|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
(d) Good sense.
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
(a) She is a bad businesswoman.
(b) She is afraid of war.
(c) She doesn't care about her children.
(d) She is mean.
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
(a) Second Finnish Regiment.
(b) Third Polish Regiment.
(c) First Finnish Regiment.
(d) Second Polish Regiment.
4. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
(a) Because the captain stole his money.
(b) Because the captain recruited his son.
(c) Because the captain has a drinking problem.
(d) Because the captain stole his wife.
5. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
(c) Ran away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
2. Why does Mother Courage claim her price is a good one for a bird at this time?
3. What does Mother Courage rub on Kattrin's face to hide her beauty?
4. Mother Courage observes that there is no ______ in being seated.
5. What kind of rage does Mother Courage think the young soldier has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
3. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
4. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
5. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)