|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Lionel is lighting her cigarette, Julia
2. The men of Fujisaki Corporation became monks in America because
3. At the restaurant, besides Lemongrass Soup, Lionel discovers
4. Rockaforte and Matricardi are
5. Lionel's reason for returning to the Zendo is
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the conversation with Detective Seminole changes the attitude between Tony and Lionel.
2. What clue does Lionel find in the rental car's glove box?
3. Explain Frank Minna's saying, Wheels within wheels.
4. What did Lionel sense in the home of The Clients that made him uncomfortable?
5. Describe Kimmery in terms of how she fits into the Zen lifestyle and how she doesn't.
6. Describe the marital relationship between Frank and Julia.
7. When Kimmery stops answering her phone, what is Lionel's next course of action?
8. What does Lionel do for Frank that none of the other Minna Men do, and what does it imply?
9. What do The Clients want Lionel to do?
10. What is the mission of the men in blue suits who escort Lionel to their rental car and why don't they accomplish it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of progression of relationships to the theme of the novel. 1) Write an essay describing the progression of Lionel's relationship with The Clients, or 2) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with the other Minna Men, or 3) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with Julia.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of control in the story. 1) Write an essay describing Lionel's need for and use of control. 2) Write an essay describing Gerard's need for and use of control. or 3) Write an essay describing Julia's need for and use of control. Use examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Lionel's characterization throughout the novel as he interacts and responds to others. Write an essay in which you describe the author's characterization of 1) Lionel through his jumbled thoughts, 2) Lionel through his verbal outbursts or 3) Lionel through his reactions to others. Identify three examples of the specific form of characterization to support your argument.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)