|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
2. What time is it in Act 1?
3. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
4. What can't the Old Woman do?
5. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
2. How does Act 3 reflect Act 2?
3. What is the family of the prisoner in Act 2 like?
4. Why are the women's husbands in prison? How can you infer this?
5. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
6. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
7. Is the Sergeant generally apologetic that Sarah is in the room?
8. What is the guard's attitude toward the Old Woman and her son?
9. Why does Sarah attempt to negotiate with the Sergeant?
10. What is the Young Woman's second complaint to the Officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Sarah Johnson's character reveals about women in the context of the play and its broader statement about humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Although all the characters in Mountain Language are opposites, each shares some similar element (either in attitude or family). Discuss and compare the characters of the play to find the meaning in their similarities.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)