|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
2. What characterizes the Prisoner's family?
3. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
4. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What kind of dog bit the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
2. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
3. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
4. Why does the guard prod the Old Woman with a stick as she talks to her son?
5. What is the Young Woman's second complaint to the Officer?
6. What do the soldiers represent?
7. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
8. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
9. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
10. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the strategy of truth and insincerity in Mountain Language. Discuss how it directs the play and how one is misconstrued for the other, adding another layer of obscurity in people's honesty.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)