|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of look does Mrs. Boyle give to Christopher?
2. Mollie asks Mrs. Boyle about her former job as a:
3. How was the victim murdered?
4. What term is used to describe Christopher?
5. What occurrence is reported on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mollie tells Mrs. Boyle about Christopher Wren's profession. What does Mollie say and how does Mrs. Boyle react?
2. What is the content of the conversation between Mrs. Boyle and Major Metcalf?
3. What is the first issue brought up by Mrs. Boyle? How does Giles reply to the complaint?
4. What is the real reason Miss Casewell returned to England, and more specifically, Monkswell Manor?
5. Mollie spots the sign Giles had made for the guest house. What is wrong with the sign?
6. What are the two main concerns of Giles and Mollie regarding the central heating in the house?
7. Mollie and Giles want to surprise each other with gifts for their first anniversary. What are the gifts? What are the couple's reactions?
8. What is Wren's opinion on Englishwomen and compliments?
9. What does Mollie intends to serve for dinner? What is Giles' response to the menu?
10. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is never revealed what happened to Detective Sergeant Trotter's skis. Where were the skis put for safekeeping after Trotter arrived? Who noticed that the skis were missing? Who does Mollie suggest may have used them? Who you do think took the skis? Where might the skis have been hidden?
Essay Topic 2
When it is mentioned that the police are on their way to Monkswell Manor, several guests have strange reactions, particularly Wren and Metcalf. What is the reason for those reactions? What is Metcalf's real reason for being at Monkswell Manor? How is it discovered? What might Metcalf have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning, Mrs. Boyle is argumentative and unpleasant. Why? Is there an underlying purpose to the woman's behavior? If so, what is it? What could be done to make Mrs. Boyle more comfortable and satisfied with Monkswell Manor? How does Mollie view Mrs. Boyle? What do the guests think of Mrs. Boyle?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)