|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the guard harbor an attitude against the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
2. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
3. How many children does the prisoner have?
4. The second time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
2. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the family of the prisoner in Act 2 like?
5. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
6. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
7. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
8. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
9. Why is the prisoner trembling at the beginning of Act 4?
10. Why doesn't the Old Woman speak in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
Essay Topic 2
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)