|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sergeant call the women's husbands?
2. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
3. Who does the Old Woman say is waiting for the prisoner?
4. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the Old Woman brave?
2. Can the Old Woman understand the language of the capital?
3. Why does the Sergeant show Sarah her husband?
4. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
5. How does the Sergeant's attitude in Act 4 compare with his attitude in Act 3?
6. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
7. Did the Sergeant try to help the prisoner?
8. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
9. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
10. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Mountain Language nothing is resolved. Discuss what is actually occurring at the conclusion of the play, its point, and the change that has occurred.
Essay Topic 3
There are elements of the setting (both time and physical) that are very concrete or very abstract. Discuss this use of ambiguous setting to develop an explanation Pinter's goal in using this type of setting.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)