|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the guard call the Sergeant?
2. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
3. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
4. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Sarah care about her husband?
2. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
3. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
4. Why does the guard prod the Old Woman with a stick as she talks to her son?
5. Is Sarah surprised to see her husband?
6. What is the significance of language in Act 4?
7. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
8. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
9. Who is Joseph Dokes?
10. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent for the majority of the play. Discuss the themes and statements that arise through her silence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what characterizes Pinter's style and how it aids or defines the attitude of the play.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)