|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is shown on the slide that August states is out of place in Act 1 Part 4?
2. What does Delia believe about the human eye from looking at charts as a child?
3. Delia talks of a soothsayer in Dombey and Son. Who changed the future in the book?
4. What does Dan say his roommate studied in college?
5. From where does Delia ship a trunk to August and Cynthia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
2. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
3. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
4. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
5. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
6. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
7. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
8. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
9. Where does the character Delia arrive from? Where have her travels taken her? What is her reaction to her new surroundings?
10. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters of August and Chad are central to the action in The Mound Builders. Compare and contrast the characteristics of these characters. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
This section contains 1,503 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)