Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers are meant to represent:
2. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
5. Is the Old Woman brave?
6. Why are the two women at the prison?
7. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
10. Why are the rules changing?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what characterizes Pinter's style and how it aids or defines the attitude of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Mountain Language nothing is resolved. Discuss what is actually occurring at the conclusion of the play, its point, and the change that has occurred.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)