|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that August refers to the site as?
2. Who comes in with a flashlight and discovers Delia in the living room in Act 1 Part 6?
3. What does Dan proceed to do after Delia's arrival in Act 1?
4. Delia talks of a soothsayer in Dombey and Son. Who changed the future in the book?
5. Who arrives drunk at the door in the middle of the night in Act 1 Part 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
2. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
3. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
4. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
5. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
6. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
7. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
8. Where is Chad at the end of the play?
9. What elements of Delia's character are revealed before she appears in the play? What literary term is defined by its use to provide background and inform the readers about the plot, character, setting, and theme of the essay/story?
10. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the antagonist in The Mound Builders? How does this character's actions affect the outcome of the play? How do you feel about this character? Are his/her actions justified?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)