|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Young Woman complain to?
(a) No one.
(b) The Old Woman.
(d) The officers.
2. The officers are meant to represent:
(b) Poor people.
(d) The capital.
3. What language is outlawed?
(b) The capital's.
(d) Mountain language.
4. What can't the Old Woman do?
(b) Speak the official language.
(c) Follow orders.
5. What isn't the guard's fault, according to the guard?
(a) That the prisoner is treated badly.
(b) That it's cold.
(c) That he's mean.
(d) That the Old Woman can't understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Old Woman doing at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
3. The Visitors Room is also called the _______ Room.
4. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
5. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Sarah surprised to see her husband?
2. How does the Old Woman communicate with her son?
3. Who is the most helpless character in Act 2?
4. Why does the Sergeant show Sarah her husband?
5. Why are the two women at the prison?
6. Who is the Sergeant referring to in his last line in Act 4 where he says "these people?"
7. Who is in control at the end of Act 4?
8. Why does Sarah attempt to negotiate with the Sergeant?
9. Why is the prisoner trembling at the beginning of Act 4?
10. What is the family of the prisoner in Act 2 like?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)