|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By how much does the cost of TB drugs decrease by the year 2000?
2. What is true of Tom White?
(a) He is a missionary.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is a millionaire.
(d) He is marries Ophelia.
3. What symptoms of TB did the patient named Joe exhibit in 1999?
(a) Coughing up blood.
(b) Rapid weigh loss and cough.
(c) Fatigue and chest pain.
(d) High fever and cough.
4. What organization, in addition to the World Health Organization, does Paul Farmer present his MDR TB findings to after meeting Senora Brigada?
(a) Doctors without Borders.
(b) International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
(d) The Gates Foundation.
5. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
(a) 40 years old.
(b) 80 years old.
(c) 50 years old.
(d) 20 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most substantial donor of Zanmi Lasante?
2. What is Partners in Health?
3. What is an example of the small tokens his patients give to Dokte Paul?
4. How do Paul Farmer's colleagues consider his actions during Haiti's troubles in the early 1990s?
5. Why are there soldiers in Haiti in 1994?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
2. Why does Ophelia Dahl refuse to marry Paul Farmer?
3. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
4. What is the impetus for the creation of Socios en Salud?
5. Why does Paul Farmer ask the Boston Globe to publish A Death in Haiti under a pen name in Chapter Eleven?
6. Describe the relative urban quiet used to describe the area in Boston where Brigham & Women's is located.
7. Describe the irony surrounding Father Jack's death.
8. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
9. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
10. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)