|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lionel sees the giant in between his car and Tony's, going through a wallet, keeping the cash and throwing the wallet into the sea, it is implied
2. The name Tony calls Lionel that brings tears to his eyes is
3. During Zen practice, Lionel figures out that Roshi is
4. Lionel knew he had arrived at the right place when he saw
5. Kimmery convinces Lionel that he should
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lionel spend his time on the highway doing?
2. What do The Clients want Lionel to do?
3. How does Frank try to change Julia when they marry and return to Brooklyn?
4. What does Lionel decide during his phone call with Tony?
5. Who is Roshi and what does he tell Lionel about Frank?
6. What does Lionel figure out about Frank's reasons for using the Irving joke as the clue to his killer?
7. What were the two things that Frank Minna would not discuss during the time Lionel knew him?
8. Describe Kimmery in terms of how she fits into the Zen lifestyle and how she doesn't.
9. Describe how the conversation with Detective Seminole changes the attitude between Tony and Lionel.
10. Explain Frank Minna's saying, Wheels within wheels.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Consider Frank's murder as an inciting incident in the novel. 2) Consider Frank's hiring of the Minna Men in the story. or 3) Consider Julia's meeting Gerard as an inciting incident. In an essay, explain the the situation you are describing, and how this incident contributes to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Lionel identifies with several people and things in the story. Explain why he identifies with 1) Food, 2) Frank or 3) Kimmery and consider how each relationship contributes to the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Because of Lionel's Tourette's Syndrome, the author's use of imagery is particularly vibrant. 1) Write an essay discussing the importance of the gustatory imagery to Lionel's character, or 2) Write an essay discussing the author's use of auditory imagery with respect to Lionel's character, or 3) Write and essay discussing the importance of tactile imagery to Lionel's character.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)