|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
(a) He tells good jokes.
(b) He talked back to the guard.
(c) He says ridiculous things.
(d) He's not very intelligent.
2. What isn't the guard's fault, according to the guard?
(a) That the Old Woman can't understand.
(b) That he's mean.
(c) That it's cold.
(d) That the prisoner is treated badly.
3. The "official" language is spoken where?
(d) The capital.
4. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
5. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A sleeping bag.
(b) A dog.
(c) A baby.
(d) A basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't the Old Woman do?
2. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
4. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
5. Who asks the Young Woman for her name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which rule(s) have changed in Act 4?
2. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
3. Is the Sergeant generally apologetic that Sarah is in the room?
4. What is the attitude of "the capital?"
5. What does the Old Woman communicate through her silence in Act 4?
6. Does the guard have the same attitude in Act 4 as in Act 2?
7. Why are the rules for dogs absurd in Act 1?
8. What is the significance of the names "Sarah" and "Charly"?
9. Why doesn't the Old Woman help her son?
10. How separate is the Old Woman from the other characters in Act 2?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)