|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
2. What is the guard's attitude towards the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
3. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
4. How do the Old Woman and the prisoner communicate?
5. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the two women at the prison?
2. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
3. Who is the Sergeant referring to in his last line in Act 4 where he says "these people?"
4. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
5. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
6. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
7. Will the Sergeant keep his promise that Sarah's husband will be safe if she sleeps with Dokes? Why or why not?
8. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
9. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
10. What will happen to these characters after the conclusion of Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 2
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)