|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher react when the phone goes dead?
2. Who is the unexpected guest?
3. What song is being whistled in the beginning of Act 1?
4. What piece of furniture seems to be the most used on the set?
5. During what season does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the only clues the police have in the case of the murder of Mrs. Maureen Lyon?
2. It is revealed that Major Metcalf is also using an alias. Who is Metcalf really? Where is the real Major Metcalf? Is there a real Major Metcalf?
3. Christopher Wren tells Mollie that she is not at all what he had pictured. What had Christopher expected of Mollie?
4. Mollie makes frequent references to an unhappy past even though she claims to have had a happy childhood. To what is Mollie referring and how does it relate to the story?
5. What prompts the conversation about socialism?
6. Miss Casewell has reasons for her secrecy regarding her background. What are they and why is it imperative to keep it a secret?
7. Mollie and Giles want to surprise each other with gifts for their first anniversary. What are the gifts? What are the couple's reactions?
8. Why does Detective Sergeant Trotter believe that someone at the manor may be in danger?
9. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
10. Miss Caswell makes a joke about the reason the police want to visit the manor. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mollie and Mrs. Boyle were both involved in the Corrigan case. Compare and contrast the two women, their personalities, and their roles in the case of Longridge Farm. Which character is more appealing to you, and why?
Essay Topic 2
When it is mentioned that the police are on their way to Monkswell Manor, several guests have strange reactions, particularly Wren and Metcalf. What is the reason for those reactions? What is Metcalf's real reason for being at Monkswell Manor? How is it discovered? What might Metcalf have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
It had been approximately nine years since the Longridge Farm case was tried. Explain Mrs. Boyle's role in the case. What happened to the foster parents? If it had been less than ten years since the children last saw each other, why didn't Kathy and Georgie recognize one another? What prompted the recognition?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)