|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
2. How do the Old Woman and the prisoner communicate?
3. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
4. What can't the Old Woman do?
5. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
2. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
3. Did the Sergeant try to help the prisoner?
4. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
5. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
6. How does the Sergeant's attitude in Act 4 compare with his attitude in Act 3?
7. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
10. Is the Sergeant generally apologetic that Sarah is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Pinter's message about humanity overall in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 3
The officers attempt to be cruel and belittle the women and prisoners in the play. Discuss the success and failure of intimidation in the play and how it reflects the character and what he/she represents.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)