|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1 Part 7, August shows a slide photo of a man and says he's "the wise old bird who owns the place." Who is it?
2. What does August say has never been discovered from Mississippian Culture?
3. Which character says, "I wouldn't be a man. Not and carry all the dumbfounding load they've saddled themselves with?"
4. Who does August speak to in Act 2 Part 3?
5. Where does Dan take the archeology students in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of the Chinese Puzzle Box as it relates to Delia's novel and to the play. How does it reflect the excavation? How does it reflect August? What is found in the last box?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Define "aestheticism." How does this term relate to the characters in The Mound Builders? Which characters would you describe as governed by "aesthetic?" Which are not? Why?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)