|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Delia that the book is a success and "she was a failure?"
2. Who is revealed to be having an affair with Cynthia near the end of Act 1?
3. Delia talks of a soothsayer in Dombey and Son. Who changed the future in the book?
4. At the beginning of Act 1 Part 6, there is a slide of a fire. What does August say this is?
5. What does Dan proceed to do after Delia's arrival in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
2. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
3. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
4. What is the climax of the play? Where does this occur?
5. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
6. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
7. Where does the character Delia arrive from? Where have her travels taken her? What is her reaction to her new surroundings?
8. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
9. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
10. How does August feel about "aesthetics?" Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the ancient civilization being discovered in The Mound Builders. How do these characteristics relate to the characteristics of the characters within the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the actions of the climax of The Mound Builders. What is the definition of "Climax?" How do these events affect the legacy of the main character?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)