|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
(a) His brandy.
(b) The fur coat.
(c) One guilder.
(d) His shoes.
2. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Older Soldier.
(b) The Clerk.
(c) The Captain.
(d) Mother Courage.
3. Why does Mother Courage tear slips of paper?
(a) To make a statement.
(b) To pass a note to Kattrin.
(c) To tell their futures.
(d) To make fire kindling.
4. When Mother Courage sees Kattrin with the board, she calls her a ________.
5. What does Mother Courage compare the officers taking her son into the army to?
(a) Taking candy from a baby.
(b) A moth to a flame.
(c) Easy as pie.
(d) A lamb to the slaughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
2. What does the young solder threaten he will do to the captain?
3. What would it look like if Mother Courage backed out on her complaint to the captain?
4. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
5. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
3. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
4. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
5. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
6. Are the peasants hypocrites?
7. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
8. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
9. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
10. In Scene 6, does Mother Courage believe Kattrin will ever find a husband? Why or why not?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)