Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers are meant to represent:
2. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
5. Is the Old Woman brave?
6. Why are the two women at the prison?
7. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
10. Why are the rules changing?
Essay Topic 1
The Sergeant is the only character who appears in every scene and is the most senior person in the prison. Discuss his roles as both protagonist and antagonist and his importance to the play, both in subtlety and blatant action.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pinter's message about humanity overall in Mountain Language.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)