|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
(a) He talked back to the guard.
(b) He says ridiculous things.
(c) He tells good jokes.
(d) He's not very intelligent.
3. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
(a) She's been bitten.
(b) She's not herself.
(c) She's very sick.
(d) She seems to be keeping a secret.
4. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A baby.
(b) A basket.
(c) A dog.
(d) A sleeping bag.
5. What isn't the guard's fault, according to the guard?
(a) That he's mean.
(b) That the Old Woman can't understand.
(c) That it's cold.
(d) That the prisoner is treated badly.
6. What is the Prisoner doing at the beginning of Act 2?
7. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
8. Why is the Young Woman's husband "in the wrong batch?"
(a) Because he's rich.
(b) Because he's a very serious criminal.
(c) Because he's not from the mountains.
(d) Because he's married.
9. What does the Sergeant call the women's husbands?
(a) Enemies of the state.
(c) Useless criminals.
10. What time did the women arrive at the prison?
(a) 9 AM.
(b) 7 AM.
(d) 5 PM.
11. Which guard dog bit the Old Woman?
(a) The little one in the cage.
(b) The big one on the leash.
(c) A wild one in the woods.
(d) They don't know.
12. Who instituted the new language outlaw?
(a) The Sergeant.
(b) The capital.
(c) A worker's union.
(d) The king.
13. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
(a) A dog.
(b) A sleeping bag.
(c) A basket.
(d) A baby.
14. Who asks the Young Woman for her name?
(a) The Officer.
(b) The Old Woman.
(c) The Sergeant.
(d) A voice off-stage.
15. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guard's attitude towards the Old Woman and the Prisoner?
2. The Officer says the women are _______ people.
3. When the Old Woman and Prisoner begin to speak, what happens to the stage lights?
4. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
5. Why does the guard jab the Old Woman?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)