|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
(a) 40 years old.
(b) 50 years old.
(c) 80 years old.
(d) 20 years old.
2. Who is Fritz Lafontant?
(a) A millionaire.
(b) A migrant worker.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A priest.
3. What happens in Haitian politics in 1990?
(a) Fritz Lafontant is elected president.
(b) Baby Doc Duvalier takes over.
(c) The Haitian government takes over.
(d) Jean Bertrand-Aristide is elected president.
4. Who was Paul's mentor?
(a) Michel Bourgeoius.
(b) Peter Penberthy.
(c) Pierre Lafountain.
(d) Rudolf Virchow.
5. What does the South Carolina church invest in for the people of Cange?
(a) Water spigots.
(b) Material for new roofs.
(c) Antibacterial soap.
(d) Wood to build out houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers that many patents on TB drugs are expired and argues for the creation of generic versions?
2. How does Father Jack die?
3. Where is Zanmi Lasante located?
4. Who is Arata Kochi?
5. What role does Ophelia play in Paul's efforts to help the people of Haiti?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Paul Farmer a person of faith, as of Chapter 9?
2. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
3. What is the significance of the Section heading, The Tin Roofs of Cange?
4. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
5. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
6. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
7. Is Socios en Salud successful?
8. What is Paul Farmer's wedding like?
9. Why does Paul Farmer ask the Boston Globe to publish A Death in Haiti under a pen name in Chapter Eleven?
10. Explain the importance of the Peligre Dam to the people of Haiti.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)