|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the set do the projections appear, according to the stage directions?
2. What does Dan say his roommate studied in college?
3. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
4. Where does August say that the remains of an extensive village were discovered?
5. Who is mentioned by Delia that wrote a book about the eye and vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
2. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
3. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
4. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
5. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
6. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
7. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
8. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
9. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
10. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of women and men in The Mound Builders. What does Delia say regarding women versus men? How do the legacies of the women in the play differ from the legacies of the male characters? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lanford Wilson chose to title this play, "The Mound Builders?" What does that title reflect in the action of the play? How is it symbolic to the theme?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)