|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the third guest to arrive?
2. Why does Mollie doubt the sergeant's rank?
3. What clue was found at the crime scene?
4. Which of the following is not done by Mollie when she enters the house?
5. What kind of look does Mrs. Boyle give to Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wren's opinion on Englishwomen and compliments?
2. Mollie spots the sign Giles had made for the guest house. What is wrong with the sign?
3. What is Mrs. Lyon's alleged connection to Monkswell Manor?
4. What is the purpose of reenacting the scene just before Mrs. Boyle was killed? Would it make more sense to reenact the crime? Explain.
5. What complaints does Mrs. Boyle have about the house?
6. Trotter finally manages to get some information from Miss Casewell. How long has Miss Casewell been in England? Where was she staying before she returned to the United Kingdom?
7. How does the repeated questioning of Detective Sergeant Trotter affect Mollie? How does it affect Giles?
8. What was the reason Mrs. Boyle was murdered? Was the killing justified? What could have been done to stop the crime?
9. Why does Giles accuse Mollie of having an affair with Christopher Wren? How does Mollie react?
10. Why do Mollie and Giles make separate trips to London? Why is it important to keep it a secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone at Monkswell Manor is surprised when Detective Sergeant Trotter arrives on skis. What is Trotter's explanation? Why does everyone find it odd? Does anyone attempt to confirm Trotter's story? How would you react in the same scenario? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The tune to "Three Blind Mice" is used throughout the story. What references are connected to the tune? Why is the tune so upsetting to Mollie? Why is it so well liked by Paravicini and Wren? What is your opinion of the tune? Of the rhyme? Is the tune/rhyme appropriate for the play?
Essay Topic 3
There are various metaphors used throughout the play. Explain the metaphors and their purpose for the following items: skis, pie, nursery rhymes, snow, secrecy.
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)