|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Mother Courage help the peasant family that was injured in the attack on their farm?
(a) Because they don't have any money.
(b) Because they deserved what happened to them.
(c) Because they are thieves.
(d) Because they're Protestants.
2. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she read it in a book.
(b) Because she saw it in her dream.
(c) Because she is religious.
(d) Because death is black.
3. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
(b) Because he treats soldiers badly.
(c) Because he scared off her business.
(d) Because her cart has been destroyed.
4. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
(a) They are too romantic.
(b) They have diseases.
(c) Never to marry one.
(d) They will make good husbands.
5. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
(a) Because the captain stole his wife.
(b) Because the captain recruited his son.
(c) Because the captain stole his money.
(d) Because the captain has a drinking problem.
6. What are the peasants Eilif attacks doing with their food?
(a) Hiding it.
(b) Selling it.
(c) Throwing it away.
(d) They have none.
7. Why does Mother Courage tear slips of paper?
(a) To tell their futures.
(b) To make a statement.
(c) To make fire kindling.
(d) To pass a note to Kattrin.
8. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
(a) Embarrassing his brother.
(b) In a fight.
(c) Making money.
(d) Causing problems.
9. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Money and fame.
(c) His friendship.
10. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
(c) Ran away.
11. What would it look like if Mother Courage backed out on her complaint to the captain?
(a) She is indifferent to bullying.
(b) She is a bad businesswoman.
(c) She doesn't care about her children.
(d) She has a bad conscience.
12. Why does the chaplain need linen?
(a) To mend the tent.
(b) To bandage the peasants.
(c) To sew with.
(d) To sleep on.
13. What does Mother Courage compare mixing the slips of paper in the helmet to?
(a) Dust in the wind.
(b) A mother's womb.
(c) A garden.
14. How much does Mother Courage try to sell the capon to the Cook for?
(a) Fifty hellers.
(b) Ten hellers.
(c) Seventy hellers.
(d) Sixty hellers.
15. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage claim her price is a good one for a bird at this time?
2. How does Mother Courage make herself known to Eilif?
3. Mother Courage is afraid they will make Kattrin a ____ if the soldiers see her in Yvette's clothes.
4. How much does the cook end up buying the capon for?
5. What religion are the peasants?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)