|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
2. What activity is Jean doing in Act 1 Part 4?
3. Why is Jean taking time away from work?
4. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
5. What does Delia believe about the human eye from looking at charts as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
2. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
3. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
4. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
5. In the opening of the play, August speaks into a tape recorder. To whom is he speaking and why?
6. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
7. What is a God-king?
8. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
9. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
10. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Delia in The Mound Builders. What is her purpose to the plot of the story? What does she know about the actions in the play that the other characters are not aware of?
Essay Topic 2
Define "aestheticism." How does this term relate to the characters in The Mound Builders? Which characters would you describe as governed by "aesthetic?" Which are not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor of the Chinese Puzzle Box as it relates to Delia's novel and to the play. How does it reflect the excavation? How does it reflect August? What is found in the last box?
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)