|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who instituted the new language outlaw?
(a) The king.
(b) The capital.
(c) A worker's union.
(d) The Sergeant.
2. What can't the Old Woman do?
(a) Follow orders.
(b) Speak the official language.
3. Why is the Prisoner called a joker?
(a) He says ridiculous things.
(b) He talked back to the guard.
(c) He tells good jokes.
(d) He's not very intelligent.
4. Who asks the Young Woman for her name?
(a) The Sergeant.
(b) The Old Woman.
(c) A voice off-stage.
(d) The Officer.
5. What do the guard and the prisoner have in common?
(a) They hate the capital.
(b) They are very tall.
(c) They're both married.
(d) They hate their mothers.
6. The Young Woman has her arm around ________ as she waits at the wall.
(b) The Old Woman.
(c) The officers.
(d) No one.
7. What is the prisoner's main concern for the Old Woman?
(a) She's not herself.
(b) She's been bitten.
(c) She seems to be keeping a secret.
(d) She's very sick.
8. What is next to the Old Woman at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) A child.
(b) A dog.
(d) A basket.
9. The "official" language is spoken where?
(d) The capital.
10. What is the primary emotion in the old Woman and the Prisoner's conversation?
11. What does the guard use to jab the Old Woman?
(a) A gun.
(b) A stick.
(c) A fork.
(d) A knife.
12. How many characters are present on stage at the beginning of Act 1?
13. The first time the guard jabs the Old Woman in Act 2, it's because she said, "I have _______."
(a) A question.
(b) A son.
(d) A stomachache.
14. When the Old Woman and Prisoner begin to speak, what happens to the stage lights?
(a) They dim.
(b) They get brighter.
(d) They go off.
15. What defines the set direction for Act 1?
(a) Very detailed.
(c) There is none.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sergeant says: "But you're not saying they're without _______!"
2. As the Sergeant hassles the Young Woman in Act 1, the Officer reminds him that these women are not _________.
3. Who does the Old Woman say is waiting for the prisoner?
4. What is at the Old Woman's feet as she waits at the prison wall?
5. Why is it difficult for the Old Woman to understand the guard?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)