|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fritz Lafontant give Paul Farmer permission to do in Cange?
(a) Collect blood samples for research.
(b) Conduct a census.
(c) Test residents for TB.
(d) Build a school.
2. Who does Paul Farmer marry?
3. What does Paul Farmer raise money for after he sees a mother and baby die during his first visit to Cange?
(a) Heart rate monitors.
(b) X-ray machines.
(c) Blood transfusion equipment.
(d) Incubation equipment.
4. What is true of the cure for Tuberculosis in Haiti at the beginning of the Medicos Aventureros section?
(a) The government has intercepted the shipment.
(b) It is not the correct type of drug for this strain of illness.
(c) It's only available in city hospitals.
(d) It's not available anywhere in the country.
5. Who is Arata Kochi?
(a) The head of the World Health Organization's TB program.
(b) The head of the Gates Foundation's TB Program.
(c) A fundraiser at a hospital in Paris.
(d) A college friend of Paul's who teaches in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of Paul Farmer when he and Tracy Kidder meet again in 1999?
2. What symptoms of TB did the patient named Joe exhibit in 1999?
3. What does Paul Farmer give the patient Joe for Christmas?
4. What does the South Carolina church invest in for the people of Cange?
5. What happens to the Peru branch of Partners in Health as a result of the civil war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on events in Chapter Twelve, is Paul Farmer reckless or responsible?
2. Explain the connection between the Open Society Institute and Partners in Health.
3. Is it moral for the medevac company to charge for its services to bring John to Boston?
4. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
5. What entity mentioned in the book has the greatest impact on the treatment of MDR-TB?
6. Describe the relative urban quiet used to describe the area in Boston where Brigham & Women's is located.
7. Does Paul Farmer treat Jim Kim with respect?
8. Why is Alexander Goldfarb reluctant to implement DOTS in Russia, in Chapter 18?
9. Explain the importance of the Peligre Dam to the people of Haiti.
10. Why is Paul Farmer a supporter of President Aristede?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)