|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prisoner says the Old Woman understand the guard's orders because:
2. Why is the Young Woman visiting her husband?
3. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
5. Why does the guard harbor an attitude against the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
2. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
3. Is the guard passive?
4. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
5. How does the Sergeant describe the gathering at the beginning of Act 3? Why?
6. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
7. Can the Old Woman understand the language of the capital?
8. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
9. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
10. Who is the Sergeant referring to in his last line in Act 4 where he says "these people?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Language among the characters is a key tool. The officers use curse words to intimidate the women, while the women are forbidden to speak mountain language. Discuss the dilemma that language use brings to the play and its significance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use and relevance of modern objects and references in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Many hateful comments by the officers are more absurd than anything. Discuss the commentary on "hate" through its coupling with absurdity in the play.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)