|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan say is the only way to feel completely safe on the sidewalks of New York?
2. What is the name that August refers to the site as?
3. What did Delia's ex-husband's sell?
4. What upsets Delia after the completion of her novel?
5. Which character says, in Act 1, "We'd be working somewhere else if our work here wasn't important?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
2. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
3. Describe how Delia's perception of the human eye as a child relates to her perceptions about the world today.
4. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
5. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
6. Who arrives drunk after fishing near the end of Act 1? What is the relationship of these two characters?
7. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
8. Which character has a history of miscarriages in his/her family? How has that affected this character?
9. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
10. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "motif." What is the motif in The Mound Builders? How does this motif relate to the characters in the play?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)