|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Young Woman want in return for her offer to the Segeant?
2. As the Old Woman sits in Act 4, what does she do?
3. Why doesn't the Old Woman respond to the prisoner?
4. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
5. What does the Sergeant blame the "mix up" in Act 3 on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 3
There are elements of the setting (both time and physical) that are very concrete or very abstract. Discuss this use of ambiguous setting to develop an explanation Pinter's goal in using this type of setting.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)