|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears with Jean in front of the slide of the lake in Act 1?
2. What does August say his father did to Delia?
3. Where on the set do the projections appear, according to the stage directions?
4. What activity is Jean doing in Act 1 Part 4?
5. Jean says the women in her family have a history of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
2. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
3. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
4. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
5. What elements of Delia's character are revealed before she appears in the play? What literary term is defined by its use to provide background and inform the readers about the plot, character, setting, and theme of the essay/story?
6. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
7. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
8. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
9. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
10. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "Theme." How does the theme of Legacy play out in The Mound Builders? What is August's legacy?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)