|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The older soldier says that the young soldier is ______.
2. Swiss Cheese takes after a _____ man.
3. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
(b) Because her cart has been destroyed.
(c) Because he treats soldiers badly.
(d) Because he scared off her business.
4. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
(a) His wife cheated on him.
(b) He is angry with the king.
(c) No one has any sense of honor.
(d) His best friend stole from him.
5. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
(a) First Finnish Regiment.
(b) Third Polish Regiment.
(c) Second Finnish Regiment.
(d) Second Polish Regiment.
6. Why does Mother Courage tear slips of paper?
(a) To make fire kindling.
(b) To pass a note to Kattrin.
(c) To tell their futures.
(d) To make a statement.
7. When Mother Courage sees Kattrin with the board, she calls her a ________.
8. Where does Scene 5 take place?
9. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
(a) Because he is cruel.
(b) Because he doesn't earn enough money.
(c) Because he never writes to her.
(d) Because he didn't surrender to the peasants.
10. What animal whispers in "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) A beaver.
11. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
(a) They thought it was a joke.
(b) To protect their farm.
(c) They were surprised.
(d) They have a death wish.
12. How cheaply does the officer sell bullets for?
(a) 50 hellers.
(b) 10 hellers.
(c) 2 guilders.
(d) 3 guilders.
13. The young soldier says he won't stand for ________.
14. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
(a) Causing problems.
(b) Making money.
(c) In a fight.
(d) Embarrassing his brother.
15. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
(a) Because she doesn't have very many.
(b) Because it's disrespectful.
(c) Because she has a low opinion of peasants.
(d) Because they're expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect has Mother Courage had on the young soldier by the end of the scene?
2. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
3. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
4. What does Mother Courage compare the officers taking her son into the army to?
5. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)