|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guard use to jab the Old Woman?
2. What can't the Old Woman do?
3. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
4. What time is it in Act 1?
5. The Sergeant observes that the Young Woman looks like a(n) ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the women have not committed a crime, what is their "crime?"
2. Why doesn't the Old Woman help her son?
3. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
4. Why is there no set description in Act 1?
5. What is the Old Woman and her son's relationship like?
6. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
7. Where are the Old Woman and her son in Act 3?
8. Does Sarah care about her husband?
9. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
10. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent for the majority of the play. Discuss the themes and statements that arise through her silence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the strategy of truth and insincerity in Mountain Language. Discuss how it directs the play and how one is misconstrued for the other, adding another layer of obscurity in people's honesty.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)