|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
2. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Which guard dog bit the Old Woman?
4. The Sergeant enters the Visitors Room at the end of Act 2, asking "What _____?"
5. What does the Prisoner call the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the Old Woman speak in Act 1?
2. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
3. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
4. Why is the prisoner trembling at the beginning of Act 4?
5. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
6. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
7. What will happen to these characters after the conclusion of Act 2?
8. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
9. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
10. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are elements of the setting (both time and physical) that are very concrete or very abstract. Discuss this use of ambiguous setting to develop an explanation Pinter's goal in using this type of setting.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pinter's message about humanity overall in Mountain Language.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)