|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Young Woman try to negotiate with the Sergeant?
2. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
3. Where does the guard look at the beginning of Act 4?
4. When the Sergeant says "these people," whom is he referring to?
5. What does the Prisoner have on his face at the beginning of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 3
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)