|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
2. How does the Young Woman respond when asked her name?
3. What does the guard use to jab the Old Woman?
4. What does the Prisoner call the Old Woman?
5. What is the prisoner's relationship with the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
2. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
3. Why is there no set description in Act 1?
4. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
5. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
6. What is the Officer's attitude towards women?
7. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
8. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
9. How does Act 3 reflect Act 2?
10. Why does the Officer move closer to the women in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 2
The officers constantly try to manipulate the women and prisoners to get what they want and exert authority. Discuss how much of the play is developed by characters' tricks and whether or not the tricks and games have their desired outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pinter's message about humanity overall in Mountain Language.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)