|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
(a) His brandy.
(b) One guilder.
(c) His shoes.
(d) The fur coat.
2. Why won't Mother Courage help the peasant family that was injured in the attack on their farm?
(a) Because they are thieves.
(b) Because they don't have any money.
(c) Because they're Protestants.
(d) Because they deserved what happened to them.
3. When her mother doesn't help the peasants, why does Kattrin pick up the wooden board in the tent?
(a) To bolt the door.
(b) To put out a fire.
(c) To threaten her mother.
(d) To mend the house.
4. Why does Mother Courage tear slips of paper?
(a) To make fire kindling.
(b) To tell their futures.
(c) To pass a note to Kattrin.
(d) To make a statement.
5. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Clerk.
(b) The Captain.
(c) Mother Courage.
(d) The Older Soldier.
6. What does the sergeant predict Swiss Cheese's nationality is?
7. What is the sergeant's problem with peace?
(a) He has to see his wife more.
(b) He doesn't make any money.
(c) There is no organization.
(d) Peace is boring.
8. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
(d) A baby.
9. Mother Courage observes that Kattrin "sits, happy as a _______ in all this misery" of the suffering peasants.
10. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
(a) She's right.
(b) She reminds him of his mother.
(c) He feels guilty.
(d) He needs help.
11. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
(a) Her manly walk.
(b) Her batting eyelashes.
(c) Her sexy walk.
(d) Her blank face.
12. What body part is one of the peasants missing after their farm is attacked?
(a) A foot.
(b) A leg.
(c) An arm.
(d) Some fingers.
13. The young soldier says he won't stand for ________.
14. Why does Mother Courage have her opinion of the commander?
(a) He is mean to Eilif.
(b) He is respectful and tolerant.
(c) He is well read.
(d) He needs brave soldiers.
15. Where is Kattrin's father from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eilif sing "The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier"?
2. What is so special about the capon Mother Courage tries to sell?
3. When Mother Courage sees Kattrin with the board, she calls her a ________.
4. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
5. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)