|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ophelia's nickname for Paul Farmer?
2. Who is Mamito married to?
(a) Fritz Lafontant.
(b) Tom White.
(c) Baby Doc Duvalier.
(d) Jim Yong Kim.
3. Who brings Partners in Health to Peru?
(b) Father Jack.
(c) Jim Yong Kim.
(d) Senora Brigada.
4. Who discovers that many patents on TB drugs are expired and argues for the creation of generic versions?
(a) Jim Yong Kim.
(b) Arata Kochi.
(c) Paul Farmer.
5. Who is Jean Bertrand-Aristide?
(a) A reporter who writes about Zanmi Lasante.
(b) A soldier who is befriended by Paul.
(c) Ophelia's husband.
(d) A priest and friend of Paul's.
6. Where does Father Jack die?
7. What happens in Haitian politics in 1990?
(a) The Haitian government takes over.
(b) Fritz Lafontant is elected president.
(c) Baby Doc Duvalier takes over.
(d) Jean Bertrand-Aristide is elected president.
8. What is ti kay?
(a) A small house.
(b) A good luck ornament.
(c) The Haitian word for medicine.
(d) A small boat.
9. What is the average lifespan in Haiti, according to the first section of the novel?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 80 years old.
(c) 40 years old.
(d) 50 years old.
10. Where was Paul Farmer raised?
(a) In his Grandma's house.
(b) On army bases all over the world.
(c) On a farm in Nebraska.
(d) In a trailer park, boat, and bus in America.
11. What role does Ophelia play in Paul's efforts to help the people of Haiti?
(a) She drives Haitians from outlying regions to Paul's facility.
(b) She funds his efforts.
(c) She spreads to word of his efforts via the Boston Globe.
(d) She works with Partners in Health.
12. Who is Julianna DeWolf?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A nun.
(c) Paul's first love.
(d) A reporter.
13. What is the name of the hospital where Paul Farmer works four months out of the year?
(a) Mass General.
(b) Brigham and Women's.
(c) U Mass.
(d) Boston Children's Hospital.
14. What do the people of Cange use as roofs on their homes when Paul first visits?
(a) No roofs.
(b) Tin roofs.
(c) Thatched banana leaf roofs.
(d) Planked wooden roofs.
15. How does Paul Farmer say he was allowed to return to Haiti after being exiled by the junta?
(a) The new regime invited him to return.
(b) He carries a false passport.
(d) A bribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Paul Farmer take after meeting and examining the patient named Joe in 1999?
2. What other diseases are the patients that Paul Farmer sees in Haiti very likely to have in conjunction with Tuberculosis, according to comments in Medicos Aventureros?
3. What does Paul Farmer switch his major from when he enters Harvard Medical School?
4. Who is Ophelia Dahl?
5. By how much does the cost of TB drugs decrease by the year 2000?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)