|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does August say that his sister was "scraped off the street?"
2. What does Chad have a model of in Act 1?
3. At the beginning of Act 1 Part 6, there is a slide of a fire. What does August say this is?
4. What did Delia's ex-husband's sell?
5. Delia talks of a soothsayer in Dombey and Son. Who changed the future in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
2. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
3. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
4. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
5. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
6. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
7. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
8. What is a God-king?
9. Dan says early in the play that there are many reasons for building mounds in ancient societies. What are some of these?
10. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of the ancient civilization being discovered in The Mound Builders. How do these characteristics relate to the characteristics of the characters within the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)