|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is camping near the house?
2. Jean asks Chad if he will move the house when the lake comes in. What is his response?
3. In Act 1, what does Chad say almost prevented the house from being livable?
4. How old is Kirsten?
5. Who enters the darkness with a flashlight in the end of Act 1 Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the character Delia arrive from? Where have her travels taken her? What is her reaction to her new surroundings?
2. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
3. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
4. How does Chad react to the news of Jean's pregnancy? Why?
5. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
6. Dan says early in the play that there are many reasons for building mounds in ancient societies. What are some of these?
7. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
8. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
9. How does August feel about "aesthetics?" Why?
10. What elements of Delia's character are revealed before she appears in the play? What literary term is defined by its use to provide background and inform the readers about the plot, character, setting, and theme of the essay/story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give the characteristics of a Tragic Hero. How is August the Tragic Hero of The Mound Builders? What characteristics does he share with the ancient Greek idea of Tragic Hero?
Essay Topic 2
What are the legacies of the supporting characters in The Mound Builders? What is Delia's legacy? What is Chad's? What is Jean's?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the actions of the climax of The Mound Builders. What is the definition of "Climax?" How do these events affect the legacy of the main character?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)