|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that the world changed yesterday when discussing the World Health Organization's long awaited adoption of new prescriptions for dealing with MDR-TB?
2. Who is Jorge Perez?
3. Where does the US military detain infected Haitians in an effort to stop the spread of AIDS?
4. What three things does Paul Farmer say are co-infectious in his second lecture in Cuba?
5. What do some prominent voices in the US Government continue to argue cannot be done in 2002?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ophelia's opinion of Paul's personality?
2. Morally speaking, should all people attempt to follow Paul Farmer's example?
3. What entity mentioned in the book has the greatest impact on the treatment of MDR-TB?
4. Given his claim that if he stops moving someone will die, is Paul Farmer a megalomaniac?
5. Describe the AIDS sanatorium in Cuba.
6. Is Paul Farmer a good father?
7. How is Paul Farmer impacted by funding?
8. How does the political climate in Haiti affect attempts to improve the health of its citizens?
9. Is it moral for the medevac company to charge for its services to bring John to Boston?
10. How does the death of John Wilnot affect Zanmi Lasante?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those people who appear in smaller roles in Mountains Beyond Mountains often define those who are the focus of the book, either by contrast, relationship, or actions. Select three of the people who have smaller parts in the book that are listed below and analyze their purpose:
Ti Jean, John, Joe, Sandra Koenig, Tom White, The Warden, Alex Goldfarb, and Father Jack.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Didi Bertrand, Father Jack, and Ophelia within the context of wealth and poverty.
Essay Topic 3
Sacrificing for the betterment of others is a central theme in the book.
1) After selecting three of the people listed below, analyze the sacrifices they make in Mountains Beyond Mountains, the reasons for their sacrifices, and the results of it. Paul's Mother, Paul Farmer, Didi Bertrand, Father Jack, Jim Kim and Ophelia.
2) Then answer the following questions about sacrifice: Should a parent sacrifice time with his or her own children to save the life of another child? Another 100 children? How would you decide where that limit is?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)