|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan say is the only way to feel completely safe on the sidewalks of New York?
2. What is the setting at the very beginning of Act 1?
3. Delia talks of a soothsayer in Dombey and Son. Who changed the future in the book?
4. How old is Dr. Jean Loggins?
5. What does Dan say he fell asleep wrapped around in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
2. What is revealed to Dan in Act 2 Part 4 regarding the building of the highway? Who is responsible for this?
3. Which character's father was a physiologist? Describe the father's office from the perspective of that character.
4. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
5. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
6. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
7. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
8. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
9. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
10. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the actions of the climax of The Mound Builders. What is the definition of "Climax?" How do these events affect the legacy of the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Define "aestheticism." How does this term relate to the characters in The Mound Builders? Which characters would you describe as governed by "aesthetic?" Which are not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)