|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What isn't Mother Courage lending out to soldiers when the Catholic soldiers invade the camp?
2. What is Swiss Cheese's real name?
3. Who does Eilif aspire to be like?
(a) The Chaplain.
(b) The Commander.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) His father.
4. Why does Kattrin get very anxious while the injured peasants are in her tent?
(a) Because soldier's are approaching.
(b) Because her mother is being verbally attacked.
(c) Because the peasants need linen.
(d) Because the chaplain is flirting with her.
5. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because death is black.
(b) Because she is religious.
(c) Because she read it in a book.
(d) Because she saw it in her dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the clerk know about Mother Courage?
2. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
3. Why does Mother Courage think Eilif is in high favor of the commander?
4. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
5. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 6, does Mother Courage believe Kattrin will ever find a husband? Why or why not?
2. How does Mother Courage get her name?
3. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
4. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
5. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
6. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
7. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
8. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
9. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
10. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)