|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in the world is Mother Courage's family from?
2. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
(a) To tell the story of her love life.
(b) To pass the time.
(c) To gain sympathy.
(d) To warn people.
3. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
(a) His future.
(b) The kindness of others.
(c) Her love.
(d) His commander's orders.
4. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
(a) Until the captain has time.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) A day or two.
(d) Until after the young soldier.
5. When Mother Courage sees Kattrin with the board, she calls her a ________.
6. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
(a) They will make good husbands.
(b) They are too romantic.
(c) Never to marry one.
(d) They have diseases.
7. What does Mother Courage compare the officers taking her son into the army to?
(a) A lamb to the slaughter.
(b) A moth to a flame.
(c) Easy as pie.
(d) Taking candy from a baby.
8. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
(a) The Clerk.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Older Soldier.
(d) Mother Courage.
9. What body part is one of the peasants missing after their farm is attacked?
(a) An arm.
(b) A leg.
(c) A foot.
(d) Some fingers.
10. How cheaply does the officer sell bullets for?
(a) 50 hellers.
(b) 10 hellers.
(c) 2 guilders.
(d) 3 guilders.
11. How does Mother Courage make herself known to Eilif?
(a) She sends him a note.
(b) She calls out to him.
(c) She makes his favorite meal.
(d) She sings from the kitchen.
12. What solace does Mother Courage take from Swiss Cheese's job in the army?
(a) He meets nice girls.
(b) He is well respected.
(c) He doesn't fight.
(d) He earns good money.
13. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
14. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
(a) Because he scared off her business.
(b) Because her cart has been destroyed.
(c) Because he treats soldiers badly.
(d) Because Swiss Cheese was wrongfully killed.
15. Why does Mother Courage have her opinion of the commander?
(a) He is mean to Eilif.
(b) He needs brave soldiers.
(c) He is respectful and tolerant.
(d) He is well read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
2. What animal whispers in "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
3. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
4. What kind of rage does Mother Courage think the young soldier has?
5. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)