|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul Farmer invent that is attributed to inspiration from his daughter?
(a) A nasal spray, instead of a shot, for the MDR TB treatment.
(b) A vitamin supplement for the water supply in Cange.
(c) Pediatric doses and a regimen for his MDR TB patients.
(d) A special MDR TB treatment for pregnant women.
2. What is ti kay?
(a) A good luck ornament.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A small house.
(d) The Haitian word for medicine.
3. Where do Paul and Father Jack first meet?
(a) Zanmi Lasante.
(b) Brigham and Women's.
(c) A church in Boston.
4. What symptoms of TB did the patient named Joe exhibit in 1999?
(a) High fever and cough.
(b) Fatigue and chest pain.
(c) Rapid weigh loss and cough.
(d) Coughing up blood.
5. What disease is Paul Farmer diagnosed with after marrying in 1996?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(b) MDR TB.
(d) Hepatitis A.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
2. What is the name of Paul's thesis?
3. What does Zanmi Lasante mean?
4. What job did Paul hold while living in France?
5. Why doesn't Paul return to Haiti in September of 1991?
Short Essay Questions
1. What entity mentioned in the book has the greatest impact on the treatment of MDR-TB?
2. Morally speaking, should all people attempt to follow Paul Farmer's example?
3. Could Partners in Health have succeeded without Paul Farmer, Ophelia Dahl, or Jim Kim?
4. Why are Paul Farmer and Alex Goldfarb successful in their attempts to make significant changes?
5. Does Paul Farmer believe that life sucks, as noted in this second TB speech in Cuba?
6. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
7. Describe Serena Koenig.
8. Describe the relative urban quiet used to describe the area in Boston where Brigham & Women's is located.
9. How do epidemiological maps give insight into the TB epidemic in Haiti?
10. Does Paul Farmer treat Jim Kim with respect?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)