|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What isn't the guard's fault, according to the guard?
3. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
4. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
2. What do the soldiers represent?
3. Is Sarah surprised to see her husband?
4. What will happen to these characters after the conclusion of Act 2?
5. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
6. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
7. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
8. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
9. Why doesn't the Old Woman help her son?
10. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the capital signifies: how it defines general humanity and society and what it represents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
Half of the characters in Mountain Language are given names, while the other half are not. Discuss this balance of ambiguity and specificity and how the presence or absence of name defines the character and what they represent.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)