|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kids does the guard have?
2. What language is outlawed?
3. What kind of dog bit the Old Woman?
4. How many children does the prisoner have?
5. What time did the women arrive at the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
2. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
3. Is the guard passive?
4. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
5. Why does Sarah Johnson look like an "intellectual?"
6. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
7. Why does the guard prod the Old Woman with a stick as she talks to her son?
8. What will happen to these characters after the conclusion of Act 2?
9. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
10. Why is there no set description in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)