|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the voice-over in Act 3 begins, what happens to the lights?
2. What rule has changed in Act 4?
3. What does the Prisoner have on his face at the beginning of Act 4?
4. How does the Old Woman communicate in Act 4?
5. As the prisoner sits in Act 4, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)