|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear?
2. Who cooks lunch for the group?
3. What is Detective Trotter's rank?
4. What song is being whistled in the beginning of Act 1?
5. How is the murderer's overcoat described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the only clues the police have in the case of the murder of Mrs. Maureen Lyon?
2. Why do Mollie and Giles make separate trips to London? Why is it important to keep it a secret?
3. Mollie makes frequent references to an unhappy past even though she claims to have had a happy childhood. To what is Mollie referring and how does it relate to the story?
4. What was the reason Mrs. Boyle was murdered? Was the killing justified? What could have been done to stop the crime?
5. What do the Ralstons and other guests find unusual about Miss Casewell?
6. What are the two main concerns of Giles and Mollie regarding the central heating in the house?
7. What is Wren's opinion on Englishwomen and compliments?
8. What is Mrs. Lyon's alleged connection to Monkswell Manor?
9. Who is the unexpected guest? How does the guest arrive at the manor?
10. What is the purpose of reenacting the scene just before Mrs. Boyle was killed? Would it make more sense to reenact the crime? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Casewell is very mysterious about her whereabouts and her origin. Explain. Where was Miss Casewell born? Where had she been living prior to her return to England? What is Miss Casewell's true identity? Why is Miss Casewell at Monkswell Manor?
Essay Topic 2
Mollie and Mrs. Boyle were both involved in the Corrigan case. Compare and contrast the two women, their personalities, and their roles in the case of Longridge Farm. Which character is more appealing to you, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the names of the rooms at Monkswell Manor? What is the purpose of naming the rooms? What famous buildings have unusual names? Is it a practical or cultural thing to name rooms? What would you name your own room at Monkswell Manor? Explain.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)