|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
2. What does the Sergeant call the women's husbands?
3. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
4. How many times is the Young Woman asked to state her name?
5. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
2. What is the family of the prisoner in Act 2 like?
3. What do the soldiers represent?
4. Why are the rules changing?
5. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
6. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
7. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
8. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
9. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
10. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what characterizes Pinter's style and how it aids or defines the attitude of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)