|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is mentioned by Delia that wrote a book about the eye and vision?
2. What does August say his father did to Delia?
3. How old is the character Chad Jasker?
4. Which character says in Act 1, "The truth is in dreams and nightmares, but you haven't succeeded in getting that down?"
5. Which character won a national spelling bee as a kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
2. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
3. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
4. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
5. Who do we discover is having an affair in Act 1? Who else knows about the affair?
6. What is the overall theme of The Mound Builders? How is this theme portrayed?
7. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
8. What is a God-king?
9. How does August feel about "aesthetics?" Why?
10. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the building of the dam signify in The Mound Builders? How does water, rain, and flooding tie into the play both literally and metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)