|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she read it in a book.
(b) Because she is religious.
(c) Because she saw it in her dream.
(d) Because death is black.
2. What isn't Mother Courage lending out to soldiers when the Catholic soldiers invade the camp?
3. What kind of rage does Mother Courage think the young soldier has?
(a) A justified one.
(b) A serious one.
(c) A short-lived one.
(d) An ignorant one.
4. How cheaply does the officer sell bullets for?
(a) 50 hellers.
(b) 2 guilders.
(c) 3 guilders.
(d) 10 hellers.
5. What does Mother Courage compare mixing the slips of paper in the helmet to?
(a) Dust in the wind.
(c) A garden.
(d) A mother's womb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
2. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
3. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
4. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
5. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
2. Why does Mother Courage hesitate to pay for Swiss Cheese's releases?
3. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
4. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
5. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
6. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
7. What does the first soldier mean when he says "she made it"?
8. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
9. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
10. Does the chaplain fall short of his "duty" in Scene 2?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)