|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hooded the man's head?
2. What does the Old Woman do to help her son?
3. Why does the Young Woman try to negotiate with the Sergeant?
4. What rule has changed in Act 4?
5. How does the Sergeant describe the group at the beginning of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)