|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
(a) There isn't any money.
(b) He is too honest and simple.
(c) It is locked.
(d) His mother told him not to.
2. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
(b) Ran away.
3. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
(a) Until after the young soldier.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) A day or two.
(d) Until the captain has time.
4. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
5. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
(a) To warn people.
(b) To gain sympathy.
(c) To tell the story of her love life.
(d) To pass the time.
6. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
(a) Fifty loaves of bread.
(b) Medical supplies.
(c) Her children.
(d) An important message.
7. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
8. The older soldier says that the young soldier is ______.
9. What body part is one of the peasants missing after their farm is attacked?
(a) An arm.
(b) A foot.
(c) A leg.
(d) Some fingers.
10. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) A decade.
(d) 8 weeks.
11. People avoid Yvette like a ______ because they think she's sick.
(b) Tax collector.
(d) Stinking fish.
12. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
(a) They are impossible to find.
(b) She used them herself.
(c) She sold them all to soldiers.
(d) She was robbed.
13. Mother Courage observes that Kattrin "sits, happy as a _______ in all this misery" of the suffering peasants.
14. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
(a) She reminds him of his mother.
(b) He needs help.
(c) She's right.
(d) He feels guilty.
15. When her mother doesn't help the peasants, why does Kattrin pick up the wooden board in the tent?
(a) To put out a fire.
(b) To threaten her mother.
(c) To mend the house.
(d) To bolt the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sergeant predict Swiss Cheese's nationality is?
2. Where does Swiss Cheese plan to hide the pay box?
3. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
4. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
5. The young soldier says he won't stand for ________.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)