|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why shouldn't Kattrin run in to the peasants' house?
(a) The roof is going to fall in.
(b) There are soldiers inside.
(c) Mother Courage told her not to.
(d) There's a gas leak.
2. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
(a) Because she doesn't have very many.
(b) Because they're expensive.
(c) Because she has a low opinion of peasants.
(d) Because it's disrespectful.
3. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
(a) Because he is cruel.
(b) Because he didn't surrender to the peasants.
(c) Because he never writes to her.
(d) Because he doesn't earn enough money.
4. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
(a) Because she's depressed.
(b) Because she's an alcoholic.
(c) Because she's ill.
(d) Because she's bored.
5. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
(a) He is angry with the king.
(b) No one has any sense of honor.
(c) His best friend stole from him.
(d) His wife cheated on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother Courage make herself known to Eilif?
2. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
3. Mother Courage is afraid they will make Kattrin a ____ if the soldiers see her in Yvette's clothes.
4. What animal whispers in "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
5. What does Mother Courage live off of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
3. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
4. What issue does the sergeant have with peace?
5. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
6. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
7. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
8. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
9. Does Mother Courage think Kattrin will have an easy life as a wife?
10. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)