|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
(a) Because he is cruel.
(b) Because he didn't surrender to the peasants.
(c) Because he doesn't earn enough money.
(d) Because he never writes to her.
2. Swiss Cheese takes after a _____ man.
3. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
(a) Her batting eyelashes.
(b) Her blank face.
(c) Her manly walk.
(d) Her sexy walk.
4. What does the recruiting officer think the army needs?
(a) Women soldiers.
5. What does the chaplain call Kattrin?
(a) A captivating young person.
(b) A princess.
(c) A plague.
(d) An eyesore.
6. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because her cart has been destroyed.
(b) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
(c) Because he treats soldiers badly.
(d) Because he scared off her business.
7. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
(a) Because the captain recruited his son.
(b) Because the captain stole his money.
(c) Because the captain has a drinking problem.
(d) Because the captain stole his wife.
8. What does Mother Courage compare mixing the slips of paper in the helmet to?
(a) A garden.
(c) Dust in the wind.
(d) A mother's womb.
9. Who is saying Yvette is sick?
(a) Mother Courage.
(c) The Cook.
(d) The soldiers.
10. Why does Mother Courage claim her price is a good one for a bird at this time?
(a) They are going extinct.
(b) They are in a siege.
(c) They are in high demand.
(d) They are in season.
11. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
(a) Ran away.
12. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
13. What does the clerk know about Mother Courage?
(a) She was hiding Swiss Cheese.
(b) She is a legend.
(c) She betrayed her children.
(d) She is a good businesswoman.
14. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) Mother Courage.
(b) The Clerk.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Older Soldier.
15. When her mother doesn't help the peasants, why does Kattrin pick up the wooden board in the tent?
(a) To bolt the door.
(b) To threaten her mother.
(c) To mend the house.
(d) To put out a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kattrin get very anxious while the injured peasants are in her tent?
2. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
3. How much does Mother Courage try to sell the capon to the Cook for?
4. Where does Scene 5 take place?
5. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)