Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers are meant to represent:
2. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
5. Is the Old Woman brave?
6. Why are the two women at the prison?
7. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
10. Why are the rules changing?
Essay Topic 1
Although these women are faithful to the men in their families, the men are the helpless ones and, comparatively, they have all the authority. Discuss the ruptured nature of the patriarchal family system in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 2
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what characterizes Pinter's style and how it aids or defines the attitude of the play.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)