|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) It's cold.
(b) The Sergeant's being mean to him.
(c) The women won't answer his question.
(d) He didn't eat breakfast.
2. What time is it in Act 1?
(b) 7 PM.
(d) 5 PM.
3. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
(a) The guard is inarticulate.
(b) They don't speak the same language.
(c) The guard whispers.
(d) The Prisoner keeps interrupting.
4. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A dog.
(b) A basket.
(c) A sleeping bag.
(d) A baby.
5. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
2. What does the guard use to jab the Old Woman?
3. The Young Woman does not speak ________.
4. The officers are meant to represent:
5. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
2. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
3. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
4. Why does the Officer move closer to the women in Act 1?
5. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
6. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
7. What do the soldiers represent?
8. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
9. Will the Sergeant keep his promise that Sarah's husband will be safe if she sleeps with Dokes? Why or why not?
10. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)