|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Sergeant cursing about at the beginning of Act 3?
2. What is the tone of the Sergeant's apology?
3. What is the Sergeant's response to the Young Woman's offer?
4. As the Old Woman sits in Act 4, what does she do?
5. As the prisoner sits in Act 4, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use and relevance of modern objects and references in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 3
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)