|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prisoner call the Old Woman?
2. The second time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
3. Why is the Young Woman's husband "in the wrong batch?"
4. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What kind of dog bit the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
2. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
3. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
4. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
5. How does the Old Woman communicate with her son?
6. Why does the guard have a hostile attitude toward the Old Woman and the son?
7. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
8. Why are the two women at the prison?
9. Why does Sarah attempt to negotiate with the Sergeant?
10. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use and relevance of modern objects and references in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)