|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
(a) He feels guilty.
(b) He needs help.
(c) She's right.
(d) She reminds him of his mother.
2. What does Mother Courage compare mixing the slips of paper in the helmet to?
(a) A mother's womb.
(c) A garden.
(d) Dust in the wind.
3. What does the sergeant predict Swiss Cheese's nationality is?
4. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
(a) Her blank face.
(b) Her sexy walk.
(c) Her batting eyelashes.
(d) Her manly walk.
5. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
(a) Never to marry one.
(b) They are too romantic.
(c) They have diseases.
(d) They will make good husbands.
6. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
(a) To get money.
(b) To pass the time.
(c) To tell a story.
(d) To calm the soldier.
7. What are the peasants Eilif attacks doing with their food?
(a) They have none.
(b) Throwing it away.
(c) Selling it.
(d) Hiding it.
8. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
(a) Second Polish Regiment.
(b) Second Finnish Regiment.
(c) Third Polish Regiment.
(d) First Finnish Regiment.
9. Where in the world is Mother Courage's family from?
10. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
(a) To pass the time.
(b) To gain sympathy.
(c) To tell the story of her love life.
(d) To warn people.
11. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
(a) Because he is cruel.
(b) Because he never writes to her.
(c) Because he didn't surrender to the peasants.
(d) Because he doesn't earn enough money.
12. What solace does Mother Courage take from Swiss Cheese's job in the army?
(a) He is well respected.
(b) He doesn't fight.
(c) He earns good money.
(d) He meets nice girls.
13. Why does the young soldier think he deserves money?
(a) Because he has been fighting for many years.
(b) Because he never asked for any.
(c) Because he was the only one who swam in the river.
(d) Because he's honest.
14. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
(a) Embarrassing his brother.
(b) Causing problems.
(c) Making money.
(d) In a fight.
15. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
(a) Ran away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eilif sing "The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier"?
2. How cheaply does the officer sell bullets for?
3. Why won't Mother Courage help the peasant family that was injured in the attack on their farm?
4. Who is saying Yvette is sick?
5. Why does Mother Courage think Eilif is in high favor of the commander?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)