|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delia's last name?
2. Where does Jean develop an interest in medicine?
3. How many students are there to assist on the dig?
4. How old is Dr. Jean Loggins?
5. Jean asks Chad if he will move the house when the lake comes in. What is his response?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
2. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
3. What is revealed to Dan in Act 2 Part 4 regarding the building of the highway? Who is responsible for this?
4. Describe how Delia's perception of the human eye as a child relates to her perceptions about the world today.
5. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
6. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
7. What does Delia compare her book to? Why?
8. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
9. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
10. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Lanford Wilson chose to title this play, "The Mound Builders?" What does that title reflect in the action of the play? How is it symbolic to the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 3
What does the building of the dam signify in The Mound Builders? How does water, rain, and flooding tie into the play both literally and metaphorically?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)