|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lionel, a Touretter can also be
2. At the age of thirteen, Tony is taken in and then returned by foster parents because
3. All of the Minna Men grow up
4. During the stakeout at the beginning of the story, Lionel and Gilbert share
5. During the stakeout, before he enters the building, Frank tells Lionel and Gilbert to cover him but they
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lionel's ritual as he eats his sandwich after trying to get Gilbert out of jail.
2. Before he enters the Zendo, Frank Minna's instructions to Lionel include
3. What would a typical day working for Frank entail when the boys first started with him?
4. What did Lionel do when Detective Seminole asked him about Matricardi and Rockaforte?
5. What is implied by the sentence: In Tourette dreams you shed your tics or your tics shed you and you go with them, astonished to leave yourself behind).
6. Describe Frank's conversation in the car with his captors.
7. What is Lionel's mission in the story?
8. At St. Vincent's Home for Boys, where did Lionel spend all of his time and why?
9. Explain how Lionel finds Frank.
10. What is inferred in the sentence: "We were all four of us an arrangement around a missing centerpiece, as incoherent as a verbless sentence.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comedian Lily Tomlin said, "After all, in private we're all misfits." The men of Fujisaki Corporation are wealthy yet misfits in their own country of Japan. 1) Write an essay considering Tomlin's quote in relation to the novel, 2) Write an essay considering how the men of Fujisaki Corporation might not fit the lifestyle on Muscongus Island in Maine. or 3) Write an essay considering the men of Fujisaki Corporation and how the might not fit the lifestyle of the Zendo at which they practice.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of progression of relationships to the theme of the novel. 1) Write an essay describing the progression of Lionel's relationship with The Clients, or 2) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with the other Minna Men, or 3) Write an essay describing Lionel's relationship with Julia.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you discuss the purpose and significance of the stylistic changes in Chapter 4, (Tourette Dreams), such as point of view, punctuation and parentheses. 2) Write an essay describing the change in point of view in Chapter 8, Formerly Known.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)