|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Delia describe her father's office?
2. What does Dan say he fell asleep wrapped around in New York?
3. How old is the character Chad Jasker?
4. What is Delia's last name?
5. Jean says the women in her family have a history of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
2. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
3. Describe the term which refers to the use of projections in the play. What effect does this theatrical device serve?
4. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
5. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
6. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
7. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
8. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
9. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
10. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the ancient civilization being discovered in The Mound Builders. How do these characteristics relate to the characteristics of the characters within the play?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)