|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
2. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
3. What does the guard instruct the Prisoner to tell the Old Woman to do?
4. What is the prisoner's relationship with the Old Woman?
5. What can't the Old Woman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
2. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
3. What is the significance of language in Act 4?
4. Why are the rules changing?
5. Why are the two women at the prison?
6. Why are the women's husbands in prison? How can you infer this?
7. Why does the Officer move closer to the women in Act 1?
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. How does the Old Woman communicate with her son?
10. Why is the prisoner trembling at the beginning of Act 4?
Essay Topic 1
Although these women are faithful to the men in their families, the men are the helpless ones and, comparatively, they have all the authority. Discuss the ruptured nature of the patriarchal family system in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 2
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)