|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characters are present at the end of Mountains Beyond Mountains?
2. Who said that the world changed yesterday when discussing the World Health Organization's long awaited adoption of new prescriptions for dealing with MDR-TB?
3. How does Paul Farmer channel his anger, according to Tracy Kidder?
4. How many chronic patients are either cured or in treatment due to the second line antibiotics that are made available to Peru and other locations in 2002?
5. What are PIHers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Paul Farmer a good father?
2. What is Ophelia's opinion of Paul's personality?
3. Does Jim Kim think that Paul Farmer is a good role model?
4. Explain the connection between the Open Society Institute and Partners in Health.
5. Why is Zanmi Lasante so successful?
6. Describe Carol and Serena's ride to Port-au-Prince to look for a medevac and a helicopter.
7. Why are Paul Farmer and Alex Goldfarb successful in their attempts to make significant changes?
8. How does the political climate in Haiti affect attempts to improve the health of its citizens?
9. Describe the AIDS sanatorium in Cuba.
10. How is Paul Farmer impacted by funding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Mountains Beyond Mountains politics, money, and religion all play key roles. For each, select a person from the story that represents that role and explain why you selected them and what their inclusion contributes to the book.
Essay Topic 2
Select three people from Mountains Beyond Mountains that are victims of injustice. For each one describe the injustice, what the root causes are, if it is resolved, and if so by whom. Compare these people and their situations based on these criteria.
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence from Mountains Beyond Mountains, answer the following question: Is Paul Farmer a realist or a dreamer?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)