|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giles and Mollie live near a:
2. Who makes rude comments about Christopher?
3. Mr. Parvicini jokes that he could be, which of the following?
4. Giles is afraid that they will run out of what item?
5. What was the first name of the murdered woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nursery rhyme does Wren sing? What is Wren's opinion about nursery rhymes?
2. The snow reminds Miss Casewell of disturbing things. Describe Miss Casewell's thoughts.
3. What are the names of the guests and their corresponding room assignments?
4. Why is Christopher Wren so upset when it is suggested that he might be the oldest Corrigan child? What is Wren's confession to Mollie?
5. Why is Detective Sergeant Trotter discouraged from going to Monkswell Manor?
6. Miss Caswell makes a joke about the reason the police want to visit the manor. What is it?
7. Trotter finally manages to get some information from Miss Casewell. How long has Miss Casewell been in England? Where was she staying before she returned to the United Kingdom?
8. What is Mrs. Lyon's real name? What was the note found with her body?
9. What do the Ralstons and other guests find unusual about Miss Casewell?
10. What prompts the conversation about socialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the story, Christopher Wren is viewed as a strange and neurotic man. Explain Wren's appearance and the mannerisms which cause the others to think Wren is unstable. Is Wren unstable? How can one tell? Which is the strangest fact about Wren in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Paravicini ended up at Monkswell Manor after his Rolls Royce overturned in a snowdrift. Where was Paravicini going? What is the reason for the trip? What is Trotter's opinion of Paravicini's explanation? Do you agree or disagree with Trotter's opinion of Paravicini and his activities?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Georgie is caught before Mollie is killed. What might have happened if Metcalf and the others had come in a minute or two later? How is Georgie handled? Who takes Georgie from the room? What might happen to Georgie regarding the murder of Mrs. Boyle? Do you think Mollie would press charges? Explain.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)