|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lionel's visits to all of Frank's favorite places suggest
2. The names Matricardi and Rockaforte are
3. In Chapter 4, the author changes point of view to
4. The four Minna Men are
5. The phrase, "and you go with them, astonished to leave yourself behind," implies
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Lionel's symtoms keeps repeating itself on the night of the stakeout?
2. Describe the symptoms of Lionel's disease.
3. Explain how Lionel finds Frank.
4. What does Lionel mean when he says that a person with Tourette's can be the Invisible Man?
5. What does Detective Seminole think of Lionel?
6. Describe Frank's conversation in the car with his captors.
7. Frank's nickname for Lionel, Freakshow, suggests what?
8. At St. Vincent's Home for Boys, where did Lionel spend all of his time and why?
9. What would a typical day working for Frank entail when the boys first started with him?
10. What is implied by the sentence: In Tourette dreams you shed your tics or your tics shed you and you go with them, astonished to leave yourself behind).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses irony in the story itself and in the character's life stories as well. Write an essay in which you consider the author's use of 1) irony in the development of plot, 2) irony in the development of characters, or 3) irony in the development of the theme of the novel. Use at least three examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Because of Lionel's Tourette's Syndrome, the author's use of imagery is particularly vibrant. 1) Write an essay discussing the importance of the gustatory imagery to Lionel's character, or 2) Write an essay discussing the author's use of auditory imagery with respect to Lionel's character, or 3) Write and essay discussing the importance of tactile imagery to Lionel's character.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of progression of relationships to the theme of the novel. 1) Write an essay describing the progression of Lionel's relationship with The Clients, or 2) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with the other Minna Men, or 3) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with Julia.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)