|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which room is Mrs. Boyle placed?
2. Mollie asks Mrs. Boyle about her former job as a:
3. How is the murderer's overcoat described?
4. What is the surname of Mollie and Giles?
5. During what season does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item did Giles go looking for at the dump? What hindered the search?
2. What are Wren's thoughts about policemen?
3. Why did Georgie Corrigan assume the role of a police officer? Why not simply visit Monkswell Manor and kill Mrs. Boyle and Mollie?
4. How was the third murder prevented? How did Trotter react to his ruined plans?
5. How does the repeated questioning of Detective Sergeant Trotter affect Mollie? How does it affect Giles?
6. Why does Giles accuse Mollie of having an affair with Christopher Wren? How does Mollie react?
7. Mollie and Giles have a lovers' quarrel in the kitchen, witnessed in part by Paravicini. What is the cause for the quarrel? How is it resolved?
8. What is the content of the conversation between Mrs. Boyle and Major Metcalf?
9. Trotter finally manages to get some information from Miss Casewell. How long has Miss Casewell been in England? Where was she staying before she returned to the United Kingdom?
10. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone at Monkswell Manor is surprised when Detective Sergeant Trotter arrives on skis. What is Trotter's explanation? Why does everyone find it odd? Does anyone attempt to confirm Trotter's story? How would you react in the same scenario? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Paravicini warns Mollie that she is too trusting and needs to be more careful. Why does Paravicini say that to Mollie? To what is Paravicini referring? What examples does Paravicini give? Do you agree or disagree with Paravicini's comments and suggestions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When police discover the body of Maureen Lyon there is no way to know that the body would be connected to such a convoluted tale. What is the true identity of Mrs. Lyon? Why is Mrs. Lyon connected to Monkswell Manor? How do the police uncover the connection? What can be done about the ties between Monkswell Manor and the victim?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)