|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Delia's ex-husband's sell?
2. Who carries Delia into the house in Act 1?
3. Jean asks Delia in Act 1 Part 5 if she happens to have what?
4. What is Delia's last name?
5. Which character is raised and taught by his/her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
2. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
3. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
4. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
5. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
6. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
7. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
8. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
9. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
10. How does Jean feel about Chad's advances in Act 2? What does August say regarding Chad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the legacies of the supporting characters in The Mound Builders? What is Delia's legacy? What is Chad's? What is Jean's?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)