|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where are the students selected to assist the dig?
2. Who is revealed to be having an affair with Cynthia near the end of Act 1?
3. How old is the character Chad Jasker?
4. Where does Dan attend college?
5. In Act 1, what does Chad say almost prevented the house from being livable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
2. In the end of Act 2, Part 3, August repeats the word "nothing." What does this imply?
3. Who do we discover is having an affair in Act 1? Who else knows about the affair?
4. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
5. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
6. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
7. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
8. Which character wishes he/she could see the future? How is this revealed in the play?
9. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
10. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the web of inter-tangled relationships in The Mound Builders. How do these relationships relate to one another? How does the unraveling of truth affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Lanford Wilson chose to title this play, "The Mound Builders?" What does that title reflect in the action of the play? How is it symbolic to the theme?
Essay Topic 3
What does the discovery of the God-King mean to August? What does it mean to Dan? What does it mean to Chad? How is this discovery important to the plot of The Mound Builders?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)