|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the people that Paul Farmer work with in Haiti lose their farms?
(a) A dam flooded the farmlands.
(b) A drought killed the crops.
(c) Years of poor farming killed the soil.
(d) Heavy rains ruined the farmlands.
2. Who is Alex Goldfarb?
(a) Tom White's representative.
(b) A Doctor with the World Health Organization.
(c) The schoolmaster in Cange.
(d) A Russian microbiologist.
3. What does Paul Farmer send to Tracy Kidder before returning to Haiti for New Year's Day 2000?
(b) A letter.
(c) A child.
(d) A book.
4. What is the name of the hospital where Paul Farmer works four months out of the year?
(a) Mass General.
(b) U Mass.
(c) Boston Children's Hospital.
(d) Brigham and Women's.
5. What is true about the drug for Tuberculosis, according to Paul Farmer?
(a) They must be take at regular intervals.
(b) It is a very forgiving drug.
(c) They tend to make children even more ill.
(d) It is easy to misdose the very young and the elderly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of the small tokens his patients give to Dokte Paul?
2. How does Paul Farmer say he was allowed to return to Haiti after being exiled by the junta?
3. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
4. What award does Paul Farmer receive in the summer of 1993?
5. Why are there soldiers in Haiti in 1994?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on events in Chapter Twelve, is Paul Farmer reckless or responsible?
2. What is Paul Farmer's wedding like?
3. What is the significance of the Section heading, The Tin Roofs of Cange?
4. Why is Alexander Goldfarb reluctant to implement DOTS in Russia, in Chapter 18?
5. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
6. Describe the WLs and AMC that Paul, Jim, and Ophelia discuss in Chapter Ten.
7. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
8. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
9. Describe Paul Farmer's appearance in the first chapter of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
10. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)