|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Old Woman communicate in Act 4?
2. As the Old Woman sits in Act 4, what does she do?
3. What happens to the prisoner at the end of Act 4?
4. When the voice-over in Act 3 begins, what happens to the lights?
5. The Sergeant says, "What can I do for you, dear lady, as they used to say in ________."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the strategy of truth and insincerity in Mountain Language. Discuss how it directs the play and how one is misconstrued for the other, adding another layer of obscurity in people's honesty.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)