|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do we know when August is alone in his study?
2. Who does Dan say build burial mounds?
3. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
4. What does Dan complain about at the dig site in Act 1?
5. At the beginning of Act 1 Part 6, there is a slide of a fire. What does August say this is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
2. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
3. Describe the relationship between Jean and Chad. Why does he show her the model in Act 1?
4. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
5. What is a God-king?
6. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
7. Where is Chad at the end of the play?
8. Dan says early in the play that there are many reasons for building mounds in ancient societies. What are some of these?
9. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
10. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the web of inter-tangled relationships in The Mound Builders. How do these relationships relate to one another? How does the unraveling of truth affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What are the legacies of the supporting characters in The Mound Builders? What is Delia's legacy? What is Chad's? What is Jean's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)