|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sergeant claim he did for the Old Woman and the prisoner?
2. What happens to the prisoner at the end of Act 4?
3. Why does the Young Woman try to negotiate with the Sergeant?
4. What is the Sergeant cursing about at the beginning of Act 3?
5. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
Essay Topic 1
The Sergeant is the only character who appears in every scene and is the most senior person in the prison. Discuss his roles as both protagonist and antagonist and his importance to the play, both in subtlety and blatant action.
Essay Topic 2
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)