|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's profession?
2. Who is the third guest to arrive?
3. How does Christopher react when the phone goes dead?
4. What occurrence is reported on the radio?
5. Who is the unexpected guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is revealed that Major Metcalf is also using an alias. Who is Metcalf really? Where is the real Major Metcalf? Is there a real Major Metcalf?
2. Why is Detective Sergeant Trotter discouraged from going to Monkswell Manor?
3. Who is the unexpected guest? How does the guest arrive at the manor?
4. What are the issues the Ralstons are having with the heating system?
5. Monkswell Manor is a guest house operated by Giles and Mollie Ralston. Explain the exterior of the building.
6. How does Georgie react when confronted by Kathy? How does Kathy prove her identity?
7. What complaint does Giles have when a new shipment of coke is delivered?
8. How does the group learn about the murder? Where did the murder take place?
9. Miss Caswell makes a joke about the reason the police want to visit the manor. What is it?
10. Christopher Wren tells Mollie that she is not at all what he had pictured. What had Christopher expected of Mollie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When police discover the body of Maureen Lyon there is no way to know that the body would be connected to such a convoluted tale. What is the true identity of Mrs. Lyon? Why is Mrs. Lyon connected to Monkswell Manor? How do the police uncover the connection? What can be done about the ties between Monkswell Manor and the victim?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Paravicini warns Mollie that she is too trusting and needs to be more careful. Why does Paravicini say that to Mollie? To what is Paravicini referring? What examples does Paravicini give? Do you agree or disagree with Paravicini's comments and suggestions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Georgie is caught before Mollie is killed. What might have happened if Metcalf and the others had come in a minute or two later? How is Georgie handled? Who takes Georgie from the room? What might happen to Georgie regarding the murder of Mrs. Boyle? Do you think Mollie would press charges? Explain.
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)