|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Haitian politics in 1990?
(a) Fritz Lafontant is elected president.
(b) Baby Doc Duvalier takes over.
(c) The Haitian government takes over.
(d) Jean Bertrand-Aristide is elected president.
2. What organization, in addition to the World Health Organization, does Paul Farmer present his MDR TB findings to after meeting Senora Brigada?
(a) International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
(b) The Gates Foundation.
(d) Doctors without Borders.
3. What is true of Paul Farmer when he and Tracy Kidder meet again in 1999?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He has recevied the Nobel Peace Prize.
(c) He is divorced.
(d) He is an infectious disease specialist.
4. Why is Paul Farmer frustrated when he first meets Tracy Kidder?
(a) The military presence is preventing him from helping Haitians.
(b) The American Media doesn't understand the problems of Haiti.
(c) Missionaries ignore Hatian beliefs.
(d) The American idea of aid won't help Haitians.
5. What type of map does Farmer share with Kidder in the Medicos Aventureros section?
(a) A handdrawn map.
(b) A resource map.
(c) A topographic map.
(d) An epidemiological map.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the staff at Zanmi Lasante believe the cure rate for Tuberculosis is so low?
2. Who is the most substantial donor of Zanmi Lasante?
3. How does Father Jack die?
4. What does Zanmi Lasante mean?
5. Who is Didi Bertrand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony surrounding Father Jack's death.
2. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
3. Why is the method of travel and the land around Zanmi Lasante important?
4. Is Paul Farmer a person of faith, as of Chapter 9?
5. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
6. Why is Arata Kochi important in Mountains Beyond Mountains?
7. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
8. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
9. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
10. How do the staff and patients at Brigham & Women's react to Paul Farmer when Tracy Kidder visits in Chapter Two?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)