|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The researchers were fascinated by what feature on the Bell system?
2. What is used to match up the mosaic tiles?
3. What type of wood was used to manufacture the bookends?
4. What item is created from the hotel ceiling tiles?
5. The Bell system was located next to a statue dedicated to what deity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the description given to the Sacred Seal? Where was it placed?
2. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
3. What was unique about the Plant That Wouldn't Die?
4. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
5. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
6. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
7. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
8. The scientists were particularly fascinated by the fragments of plasticus petrificus. Explain the piece and how it is represented as a souvenir.
9. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
10. Explain the unique design of the coffee service. What is the pot shape? What is the shape of the cups? How many cups are there to the set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several places in the text that make reference to curses. Even scientists who did not believe in curses came to believe after a series of accidents happened at a particular location. One example is the curse placed on the tomb of King Tut. Examine the reality of curses. Do you think curses are real? What could convince scientists to believe in curses? Examine other possible explanations for the events that happened at the excavation sites. Choose at least three sites to examine from a scientific point of view.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)