|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delia's last name?
2. Why does Dan rattle on during his conversation with Delia in the middle of the night in Act 1 Part 6?
3. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
4. What does Delia say she did after finishing her book?
5. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean feel about Chad's advances in Act 2? What does August say regarding Chad?
2. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
3. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
4. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
5. What is revealed to Dan in Act 2 Part 4 regarding the building of the highway? Who is responsible for this?
6. In the end of Act 2, Part 3, August repeats the word "nothing." What does this imply?
7. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
8. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
9. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
10. Where does the character Delia arrive from? Where have her travels taken her? What is her reaction to her new surroundings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the building of the dam signify in The Mound Builders? How does water, rain, and flooding tie into the play both literally and metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the antagonist in The Mound Builders? How does this character's actions affect the outcome of the play? How do you feel about this character? Are his/her actions justified?
Essay Topic 3
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)