|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the Old Woman respond to the prisoner?
2. What does the Sergeant claim he did for the Old Woman and the prisoner?
3. What can Joseph Dokes tell the Young Woman?
4. When the voice-over in Act 3 begins, what happens to the lights?
5. What is the Sergeant cursing about at the beginning of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 2
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)