|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word is used to describe Mrs. Boyle?
2. How does Christopher react when the phone goes dead?
3. The police telephone from what region?
4. Mollie asks Mrs. Boyle about her former job as a:
5. What term is used to describe Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Georgie Corrigan assume the role of a police officer? Why not simply visit Monkswell Manor and kill Mrs. Boyle and Mollie?
2. Why does Mrs. Boyle choose to stay in guest houses and hotels?
3. What are the two main concerns of Giles and Mollie regarding the central heating in the house?
4. What is the first issue brought up by Mrs. Boyle? How does Giles reply to the complaint?
5. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
6. Who are the Corrigans and how do they related to the story?
7. What do the Ralstons and other guests find unusual about Miss Casewell?
8. What complaint does Giles have when a new shipment of coke is delivered?
9. What complaints does Mrs. Boyle have about the house?
10. What is the purpose of reenacting the scene just before Mrs. Boyle was killed? Would it make more sense to reenact the crime? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Paravicini ended up at Monkswell Manor after his Rolls Royce overturned in a snowdrift. Where was Paravicini going? What is the reason for the trip? What is Trotter's opinion of Paravicini's explanation? Do you agree or disagree with Trotter's opinion of Paravicini and his activities?
Essay Topic 2
Everyone at Monkswell Manor is surprised when Detective Sergeant Trotter arrives on skis. What is Trotter's explanation? Why does everyone find it odd? Does anyone attempt to confirm Trotter's story? How would you react in the same scenario? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are the names of the rooms at Monkswell Manor? What is the purpose of naming the rooms? What famous buildings have unusual names? Is it a practical or cultural thing to name rooms? What would you name your own room at Monkswell Manor? Explain.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)