|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chad offer to give Jean in Act 1?
2. Which character won a national spelling bee as a kid?
3. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
4. Who discovers the evidence of the village site?
5. How old is Dr. Jean Loggins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
2. What is revealed to Dan in Act 2 Part 4 regarding the building of the highway? Who is responsible for this?
3. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
4. What is implied by August's description of Cynthia as "an ex-relation by marriage?" What literary term would this comment be considered?
5. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
6. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
7. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
8. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
9. What is a God-king?
10. What is the overall theme of The Mound Builders? How is this theme portrayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 3
What does the building of the dam signify in The Mound Builders? How does water, rain, and flooding tie into the play both literally and metaphorically?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)