|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true of Paul Farmer when he and Tracy Kidder meet again in 1999?
(a) He is an infectious disease specialist.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He is divorced.
(d) He has recevied the Nobel Peace Prize.
2. Who is Senora Brigada?
(a) A Peruvian scientist.
(b) A hospital administrator.
(c) A Pervuian heiress.
(d) A patient with MDR TB.
3. What is Partners in Health?
(a) Paul Farmer's fund raising organization.
(b) Tom White's Clinic in Boston.
(c) Fitz Lafontant's Clinic in Haiti.
(d) Ophelia's hospital in Cange.
4. What job did Paul hold while living in France?
(a) Tour Guide.
(b) Mail Clerk.
(c) Au Pair.
5. Who is Ophelia Dahl?
(a) The administrator of a hospital in Haiti.
(b) A rich daughter of a famous actress.
(c) A reporter in Boston.
(d) Tom White's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ti kay?
2. What is Ophelia's nickname for Paul Farmer?
3. Where does Father Jack die?
4. Who does Paul Farmer marry?
5. Where did Paul Farmer first attend college on a full scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
2. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
3. Why is Rudolf Virchow important to Paul Farmer?
4. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
5. What is the impetus for the creation of Socios en Salud?
6. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
7. Why does Paul Farmer give Joe a 6 pack of beer in Chapter Two?
8. Why does Paul Farmer ask the Boston Globe to publish A Death in Haiti under a pen name in Chapter Eleven?
9. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
10. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)