|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Courage decide to do at the end of the scene?
(a) Complain to someone else.
(b) Not complain.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Defend the young soldier's complaint.
2. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
(a) To protect their farm.
(b) They have a death wish.
(c) They thought it was a joke.
(d) They were surprised.
3. What does the recruiting officer think the army needs?
(b) Women soldiers.
4. What does Mother Courage compare the officers taking her son into the army to?
(a) Easy as pie.
(b) A lamb to the slaughter.
(c) A moth to a flame.
(d) Taking candy from a baby.
5. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
(a) Under the mattress.
(b) In his bag.
(c) In another tent.
(d) Under some clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the chaplain need linen?
2. What does Eilif want from Mother Courage when he sends her a message?
3. What happens to Yvette's first love?
4. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
5. Why does Kattrin run into the peasants' dilapidated house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kattrin run out to the peasant's house in Scene 5?
2. What do the sergeant and recruiting officer think the benefit of war is?
3. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
4. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
5. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
6. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
7. What issue does the sergeant have with peace?
8. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
9. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
10. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)