|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the staff at Zanmi Lasante believe the cure rate for Tuberculosis is so low?
2. Where did Paul Farmer first attend college on a full scholarship?
3. How does Paul Farmer say he was allowed to return to Haiti after being exiled by the junta?
4. Where does Father Jack die?
5. What is the name of the Partners in Health facility in Peru?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul Farmer's wedding like?
2. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
3. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
4. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
5. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
6. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
7. Explain the importance of the Peligre Dam to the people of Haiti.
8. Why is Alexander Goldfarb reluctant to implement DOTS in Russia, in Chapter 18?
9. Based on events in Chapter Twelve, is Paul Farmer reckless or responsible?
10. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout both history and Mountains Beyond Mountains, religion has the power to change people's beliefs and actions. In this book, is religion a positive or a negative force? How does Paul Farmer use religion to achieve his goals? What are the most powerful positive and negative examples of religion in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Ophelia Dahl and Didi Bertrand are the two main women in Paul Farmer's romantic life. Compare and contrast these two women, the way they are addressed in the book, and the way their existence affects a reader's perception of Paul Farmer and his work.
Essay Topic 3
In Mountains Beyond Mountains politics, money, and religion all play key roles. For each, select a person from the story that represents that role and explain why you selected them and what their inclusion contributes to the book.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)