|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
(a) His best friend stole from him.
(b) His wife cheated on him.
(c) He is angry with the king.
(d) No one has any sense of honor.
2. What are the peasants Eilif attacks doing with their food?
(a) Selling it.
(b) Throwing it away.
(c) They have none.
(d) Hiding it.
3. What isn't Mother Courage lending out to soldiers when the Catholic soldiers invade the camp?
4. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
(a) To warn people.
(b) To tell the story of her love life.
(c) To pass the time.
(d) To gain sympathy.
5. What is the sergeant's problem with peace?
(a) He doesn't make any money.
(b) There is no organization.
(c) Peace is boring.
(d) He has to see his wife more.
6. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
(a) Under some clothes.
(b) In his bag.
(c) In another tent.
(d) Under the mattress.
7. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
(a) Medical supplies.
(b) An important message.
(c) Her children.
(d) Fifty loaves of bread.
8. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
(a) Because she's ill.
(b) Because she's bored.
(c) Because she's depressed.
(d) Because she's an alcoholic.
9. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Captain.
(b) The Clerk.
(c) Mother Courage.
(d) The Older Soldier.
10. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
(a) Because he doesn't earn enough money.
(b) Because he didn't surrender to the peasants.
(c) Because he never writes to her.
(d) Because he is cruel.
11. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
(a) Because they don't work.
(b) Because there is low demand.
(c) Because he was ordered to.
(d) Because he needs the money.
12. What does Mother Courage decide to do at the end of the scene?
(a) Complain to someone else.
(b) Defend the young soldier's complaint.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Not complain.
13. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because her cart has been destroyed.
(b) Because he scared off her business.
(c) Because he treats soldiers badly.
(d) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
14. Who does Eilif aspire to be like?
(a) The Chaplain.
(b) Julius Caesar.
(c) The Commander.
(d) His father.
15. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
(a) Moses parting the sea.
(b) The Lord made 500 loaves out of 5.
(c) Jesus' crucifixion.
(d) The burning bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mother Courage try to sell the capon to the Cook for?
2. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
3. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
4. What is the first soldier wearing?
5. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)