|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
2. The Young Woman does not speak ________.
3. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
4. The Sergeant observes that the Young Woman looks like a(n) ________.
5. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the prisoner a "joker?"
2. Who is Joseph Dokes?
3. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
4. What is the Officer's attitude towards women?
5. How does the Sergeant's attitude in Act 4 compare with his attitude in Act 3?
6. What is the Young Woman's first complaint to the Officer?
7. Who is the Sergeant referring to in his last line in Act 4 where he says "these people?"
8. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
9. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
10. Where are the Old Woman and her son in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "men" in Mountain Language. Discuss their attitudes towards women and their authority. What is Pinter's commentary on men and masculinity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what characterizes Pinter's style and how it aids or defines the attitude of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Although these women are faithful to the men in their families, the men are the helpless ones and, comparatively, they have all the authority. Discuss the ruptured nature of the patriarchal family system in Mountain Language.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)