|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mollie laments that it is getting dark, even though it's what time?
2. What occurrence is reported on the radio?
3. Which place is not among those dismissed by Miss Casewell as home?
4. Where is Christopher left by himself?
5. How is the murderer's overcoat described?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is revealed that Major Metcalf is also using an alias. Who is Metcalf really? Where is the real Major Metcalf? Is there a real Major Metcalf?
2. Mollie and Giles have a lovers' quarrel in the kitchen, witnessed in part by Paravicini. What is the cause for the quarrel? How is it resolved?
3. What warning does Mollie receive from Mr. Paravicini? How does Mollie react?
4. What is the real reason Miss Casewell returned to England, and more specifically, Monkswell Manor?
5. Why is Metcalf so eager to go down into the cellar? What does Metcalf find down there? What are Metcalf's theories regarding the name of the house?
6. Monkswell Manor is a guest house operated by Giles and Mollie Ralston. Explain the exterior of the building.
7. Why was Mollie chosen as the third victim? Was Mollie at fault? What was Mollie's role in the Corrigan case?
8. What is the purpose of reenacting the scene just before Mrs. Boyle was killed? Would it make more sense to reenact the crime? Explain.
9. Christopher Wren tells Mollie that she is not at all what he had pictured. What had Christopher expected of Mollie?
10. What causes the argument over the radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, Georgie is caught before Mollie is killed. What might have happened if Metcalf and the others had come in a minute or two later? How is Georgie handled? Who takes Georgie from the room? What might happen to Georgie regarding the murder of Mrs. Boyle? Do you think Mollie would press charges? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Paravicini warns Mollie that she is too trusting and needs to be more careful. Why does Paravicini say that to Mollie? To what is Paravicini referring? What examples does Paravicini give? Do you agree or disagree with Paravicini's comments and suggestions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is never revealed what happened to Detective Sergeant Trotter's skis. Where were the skis put for safekeeping after Trotter arrived? Who noticed that the skis were missing? Who does Mollie suggest may have used them? Who you do think took the skis? Where might the skis have been hidden?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)