|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things does Paul Farmer say are co-infectious in his second lecture in Cuba?
(a) Infectious disease, poor diet, and polluted water.
(b) Poverty, inequality, and poor health.
(c) Wealth, ignorance, and success.
(d) Wealth, poverty, and tuberculosis.
2. How does Paul Farmer refer to poverty in A Light Month for Travel?
(a) A curse.
(b) As a social condition.
(c) As this century's Black Plague.
(d) An inherited disease.
3. Why does Paul Farmer travel light when he flies?
(a) To bring needed items and gifts.
(b) He keeps all the clothes he needs in both Boston and Cange.
(c) To avoid waiting for luggage.
(d) To avoid stress to his shoulder.
4. How does Serena Koenig describe the Lascahobas situation?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) Disaster waiting to happen.
(c) A pocket of organization amidst chaos.
(d) A dream come true.
5. What resulted from the case of John that is told in the O for the P?
(a) A Zanmi Lasante training for local Haitians.
(b) A partnership between Mass General and Partners in Health.
(c) New equipment donated to Zanmi Lasante.
(d) A new assistant for Paul Farmer.
6. What expansion does Paul Farmer begin in the summer of 2002?
(a) Gates and Parters TB Clinic.
(b) Socios en Salud.
(c) Tomsk Oblast Tuberculosis Hospital.
(d) Zanmi Lasante.
7. Who guarantees Paul Farmer's 2002 expansion loan?
(a) Bill Gates.
(b) Ophelia's father.
(c) Melinda Gates.
(d) Tom White.
8. Who does Paul Farmer say that the women of Haiti caught HIV from?
(a) Soldiers and truck drivers.
(b) Politicians and poachers.
(c) Their husbands.
9. Who helps a group of Cangeois to draft a petition for electricity to President Aristide?
(a) Serena Koenig.
(b) Didi Farmer.
(c) Tracy Kidder.
(d) Ti Fifi.
10. Where does the author say that Jim was happy to work in the O for the P section?
(a) In Russia.
(b) Away from the action.
(d) In a goldfish bowl.
11. What does Paul Farmer write to Tracy Kidder in regards to the blood bank in Cange?
(a) There will be no more weeping over blood.
(b) It is the result of a dream partnership.
(c) This is the type of bank that supports humanity.
(d) Lifeblood has finally arrived.
12. Who manages the construction of a second operating room for Zanmi Lasante in 2002?
(a) Alex Goldfarb.
(b) Julianna DeWolf.
(c) Tracy Kidder.
(d) Fritz LaFontant.
13. Why does Paul Farmer tell Tracy Kidder that he can't slow down a pace he knows is much too fast?
(a) He's afraid Catherine will be disappointed in him.
(b) He can't seem to locate the brake.
(c) He's afraid someone will die needlessly.
(d) He's chasing a moving goal.
14. What type of doctors does Paul Farmer says he wants to work at his clinic in A Light Month for Travel?
(a) People less driven than himself.
(b) People as driven as himself.
(c) Indigenous Haitians.
(d) Women and minorities.
15. What two characters are present at the end of Mountains Beyond Mountains?
(a) The author and Paul Farmer.
(b) Jim Yong Kim and Paul Farmer.
(c) Paul Famer and Catherine.
(d) Paul Farmer and a young patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other disease do the Russian patients that Paul Farmer treats for TB also tend to have?
2. When the patient named John is referred by Paul Farmer and sent for treatment, what disease does he have?
3. What is Lascahobas?
4. After "beefing up" what is true of the Lascahobas facility?
5. How did receiving the Gates endowment affect the fund-raising efforts by Partners in Health?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)