|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the South Carolina church invest in for the people of Cange?
(a) Antibacterial soap.
(b) Material for new roofs.
(c) Water spigots.
(d) Wood to build out houses.
2. How do Paul Farmer's colleagues consider his actions during Haiti's troubles in the early 1990s?
3. What nickname did his daughters give to Paul Farmer's father?
(a) The Captain.
(b) The Major.
(c) The Warden.
(d) The Ringmaster.
4. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 50 years old.
(c) 40 years old.
(d) 80 years old.
5. What is true of the cure for Tuberculosis in Haiti at the beginning of the Medicos Aventureros section?
(a) It's not available anywhere in the country.
(b) It is not the correct type of drug for this strain of illness.
(c) The government has intercepted the shipment.
(d) It's only available in city hospitals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paul work when he first goes to Haiti?
2. What other diseases are the patients that Paul Farmer sees in Haiti very likely to have in conjunction with Tuberculosis, according to comments in Medicos Aventureros?
3. What do the people of Cange use as roofs on their homes when Paul first visits?
4. What are the names of Paul Farmer's parents?
5. What is the name of Paul's thesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul Farmer's parents.
2. Describe the political climate of Haiti at the beginning of the book in 1994.
3. Describe Jim Yong Kim.
4. Describe Zanmi Lasante as first seen by Tracy Kidder in Chapter Three.
5. Explain how the author observes Paul Farmer beginning each day in Chapter Three.
6. Why is Arata Kochi important in Mountains Beyond Mountains?
7. Why is the method of travel and the land around Zanmi Lasante important?
8. Why does Ophelia Dahl refuse to marry Paul Farmer?
9. What is Paul Farmer's wedding like?
10. Is Paul Farmer a person of faith, as of Chapter 9?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)