|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Sergeant says "these people," whom is he referring to?
2. What happens to the prisoner at the end of Act 4?
3. What is the tone of the Sergeant's apology?
4. What does the Prisoner have on his face at the beginning of Act 4?
5. How does the Old Woman communicate in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
Essay Topic 2
There are elements of the setting (both time and physical) that are very concrete or very abstract. Discuss this use of ambiguous setting to develop an explanation Pinter's goal in using this type of setting.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)