|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is DOTS?
(a) A fund raising organization based in Boston.
(b) The traditional regimen for treating resistant TB.
(c) A sister facilty to Partners in Health.
(d) Paul Farmer's recommended approach for curing TB.
2. Where does Father Jack die?
3. What does Paul Farmer give the patient Joe for Christmas?
(b) A headstone.
4. Who discovers that many patents on TB drugs are expired and argues for the creation of generic versions?
(a) Arata Kochi.
(c) Paul Farmer.
(d) Jim Yong Kim.
5. What is Partners in Health?
(a) Tom White's Clinic in Boston.
(b) Ophelia's hospital in Cange.
(c) Paul Farmer's fund raising organization.
(d) Fitz Lafontant's Clinic in Haiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization, in addition to the World Health Organization, does Paul Farmer present his MDR TB findings to after meeting Senora Brigada?
2. How old is Paul Farmer when he and Tracy Kidder first meet?
3. What is wrong with the patient named Joe that Dr. Farmer learns about in 1999?
4. What does Paul Farmer send to Tracy Kidder before returning to Haiti for New Year's Day 2000?
5. What do Alex Goldfarb and Jim Yong Kim argue about at the 1998 Boston Conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul Farmer's appearance in the first chapter of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
2. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
3. How do the staff and patients at Brigham & Women's react to Paul Farmer when Tracy Kidder visits in Chapter Two?
4. What is Paul Farmer's wedding like?
5. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
6. Describe the irony surrounding Father Jack's death.
7. What is the significance of the Section heading, The Tin Roofs of Cange?
8. Based on events in Chapter Twelve, is Paul Farmer reckless or responsible?
9. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
10. Why is the method of travel and the land around Zanmi Lasante important?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)