|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Older Soldier.
(b) The Clerk.
(c) Mother Courage.
(d) The Captain.
2. What kind of rage does Mother Courage think the young soldier has?
(a) A justified one.
(b) An ignorant one.
(c) A serious one.
(d) A short-lived one.
3. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
(a) Until the captain has time.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) A day or two.
(d) Until after the young soldier.
4. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
(a) In a fight.
(b) Causing problems.
(c) Making money.
(d) Embarrassing his brother.
5. What is the first soldier wearing?
(a) A silk scarf.
(b) A top hat.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A leather jacket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
2. Where is Kattrin's father from?
3. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
4. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
5. Why does the first soldier want brandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
2. Why does Kattrin run out to the peasant's house in Scene 5?
3. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
4. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
5. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
6. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
7. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
8. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
9. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
10. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)