|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the guard use to jab the Old Woman?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A stick.
(d) A fork.
2. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
3. Why is the Young Woman visiting her husband?
(a) She's bored.
(b) She wants a divorce.
(c) She was summoned.
(d) He's very ill.
4. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A sleeping bag.
(b) A basket.
(c) A dog.
(d) A baby.
5. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
6. What can't the Old Woman do?
(a) Follow orders.
(c) Speak the official language.
7. What does the guard instruct the Prisoner to tell the Old Woman to do?
(a) To stop flirting with the guards.
(b) To leave.
(c) To give him food.
(d) To speak the official language.
8. Why is the Young Woman's husband "in the wrong batch?"
(a) Because he's rich.
(b) Because he's not from the mountains.
(c) Because he's married.
(d) Because he's a very serious criminal.
9. Why does the guard call the Sergeant?
(a) To tell him a rumor.
(b) Because the prisoner is being smart.
(c) To tell him a joke.
(d) To tell him to stay away.
10. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
(a) She 's cursing the capital.
(b) She is telling her son how to escape.
(c) She is getting sassy.
(d) She is speaking mountain language.
11. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
12. In what country does "Mountain Language" take place?
13. How many times is the Young Woman asked to state her name?
(b) A dozen.
14. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
(a) He talked back to the guard.
(b) He's not very intelligent.
(c) He says ridiculous things.
(d) He tells good jokes.
15. Who is behind the Old Woman on stage at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) The Young Woman.
(b) No one.
(c) The Prisoner.
(d) The guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
2. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
3. Why is the Officer so irritated at the beginning of Act 1?
4. What characterizes the Prisoner's family?
5. The Sergeant observes that the Young Woman looks like a(n) ________.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)