|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delia claim was the model for Camus' The Plague?
2. How old is Kirsten?
3. In Act 1, what does Chad say almost prevented the house from being livable?
4. What is Dr. Jean Loggins' profession?
5. Who calls Dan a Howdy-Dowdy, hale-fellow, nice guy in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
2. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
3. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
4. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
5. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
6. Describe how Delia's perception of the human eye as a child relates to her perceptions about the world today.
7. Who arrives drunk after fishing near the end of Act 1? What is the relationship of these two characters?
8. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
9. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
10. What is implied by August's description of Cynthia as "an ex-relation by marriage?" What literary term would this comment be considered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other and to other characters throughout the play? How are their appearances similar or different? Compare their outlooks on life, their philosophies and religious beliefs. What other characters in the play do they most reflect?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the ancient civilization being discovered in The Mound Builders. How do these characteristics relate to the characteristics of the characters within the play?
Essay Topic 3
What does the discovery of the God-King mean to August? What does it mean to Dan? What does it mean to Chad? How is this discovery important to the plot of The Mound Builders?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)