|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the issue with the sign?
2. What item does Miss Casewell bring?
3. What was the first name of the murdered woman?
4. What occurrence is reported on the radio?
5. During what season does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the conversation between Mrs. Boyle and Major Metcalf?
2. Who are the Corrigans and how do they related to the story?
3. What are the names of the guests and their corresponding room assignments?
4. What causes the argument over the radio?
5. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
6. What is the first issue brought up by Mrs. Boyle? How does Giles reply to the complaint?
7. How does the author describe Christopher Wren?
8. What does Mollie intends to serve for dinner? What is Giles' response to the menu?
9. How does the group learn about the murder? Where did the murder take place?
10. Why did Georgie Corrigan assume the role of a police officer? Why not simply visit Monkswell Manor and kill Mrs. Boyle and Mollie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When police discover the body of Maureen Lyon there is no way to know that the body would be connected to such a convoluted tale. What is the true identity of Mrs. Lyon? Why is Mrs. Lyon connected to Monkswell Manor? How do the police uncover the connection? What can be done about the ties between Monkswell Manor and the victim?
Essay Topic 2
What are the names of the rooms at Monkswell Manor? What is the purpose of naming the rooms? What famous buildings have unusual names? Is it a practical or cultural thing to name rooms? What would you name your own room at Monkswell Manor? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When it is mentioned that the police are on their way to Monkswell Manor, several guests have strange reactions, particularly Wren and Metcalf. What is the reason for those reactions? What is Metcalf's real reason for being at Monkswell Manor? How is it discovered? What might Metcalf have done differently?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)