|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
2. Who does the Old Woman say is waiting for the prisoner?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. What is the Young Woman's first complaint?
5. Dog's must ______ themselves before biting.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
2. What is the significance of language in Act 4?
3. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
4. Where are the Old Woman and her son in Act 3?
5. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
6. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
7. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
8. Why is Charly wearing a hood?
9. Is the guard passive?
10. Will the Sergeant keep his promise that Sarah's husband will be safe if she sleeps with Dokes? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although these women are faithful to the men in their families, the men are the helpless ones and, comparatively, they have all the authority. Discuss the ruptured nature of the patriarchal family system in Mountain Language.
Essay Topic 2
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the negativity in Mountain Language comes from discrimination. Compare the discriminatory attitudes in our culture to those in the play.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)