|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
(a) He is too honest and simple.
(b) His mother told him not to.
(c) It is locked.
(d) There isn't any money.
2. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she read it in a book.
(b) Because she saw it in her dream.
(c) Because death is black.
(d) Because she is religious.
3. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
(a) Moses parting the sea.
(b) The Lord made 500 loaves out of 5.
(c) Jesus' crucifixion.
(d) The burning bush.
4. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
5. Why does Kattrin run into the peasants' dilapidated house?
(a) Mother Courage told her to.
(b) Her mother's supplies are inside.
(c) There's a baby inside.
(d) She has a death wish.
6. What does the chaplain call Kattrin?
(a) An eyesore.
(b) A captivating young person.
(c) A princess.
(d) A plague.
7. Mother Courage observes that Kattrin "sits, happy as a _______ in all this misery" of the suffering peasants.
8. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(a) Her farm.
(b) Her musical talent.
(d) Her children's labor.
9. What are the peasants Eilif attacks doing with their food?
(a) Selling it.
(b) Throwing it away.
(c) They have none.
(d) Hiding it.
10. Why shouldn't Kattrin run in to the peasants' house?
(a) There are soldiers inside.
(b) There's a gas leak.
(c) The roof is going to fall in.
(d) Mother Courage told her not to.
11. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) His friendship.
12. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
(c) A baby.
13. Where in the world is Mother Courage's family from?
14. Where does Scene 5 take place?
15. What religion are the peasants?
Short Answer Questions
1. What would it look like if Mother Courage backed out on her complaint to the captain?
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
3. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
4. How does Mother Courage make herself known to Eilif?
5. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)