|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kirsten ask Delia about in Act 1 Part 4?
2. How many villagers does Dan say supposedly were in Cahokia?
3. What does August say his father did to Delia?
4. Where does August say that his sister was "scraped off the street?"
5. At the beginning of Act 1 Part 6, there is a slide of a fire. What does August say this is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
2. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
3. What is a God-king?
4. What is the overall theme of The Mound Builders? How is this theme portrayed?
5. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
6. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
7. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
8. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
9. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
10. Describe the relationship between Jean and Chad. Why does he show her the model in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 3
What does the discovery of the God-King mean to August? What does it mean to Dan? What does it mean to Chad? How is this discovery important to the plot of The Mound Builders?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)