|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The four Minna Men are
2. Another of Lionel's pet peeves with Loomis involves joke telling because
3. The first business the Minna Men work at is called
4. Gilbert is tolerant of Lionel because
5. At Sarah J. Hale High School, it is not cool for a white boy to talk to, flirt with or make eye contact with a black girl because
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank's nickname for Lionel, Freakshow, suggests what?
2. What role does Frank play in the lives of the MInna Men?
3. Describe the symptoms of Lionel's disease.
4. At St. Vincent's Home for Boys, where did Lionel spend all of his time and why?
5. Describe Frank's condition when they find him.
6. What is Julia's reaction when Lionel stops by to tell her about Frank?
7. Describe what happens in the penguin incident with Lionel and Gilbert.
8. Describe Lionel's ritual as he eats his sandwich after trying to get Gilbert out of jail.
9. What is inferred in the sentence: "We were all four of us an arrangement around a missing centerpiece, as incoherent as a verbless sentence.
10. What are Frank's instruction over the wire when the conversation in the Zendo ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lionel asks Frank, "Who did this to you?" he replies with a joke about Irving. 1) Write an essay identifying three ways in which this exchange contributes to the development of the plot of the story. 2) Write an essay identifying the importance of jokes to the development of plot in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you discuss the purpose and significance of the stylistic changes in Chapter 4, (Tourette Dreams), such as point of view, punctuation and parentheses. 2) Write an essay describing the change in point of view in Chapter 8, Formerly Known.
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the theme of the story. 2) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the plot of the story. or 3) Write an essay in which you consider how Lionel's Tourettes Syndrome contributes to the characterization of the story. Give examples of particular incidents with Lionel in the novel.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)