|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Old Woman and Prisoner begin to speak, what happens to the stage lights?
(a) They dim.
(c) They get brighter.
(d) They go off.
2. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
3. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
4. Why is the Young Woman visiting her husband?
(a) She was summoned.
(b) He's very ill.
(c) She's bored.
(d) She wants a divorce.
5. Why does the guard harbor an attitude against the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
(a) Because they're from the mountains.
(b) Because they've traveled.
(c) Because they have magic powers.
(d) Because they're mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time did the women arrive at the prison?
2. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
3. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
4. What is the guard's attitude towards the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
5. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there no set description in Act 1?
2. Who is the Sergeant referring to in his last line in Act 4 where he says "these people?"
3. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
4. Why does the Sergeant show Sarah her husband?
5. Why does the guard prod the Old Woman with a stick as she talks to her son?
6. Is the Old Woman brave?
7. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
8. What is the relevance of the voice-over in Act 2?
9. Why doesn't the Old Woman speak in Act 1?
10. How separate is the Old Woman from the other characters in Act 2?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)