|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the victim's real last name?
2. What is the name of the farm?
3. Which of the following is not done by Mollie when she enters the house?
4. How does Christopher react when the phone goes dead?
5. During what season does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Detective Sergeant Trotter discouraged from going to Monkswell Manor?
2. How does Major Metcalf respond when Mrs. Boyle complains about the accommodations?
3. Miss Casewell has reasons for her secrecy regarding her background. What are they and why is it imperative to keep it a secret?
4. What is the final determination regarding Mr. Paravicini and his reason for being in the neighborhood when the snow hit?
5. Monkswell Manor is a guest house operated by Giles and Mollie Ralston. Explain the exterior of the building.
6. How does Georgie react when confronted by Kathy? How does Kathy prove her identity?
7. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
8. What complaints does Mrs. Boyle have about the house?
9. How does the author describe Christopher Wren?
10. What does Mollie intends to serve for dinner? What is Giles' response to the menu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the start, Giles Ralston and Christopher Wren clash. Explain why the two men do not get along. Is the animosity mutual? What might have caused it? Compare and contrast Giles and Wren.
Essay Topic 2
When police discover the body of Maureen Lyon there is no way to know that the body would be connected to such a convoluted tale. What is the true identity of Mrs. Lyon? Why is Mrs. Lyon connected to Monkswell Manor? How do the police uncover the connection? What can be done about the ties between Monkswell Manor and the victim?
Essay Topic 3
When it is mentioned that the police are on their way to Monkswell Manor, several guests have strange reactions, particularly Wren and Metcalf. What is the reason for those reactions? What is Metcalf's real reason for being at Monkswell Manor? How is it discovered? What might Metcalf have done differently?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)