|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material is preserved in Plasticus Petrificus?
2. What kind of perforations marked the tile?
3. The shape of the pendant is thought to be which of the following?
4. If the jars had been real, what might have been found inside?
5. What else was supposedly referenced on the small relief?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
2. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
3. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
4. What were the musical instruments found by Carson? How did they work?
5. How does Carson describe the great courtyard? What was the purpose of the pool area?
6. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
7. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
8. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
9. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
10. What happened to Howard Carson after he returned to his former interest and research involving the camels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Howard Carson maintains a fascination with camels. In the beginning of the book, Carson researches hump productivity. What prompted Carson to study hump productivity in the first place? Does Carson ever figure out the use for the camel's hump? How could it become more "productive?" What would it produce? Why do you think Carson was so fascinated with camels? What is the mass that makes up a camel's hump? What were Carson's final assessments and/or achievements regarding the camel? What piece of history was made due to Carson's research?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)