|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paul Farmer frustrated when he first meets Tracy Kidder?
2. Who discovers that many patents on TB drugs are expired and argues for the creation of generic versions?
3. Where does Paul Farmer first encounter Haitian people?
4. Who is Mamito married to?
5. What does Paul Farmer switch his major from when he enters Harvard Medical School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
2. Describe Zanmi Lasante as first seen by Tracy Kidder in Chapter Three.
3. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
4. Is Paul Farmer a person of faith, as of Chapter 9?
5. Is Socios en Salud successful?
6. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
7. Why is Alexander Goldfarb reluctant to implement DOTS in Russia, in Chapter 18?
8. Describe the irony surrounding Father Jack's death.
9. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
10. What is the significance of the Section heading, The Tin Roofs of Cange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did Serena Koenig make the right decision when she ordered the medevac unit to fly the patient John to Boston? What would you have done?
Essay Topic 2
Should the United States government have gotten involved in the politics of Haiti? Be sure to cite consequences and any moral imperatives in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Didi Bertrand, Father Jack, and Ophelia within the context of wealth and poverty.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)