|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street did the murder occur?
2. What is the surname of Mollie and Giles?
3. Which word is used to describe Mrs. Boyle?
4. What kind of hat does the murderer wear?
5. How is Mr. Parvicini's car damaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Boyle claim that Mollie knows nothing about housework?
2. Mollie makes frequent references to an unhappy past even though she claims to have had a happy childhood. To what is Mollie referring and how does it relate to the story?
3. What complaints does Mrs. Boyle have about the house?
4. Why is Christopher Wren so upset when it is suggested that he might be the oldest Corrigan child? What is Wren's confession to Mollie?
5. What causes the argument over the radio?
6. Christopher Wren says the weather reminds him of a particular author and piece of literature. What are they?
7. What are the two main concerns of Giles and Mollie regarding the central heating in the house?
8. Why does Mrs. Boyle choose to stay in guest houses and hotels?
9. Monkswell Manor is a guest house operated by Giles and Mollie Ralston. Explain the exterior of the building.
10. Who is the unexpected guest? How does the guest arrive at the manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Paravicini warns Mollie that she is too trusting and needs to be more careful. Why does Paravicini say that to Mollie? To what is Paravicini referring? What examples does Paravicini give? Do you agree or disagree with Paravicini's comments and suggestions? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Name at least one instance pertaining to each character in the play. Explain the significance of the method in regards to the character as well as the story.
Essay Topic 3
It is easy for Trotter to place doubts in Mollie's head regarding the identity of the killer. Why? What does Trotter say that upsets Mollie? Who does Mollie suspect? Why? Is Trotter's style of interrogation the same for everyone? Do the others react like Mollie? Explain.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)