|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank and Julia Minna are
2. Lionel describes the effect of drugs on his constellation of behaviors as
3. The parentheses around the title of Chapter 4 indicate
4. Throughout the story, an outburst from Lionel typically includes
5. At the age of thirteen, Tony is taken in and then returned by foster parents because
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lionel mean when he says that a person with Tourette's can be the Invisible Man?
2. Before he enters the Zendo, Frank Minna's instructions to Lionel include
3. At St. Vincent's Home for Boys, where did Lionel spend all of his time and why?
4. Give an example of how Minna used people to mark his territory.
5. What role does Frank play in the lives of the MInna Men?
6. Which of Lionel's symtoms keeps repeating itself on the night of the stakeout?
7. What did Minna give the boys by removing them from St. Vincents?
8. What would a typical day working for Frank entail when the boys first started with him?
9. What is inferred in the sentence: "We were all four of us an arrangement around a missing centerpiece, as incoherent as a verbless sentence.
10. What are Frank's instruction over the wire when the conversation in the Zendo ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Lionel feels protective towards Kimmery, yet she rescues him. 1) Write an essay in which you consider Kimmery as a foil character to Lionel. 2) Contrast these two characters and consider how it adds to the theme. 3) Write an essay that identifies other relationships in which protection adds to the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of control in the story. 1) Write an essay describing Lionel's need for and use of control. 2) Write an essay describing Gerard's need for and use of control. or 3) Write an essay describing Julia's need for and use of control. Use examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Lionel asks Frank, "Who did this to you?" he replies with a joke about Irving. 1) Write an essay identifying three ways in which this exchange contributes to the development of the plot of the story. 2) Write an essay identifying the importance of jokes to the development of plot in the novel.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)