Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers are meant to represent:
2. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
5. Is the Old Woman brave?
6. Why are the two women at the prison?
7. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
10. Why are the rules changing?
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)