|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the guard call the Sergeant?
2. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
3. The second time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
4. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
5. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the guard have a hostile attitude toward the Old Woman and the son?
2. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
3. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
4. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
5. Why doesn't the Old Woman speak in Act 1?
6. What do the soldiers represent?
7. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
8. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
9. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
10. What is the Old Woman and her son's relationship like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 2
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)