|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
(a) They were surprised.
(b) They thought it was a joke.
(c) To protect their farm.
(d) They have a death wish.
2. What solace does Mother Courage take from Swiss Cheese's job in the army?
(a) He is well respected.
(b) He earns good money.
(c) He doesn't fight.
(d) He meets nice girls.
3. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
(a) He is too honest and simple.
(b) It is locked.
(c) There isn't any money.
(d) His mother told him not to.
4. Mother Courage observes that there is no ______ in being seated.
5. Where is Kattrin's father from?
6. What does the sergeant predict Swiss Cheese's nationality is?
7. Why does Mother Courage have her opinion of the commander?
(a) He needs brave soldiers.
(b) He is respectful and tolerant.
(c) He is mean to Eilif.
(d) He is well read.
8. How much does Mother Courage try to sell the capon to the Cook for?
(a) Sixty hellers.
(b) Seventy hellers.
(c) Fifty hellers.
(d) Ten hellers.
9. Who is saying Yvette is sick?
(b) Mother Courage.
(c) The Cook.
(d) The soldiers.
10. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
(c) A baby.
11. Why does the young soldier think he deserves money?
(a) Because he has been fighting for many years.
(b) Because he's honest.
(c) Because he never asked for any.
(d) Because he was the only one who swam in the river.
12. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
(d) Good sense.
13. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
14. Why does Kattrin run into the peasants' dilapidated house?
(a) There's a baby inside.
(b) She has a death wish.
(c) Her mother's supplies are inside.
(d) Mother Courage told her to.
15. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
(a) They are too romantic.
(b) They will make good husbands.
(c) Never to marry one.
(d) They have diseases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
2. People avoid Yvette like a ______ because they think she's sick.
3. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
4. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
5. Why does the first soldier want brandy?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)