|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
(a) Because they don't work.
(b) Because he was ordered to.
(c) Because there is low demand.
(d) Because he needs the money.
2. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
(a) She sold them all to soldiers.
(b) They are impossible to find.
(c) She used them herself.
(d) She was robbed.
3. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
(a) Because she's depressed.
(b) Because she's an alcoholic.
(c) Because she's ill.
(d) Because she's bored.
4. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
(a) A decade.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 8 weeks.
5. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
(a) Because she saw it in her dream.
(b) Because death is black.
(c) Because she is religious.
(d) Because she read it in a book.
6. Mother Courage is afraid they will make Kattrin a ____ if the soldiers see her in Yvette's clothes.
7. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
(a) To pass the time.
(b) To get money.
(c) To tell a story.
(d) To calm the soldier.
8. Why shouldn't Kattrin run in to the peasants' house?
(a) The roof is going to fall in.
(b) Mother Courage told her not to.
(c) There's a gas leak.
(d) There are soldiers inside.
9. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) His friendship.
(d) Money and fame.
10. Why does Kattrin run into the peasants' dilapidated house?
(a) There's a baby inside.
(b) Her mother's supplies are inside.
(c) She has a death wish.
(d) Mother Courage told her to.
11. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
12. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because her cart has been destroyed.
(b) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
(c) Because he scared off her business.
(d) Because he treats soldiers badly.
13. Why does the older soldier tell the young soldier to be quiet?
(a) He can't be taken seriously.
(b) He'll be sent to the stocks.
(c) He's annoying.
(d) He's speaking nonsense.
14. Where in the world is Mother Courage's family from?
15. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
(a) They have diseases.
(b) They will make good husbands.
(c) They are too romantic.
(d) Never to marry one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
2. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
3. What does the recruiting officer think the army needs?
4. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
5. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)