|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Partners in Health?
(a) Ophelia's hospital in Cange.
(b) Paul Farmer's fund raising organization.
(c) Tom White's Clinic in Boston.
(d) Fitz Lafontant's Clinic in Haiti.
2. What happens in Haitian politics in 1990?
(a) Jean Bertrand-Aristide is elected president.
(b) The Haitian government takes over.
(c) Baby Doc Duvalier takes over.
(d) Fritz Lafontant is elected president.
3. What is the Artibonte?
(a) A Haitian dialect.
(b) A river.
(c) A clinic.
(d) A dam.
4. What is DOTS?
(a) A sister facilty to Partners in Health.
(b) Paul Farmer's recommended approach for curing TB.
(c) The traditional regimen for treating resistant TB.
(d) A fund raising organization based in Boston.
5. What is true about the drug for Tuberculosis, according to Paul Farmer?
(a) It is a very forgiving drug.
(b) It is easy to misdose the very young and the elderly.
(c) They tend to make children even more ill.
(d) They must be take at regular intervals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paul Farmer frustrated when he first meets Tracy Kidder?
2. What is Tracy Kidder's job in 1994?
3. What action does Paul Farmer take after meeting and examining the patient named Joe in 1999?
4. Where does Paul Farmer invite Tracy Kidder just before New Year's Day 2000?
5. Who is the most substantial donor of Zanmi Lasante?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the impetus for the creation of Socios en Salud?
2. Is the DOTS treatment as described in Chapter 15 effective?
3. Describe the TB study designed by Paul Farmer in Chapter Four.
4. How do the staff and patients at Brigham & Women's react to Paul Farmer when Tracy Kidder visits in Chapter Two?
5. Why does Paul Farmer ask the Boston Globe to publish A Death in Haiti under a pen name in Chapter Eleven?
6. Explain why Paul Farmer and Ophelia fight over Diet Coke in Chapter Ten.
7. Describe Paul Farmer's appearance in the first chapter of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
8. Describe Paul Farmer's parents.
9. Why is the method of travel and the land around Zanmi Lasante important?
10. Describe the irony surrounding Father Jack's death.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)