|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the guard look at the beginning of Act 4?
2. When the Sergeant says "these people," whom is he referring to?
3. Why doesn't the Old Woman respond to the prisoner?
4. The Sergeant says, "What can I do for you, dear lady, as they used to say in ________."
5. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 2
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)