|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man in Act 3 wearing a hood?
2. What does the Prisoner have on his face at the beginning of Act 4?
3. How does the Old Woman communicate in Act 4?
4. What does the Young Woman want in return for her offer to the Segeant?
5. What does the Sergeant apologize to the Young Woman for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 2
Although these women are faithful to the men in their families, the men are the helpless ones and, comparatively, they have all the authority. Discuss the ruptured nature of the patriarchal family system in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 3
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)