|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the older soldier tell the young soldier to be quiet?
(a) He's annoying.
(b) He's speaking nonsense.
(c) He'll be sent to the stocks.
(d) He can't be taken seriously.
2. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she saw it in her dream.
(b) Because death is black.
(c) Because she read it in a book.
(d) Because she is religious.
3. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
(a) Because she doesn't have very many.
(b) Because they're expensive.
(c) Because it's disrespectful.
(d) Because she has a low opinion of peasants.
4. What is Swiss Cheese's real name?
5. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 8 weeks.
(c) A decade.
(d) 2 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why shouldn't Kattrin run in to the peasants' house?
2. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
3. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
4. What happens to Yvette's first love?
5. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
2. How impoverished has the country become as the cook, Mother Courage, and Kattrin follow the soldier through the winter?
3. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
4. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
5. Why does Mother Courage sing a lullaby to Kattrin?
6. Why is the young soldier outraged?
7. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
8. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
9. Are the peasants hypocrites?
10. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)