|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does August state on the recorder that he intends to do at the beginning of Act 1?
2. How many students are there to assist on the dig?
3. Who does Kirsten ask Delia about in Act 1 Part 4?
4. Which character says, "The natives get restless at night. The dogs raid the hen houses?"
5. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the character Delia arrive from? Where have her travels taken her? What is her reaction to her new surroundings?
2. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
3. Who do we discover is having an affair in Act 1? Who else knows about the affair?
4. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
5. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
6. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
7. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
8. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
9. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
10. What is revealed to Dan in Act 2 Part 4 regarding the building of the highway? Who is responsible for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of August and Chad are central to the action in The Mound Builders. Compare and contrast the characteristics of these characters. How do their backgrounds affect who they are today? What do we know about them based on their appearances and their actions? How do their actions or in-actions affect the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Delia in The Mound Builders. What is her purpose to the plot of the story? What does she know about the actions in the play that the other characters are not aware of?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)