Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the set do the projections appear, according to the stage directions?
2. How many houses does Cynthia surmise there might have been in the village?
3. Whom does August say Cynthia believes herself to be when speaking to the recorder in Act 1 Part 2?
4. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
5. Who does Jean say the people on the dig want to fit into a particular pattern, although they know nothing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
2. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
3. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
4. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
5. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
6. In the opening of the play, August speaks into a tape recorder. To whom is he speaking and why?
7. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
8. What has been discovered in Act 2 Part 1? Who tells about this discovery? What is the reaction?
9. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
10. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
What does the discovery of the God-King mean to August? What does it mean to Dan? What does it mean to Chad? How is this discovery important to the plot of The Mound Builders?
Discuss the Chinese proverb "When someone saves a man from drowning, he is responsible for him the rest of his life." What does this refer to in the play? What does it foreshadow?
Describe the relationship between August and Delia. How long have these characters known one another? What are their feelings toward each other? How do they act on those feelings?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)