|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sergeant enters the Visitors Room at the end of Act 2, asking "What _____?"
2. Dog's must ______ themselves before biting.
3. The Sergeant observes that the Young Woman looks like a(n) ________.
4. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
5. When the Old Woman and Prisoner begin to speak, what happens to the stage lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can the Old Woman understand the language of the capital?
2. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
3. How separate is the Old Woman from the other characters in Act 2?
4. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
5. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
6. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
7. Is the Old Woman brave?
8. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
9. Why does the Sergeant show Sarah her husband?
10. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Mountain Language nothing is resolved. Discuss what is actually occurring at the conclusion of the play, its point, and the change that has occurred.
Essay Topic 2
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 3
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)