Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean says that in one village six men were laid out ceremonially with what cut off?
2. What is Delia's father's profession?
3. From where does Delia ship a trunk to August and Cynthia?
4. Who quotes Aztec poetry in Act 1?
5. Which character does August say is coming to stay with them unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
2. Where is Chad at the end of the play?
3. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
4. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
5. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
6. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
7. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
8. Which character's father was a physiologist? Describe the father's office from the perspective of that character.
9. How does Delia describe her ex-husband? How old was she when she married him? What was his profession?
10. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of the Chinese Puzzle Box as it relates to Delia's novel and to the play. How does it reflect the excavation? How does it reflect August? What is found in the last box?
Essay Topic 2
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lanford Wilson chose to title this play, "The Mound Builders?" What does that title reflect in the action of the play? How is it symbolic to the theme?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)