|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks the Young Woman for her name?
(a) A voice off-stage.
(b) The Sergeant.
(c) The Old Woman.
(d) The Officer.
2. The "official" language is spoken where?
(d) The capital.
3. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) It's cold.
(b) He didn't eat breakfast.
(c) The women won't answer his question.
(d) The Sergeant's being mean to him.
4. How does the Young Woman respond when asked her name?
(a) She gives a false name.
(b) She makes taunting noises.
(c) She says she's already given it.
(d) She gives her name.
5. The officers are meant to represent:
(b) Poor people.
(c) The capital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
3. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
4. What kind of dog bit the Old Woman?
5. When the Old Woman and Prisoner begin to speak, what happens to the stage lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Sarah surprised to see her husband?
2. Does the Old Woman follow the new rule in Act 4?
3. Why does the Sergeant make his final comment?
4. What do the soldiers represent?
5. What is the Old Woman and her son's relationship like?
6. In Act 4, why is the Old Woman still silent?
7. Why is the Sergeant annoyed when he enters in Act 3?
8. Can the Old Woman understand the language of the capital?
9. Why does the guard have a hostile attitude toward the Old Woman and the son?
10. How do Sarah and Charly communicate in Act 3?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)