Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers are meant to represent:
2. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
5. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
3. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
4. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
5. Is the Old Woman brave?
6. Why are the two women at the prison?
7. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
8. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
9. Where is Sarah Johnson during Act 2?
10. Why are the rules changing?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Pinter's message about humanity overall in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Woman is silent but very present in the play. What does she represent? How strong or influential is she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)