|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Courage decide to do at the end of the scene?
(a) Complain to someone else.
(b) Defend the young soldier's complaint.
(c) Not complain.
(d) Join the army.
2. Why does Kattrin get very anxious while the injured peasants are in her tent?
(a) Because soldier's are approaching.
(b) Because her mother is being verbally attacked.
(c) Because the chaplain is flirting with her.
(d) Because the peasants need linen.
3. Swiss Cheese takes after a _____ man.
4. Why does Eilif sing "The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier"?
(a) Because it is the commander's favorite.
(b) Because his mother taught him.
(c) To pass the time.
(d) Because it's about him.
5. What is the sergeant's problem with peace?
(a) Peace is boring.
(b) He doesn't make any money.
(c) He has to see his wife more.
(d) There is no organization.
6. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
(a) He is too honest and simple.
(b) It is locked.
(c) There isn't any money.
(d) His mother told him not to.
7. What solace does Mother Courage take from Swiss Cheese's job in the army?
(a) He meets nice girls.
(b) He earns good money.
(c) He doesn't fight.
(d) He is well respected.
8. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
(a) She reminds him of his mother.
(b) He feels guilty.
(c) He needs help.
(d) She's right.
9. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
10. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
(a) Her love.
(b) His future.
(c) The kindness of others.
(d) His commander's orders.
11. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
(a) A baby.
12. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she read it in a book.
(b) Because she saw it in her dream.
(c) Because death is black.
(d) Because she is religious.
13. What does Eilif want from Mother Courage when he sends her a message?
(c) A wife.
14. People avoid Yvette like a ______ because they think she's sick.
(a) Tax collector.
(d) Stinking fish.
15. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
(a) They thought it was a joke.
(b) To protect their farm.
(c) They have a death wish.
(d) They were surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the cook end up buying the capon for?
2. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
3. The young soldier says he won't stand for ________.
4. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
5. What does the young solder threaten he will do to the captain?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)