|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Young Woman has her arm around ________ as she waits at the wall.
(a) No one.
(c) The Old Woman.
(d) The officers.
2. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) The Young Woman.
(b) The guard.
(c) No one.
(d) The Prisoner.
3. Why does the guard harbor an attitude against the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
(a) Because they're mean.
(b) Because they have magic powers.
(c) Because they're from the mountains.
(d) Because they've traveled.
4. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
(a) She is getting sassy.
(b) She 's cursing the capital.
(c) She is telling her son how to escape.
(d) She is speaking mountain language.
5. Who instituted the new language outlaw?
(a) A worker's union.
(b) The Sergeant.
(c) The capital.
(d) The king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guard instruct the Prisoner to tell the Old Woman to do?
2. The Young Woman does not speak ________.
3. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Who does the Old Woman say is waiting for the prisoner?
5. What isn't the guard's fault, according to the guard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Old Woman and her son have the opportunity to talk?
2. How does the Old Woman communicate with her son?
3. Are mountain people well respected in Mountain Language?
4. Why does Sarah attempt to negotiate with the Sergeant?
5. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
6. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
7. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
8. Is the Young Woman (Sarah Johnson) from the mountains? How does this affect the soldiers?
9. Can the Old Woman understand the language of the capital?
10. Why is there no set description in Act 1?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)