|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christopher hides behind what object?
2. Who notices the issue with the sign?
3. How is Mr. Parvicini's car damaged?
4. What kind of hat does the murderer wear?
5. Who is the first character to appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mollie and Giles want to surprise each other with gifts for their first anniversary. What are the gifts? What are the couple's reactions?
2. What was the reason Mrs. Boyle was murdered? Was the killing justified? What could have been done to stop the crime?
3. What is Wren's opinion on Englishwomen and compliments?
4. What complaints does Mrs. Boyle have about the house?
5. How was the third murder prevented? How did Trotter react to his ruined plans?
6. The snow reminds Miss Casewell of disturbing things. Describe Miss Casewell's thoughts.
7. Mollie makes frequent references to an unhappy past even though she claims to have had a happy childhood. To what is Mollie referring and how does it relate to the story?
8. Why is Detective Sergeant Trotter discouraged from going to Monkswell Manor?
9. Why did Georgie Corrigan assume the role of a police officer? Why not simply visit Monkswell Manor and kill Mrs. Boyle and Mollie?
10. Miss Caswell makes a joke about the reason the police want to visit the manor. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone at Monkswell Manor is surprised when Detective Sergeant Trotter arrives on skis. What is Trotter's explanation? Why does everyone find it odd? Does anyone attempt to confirm Trotter's story? How would you react in the same scenario? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The tune to "Three Blind Mice" is used throughout the story. What references are connected to the tune? Why is the tune so upsetting to Mollie? Why is it so well liked by Paravicini and Wren? What is your opinion of the tune? Of the rhyme? Is the tune/rhyme appropriate for the play?
Essay Topic 3
It is easy for Trotter to place doubts in Mollie's head regarding the identity of the killer. Why? What does Trotter say that upsets Mollie? Who does Mollie suspect? Why? Is Trotter's style of interrogation the same for everyone? Do the others react like Mollie? Explain.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)