|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
(a) Her love.
(b) The kindness of others.
(c) His future.
(d) His commander's orders.
2. Why won't Mother Courage help the peasant family that was injured in the attack on their farm?
(a) Because they deserved what happened to them.
(b) Because they don't have any money.
(c) Because they are thieves.
(d) Because they're Protestants.
3. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
(a) To tell a story.
(b) To calm the soldier.
(c) To get money.
(d) To pass the time.
4. What does the chaplain call Kattrin?
(a) A plague.
(b) A princess.
(c) An eyesore.
(d) A captivating young person.
5. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Captain.
(b) Mother Courage.
(c) The Older Soldier.
(d) The Clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
2. What is the sergeant's problem with peace?
3. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
4. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
5. Why does Kattrin get very anxious while the injured peasants are in her tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
2. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
3. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
4. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
5. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
6. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
7. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
8. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
9. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
10. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)