|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Eternal life.
(d) His friendship.
2. The older soldier says that the young soldier is ______.
3. Why does the young soldier think he deserves money?
(a) Because he has been fighting for many years.
(b) Because he's honest.
(c) Because he never asked for any.
(d) Because he was the only one who swam in the river.
4. What is Mother Courage's opinion of the commander?
(a) He is a bad commander.
(b) He is brave.
(c) He is ignorant.
(d) He is intelligent.
5. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
(a) She sold them all to soldiers.
(b) She was robbed.
(c) They are impossible to find.
(d) She used them herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage observes that Kattrin "sits, happy as a _______ in all this misery" of the suffering peasants.
2. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
3. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
4. Why does Mother Courage claim her price is a good one for a bird at this time?
5. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage think the commander is bad at his job?
2. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
3. Why is the young soldier outraged?
4. What affect does Mother Courage's performance of "The Song of Great Capitulation" have?
5. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
6. Why does Kattrin run out to the peasant's house in Scene 5?
7. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
8. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
9. In Scene 6, does Mother Courage believe Kattrin will ever find a husband? Why or why not?
10. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)