|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
2. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
3. What does the Sergeant call the women's husbands?
4. What does the Old Woman cradle in her hand as she waits at the prison wall?
5. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
2. Why does the guard have a hostile attitude toward the Old Woman and the son?
3. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
4. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
5. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
6. What is the Young Woman's second complaint to the Officer?
7. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
8. Although the women have not committed a crime, what is their "crime?"
9. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
10. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent for the majority of the play. Discuss the themes and statements that arise through her silence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)