|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story of the younger girl who meets two brothers in Maine and becomes lovers with first the older brother and later the younger brother suggests
2. The location of Lionel's meeting with The Clients is
3. Lionel drives back to Brooklyn
4. As he listens to Gerard, Lionel realizes that Tony
5. The mission of the four men in blue suits who escort Lionel to their rental car is
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lionel sense in the home of The Clients that made him uncomfortable?
2. How does Frank try to change Julia when they marry and return to Brooklyn?
3. When he returns from exile, what does Frank tell The Clients?
4. What is the mission of the men in blue suits who escort Lionel to their rental car and why don't they accomplish it?
5. Describe how the conversation with Detective Seminole changes the attitude between Tony and Lionel.
6. What were the two things that Frank Minna would not discuss during the time Lionel knew him?
7. Describe Kimmery in terms of how she fits into the Zen lifestyle and how she doesn't.
8. When Lionel meets Julia at the Lighthouse, what does think Gerard is doing for her?
9. Discuss how Lionel thinks he is like an airbag?
10. What do The Clients want Lionel to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Lionel feels protective towards Kimmery, yet she rescues him. 1) Write an essay in which you consider Kimmery as a foil character to Lionel. 2) Contrast these two characters and consider how it adds to the theme. 3) Write an essay that identifies other relationships in which protection adds to the theme.
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the theme of the story. 2) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the plot of the story. or 3) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the characterization of the story. Give examples of particular incidents with Lionel in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Frank's statement to Lionel that there only a couple of Essrogs in the phone book. 1) Write an essay in which you explore the purpose of Frank's statement, 2) Write an essay in which you discuss Lionel's reaction and motivation with respect to Frank's statement and 3) Write an essay in which you consider the role of Frank's statement in the progression of the plot.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)