|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lionel goes to tell Julia about Frank, he finds out
2. The parentheses around the fragmented sentence pieces in Chapter 4 represents
3. Danny's real language is
4. The police officer continually calls Lionel
5. Minna Men wear suits, drive cars, listen to tapped lines, stand behind Minna, hands in their pockets, look menacing, carry money, collect money, don't ask questions, answer phones, pick up packages, and follow instructions suggests that
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frank's conversation in the car with his captors.
2. Before he enters the Zendo, Frank Minna's instructions to Lionel include
3. At St. Vincent's Home for Boys, where did Lionel spend all of his time and why?
4. Discuss Lionel's disposition with respect to his condition.
5. What is the opening line of the joke Lionel tells Frank?
6. What is Julia's reaction when Lionel stops by to tell her about Frank?
7. What is the significance of the chapter, Tourette Dreams being composed of just one line?
8. What did Lionel do when Detective Seminole asked him about Matricardi and Rockaforte?
9. What would a typical day working for Frank entail when the boys first started with him?
10. Explain how Lionel finds Frank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an essay describing the author's depiction of family in the novel. 2) Describe the author's description of family within the Fujisaki Corporation and 3) Describe the author's depiction of family with the Zendo.
Essay Topic 2
1) Consider Frank's murder as an inciting incident in the novel. 2) Consider Frank's hiring of the Minna Men in the story. or 3) Consider Julia's meeting Gerard as an inciting incident. In an essay, explain the the situation you are describing, and how this incident contributes to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you discuss the purpose and significance of the stylistic changes in Chapter 4, (Tourette Dreams), such as point of view, punctuation and parentheses. 2) Write an essay describing the change in point of view in Chapter 8, Formerly Known.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)