|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
(a) He tells good jokes.
(b) He talked back to the guard.
(c) He's not very intelligent.
(d) He says ridiculous things.
2. Who instituted the new language outlaw?
(a) A worker's union.
(b) The capital.
(c) The Sergeant.
(d) The king.
3. What characterizes the Prisoner's family?
4. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) The women won't answer his question.
(b) He didn't eat breakfast.
(c) It's cold.
(d) The Sergeant's being mean to him.
5. What does the Old Woman cradle in her hand as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A baby.
(b) Her own hand.
(c) An animal.
(d) A bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
2. Why are the women's husbands in prison?
3. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
4. The Sergeant observes that the Young Woman looks like a(n) ________.
5. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Officer's attitude towards women?
2. Did the Sergeant try to help the prisoner?
3. Why doesn't the Old Woman help her son?
4. Why does the Officer become angry with the women when he asks their names?
5. What is the significance of language in Act 4?
6. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
7. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
8. Where are the Old Woman and her son in Act 3?
9. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
10. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)