|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the prisoner at the end of Act 4?
2. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
3. What does the Young Woman offer the Sergeant in Act 3?
4. What does the Sergeant apologize to the Young Woman for?
5. What does the Young Woman want in return for her offer to the Segeant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
Essay Topic 2
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)