|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does August refer to Cynthia as when her photograph appears on a slide in Act 1?
2. What does Dan complain about at the dig site in Act 1?
3. What is the term that defines Landford Wilson's use of a projector in The Mound Builders?
4. How many students are there to assist on the dig?
5. What is the name of Delia's second book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
2. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
3. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
4. What is a God-king?
5. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
6. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
7. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
8. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
9. Describe how Delia's perception of the human eye as a child relates to her perceptions about the world today.
10. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of August and Chad are central to the action in The Mound Builders. Compare and contrast the characteristics of these characters. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What does the building of the dam signify in The Mound Builders? How does water, rain, and flooding tie into the play both literally and metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the actions of the climax of The Mound Builders. What is the definition of "Climax?" How do these events affect the legacy of the main character?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)