|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mounds does August claim have been opened in North American discovery?
2. Dan says that in 1500 a tribe ended up in Mississippi. What were they called?
3. Whom does Delia refer to as a hustler in Act 2?
4. Which character says, "I wouldn't be a man. Not and carry all the dumbfounding load they've saddled themselves with?"
5. August states in Act 2 Part 3 to the recorder that at one time he had a doctorate in one hand and what in the other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of August and Chad are central to the action in The Mound Builders. Compare and contrast the characteristics of these characters. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "motif." What is the motif in The Mound Builders? How does this motif relate to the characters in the play?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)