|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean says that in one village six men were laid out ceremonially with what cut off?
2. What is Delia's father's profession?
3. From where does Delia ship a trunk to August and Cynthia?
4. Who quotes Aztec poetry in Act 1?
5. Which character does August say is coming to stay with them unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
2. Where is Chad at the end of the play?
3. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
4. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
5. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
6. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
7. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
8. Which character's father was a physiologist? Describe the father's office from the perspective of that character.
9. How does Delia describe her ex-husband? How old was she when she married him? What was his profession?
10. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
Essay Topic 1
What does the discovery of the God-King mean to August? What does it mean to Dan? What does it mean to Chad? How is this discovery important to the plot of The Mound Builders?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Define "aestheticism." How does this term relate to the characters in The Mound Builders? Which characters would you describe as governed by "aesthetic?" Which are not? Why?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)