|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Cange use as roofs on their homes when Paul first visits?
2. Who is Didi Bertrand?
3. Who discovers that many patents on TB drugs are expired and argues for the creation of generic versions?
4. What amount of debt does Tom White pay for medicine taken by Paul and Jim, as noted in the Medicos Aventureros section?
5. What is DOTS?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
2. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
3. Why does Ophelia Dahl refuse to marry Paul Farmer?
4. How do the staff and patients at Brigham & Women's react to Paul Farmer when Tracy Kidder visits in Chapter Two?
5. Why is Alexander Goldfarb reluctant to implement DOTS in Russia, in Chapter 18?
6. Describe the relative urban quiet used to describe the area in Boston where Brigham & Women's is located.
7. Describe Paul Farmer's parents.
8. Why is Rudolf Virchow important to Paul Farmer?
9. Describe Paul Farmer's appearance in the first chapter of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
10. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three people from Mountains Beyond Mountains that are victims of injustice. For each one describe the injustice, what the root causes are, if it is resolved, and if so by whom. Compare these people and their situations based on these criteria.
Essay Topic 2
Define democracy and support or refute Paul Farmer's assertion that America is not truly a democracy. Analyze each point in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In Mountains Beyond Mountains, is there a clear line drawn between good people and bad people in the book? Explain your answer with references to specific people and incidents in the book.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)