|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the first soldier want brandy?
(a) Because he's bored.
(b) Because he missed the plunder.
(c) Because it's free.
(d) Because he's an alcoholic.
2. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
(a) Because she doesn't have very many.
(b) Because they're expensive.
(c) Because she has a low opinion of peasants.
(d) Because it's disrespectful.
3. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
(a) Because there is low demand.
(b) Because he needs the money.
(c) Because he was ordered to.
(d) Because they don't work.
4. Why does the chaplain need linen?
(a) To bandage the peasants.
(b) To mend the tent.
(c) To sleep on.
(d) To sew with.
5. What is Mother Courage's opinion of the commander?
(a) He is brave.
(b) He is ignorant.
(c) He is intelligent.
(d) He is a bad commander.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her mother doesn't help the peasants, why does Kattrin pick up the wooden board in the tent?
2. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
3. Swiss Cheese takes after a _____ man.
4. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
5. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
2. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
3. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
4. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
5. How brave is Kattrin?
6. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
7. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
8. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
9. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
10. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)