|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the voice-over in Act 3 begins, what happens to the lights?
2. When the Sergeant says "these people," whom is he referring to?
3. What does the Young Woman want in return for her offer to the Segeant?
4. What does the Old Woman do to help her son?
5. Why does the Young Woman scream in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are elements of the setting (both time and physical) that are very concrete or very abstract. Discuss this use of ambiguous setting to develop an explanation Pinter's goal in using this type of setting.
Essay Topic 2
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
Essay Topic 3
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)