|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does August accuse Chad of after the discovery at the dig?
2. What does Delia ask Jean to do at the very end of Act 1?
3. What does Dan suggest Delia write a book and title it?
4. Which character says, "I wouldn't be a man. Not and carry all the dumbfounding load they've saddled themselves with?"
5. What does August say to Delia at the end of Act 2 Part 4, as a means of lashing out at her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Lanford Wilson chose to title this play, "The Mound Builders?" What does that title reflect in the action of the play? How is it symbolic to the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Define "aestheticism." How does this term relate to the characters in The Mound Builders? Which characters would you describe as governed by "aesthetic?" Which are not? Why?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)