|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prisoner's relationship with the Old Woman?
2. The Young Woman has her arm around ________ as she waits at the wall.
3. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
4. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
5. How many children does the prisoner have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Officer's attitude towards women?
2. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
3. Is the Sergeant generally apologetic that Sarah is in the room?
4. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
5. Did the Sergeant try to help the prisoner?
6. What is the family of the prisoner in Act 2 like?
7. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
8. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
9. Why doesn't the Old Woman help her son?
10. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use and relevance of modern objects and references in the play.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Mountain Language nothing is resolved. Discuss what is actually occurring at the conclusion of the play, its point, and the change that has occurred.
Essay Topic 3
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)