|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan almost drown the previous summer?
2. August refers to the dig as what in Act 2 Part 3?
3. The grave of the god-king represents what to August?
4. What literary term defines August's statement of blindness to the passing moon?
5. When Dan and Chad arrive drunk in Act 1 Part 7, who is silently sitting in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of the Chinese Puzzle Box as it relates to Delia's novel and to the play. How does it reflect the excavation? How does it reflect August? What is found in the last box?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "motif." What is the motif in The Mound Builders? How does this motif relate to the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)