|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signals the end of the show?
2. What is used to match up the mosaic tiles?
3. In what language was the Sunday matinee held?
4. Carson was particularly fascinated by the letters engraved on one of the instruments. What were the letters?
5. What pattern was impressed upon the object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
2. What happened to Howard Carson after he returned to his former interest and research involving the camels?
3. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
4. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
5. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
6. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
7. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
8. How does Carson describe the great courtyard? What was the purpose of the pool area?
9. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
10. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a solid point regarding pollution and the state of the ozone layer. As a result of decades of polluting the air and not caring about the ozone, it was only a matter of time before Pollutantus Gravitas would fall to the earth and smother out the Yank civilization. Compare and contrast the condition of pollution and the ozone layer from 1985 and today. What are the most significant changes? Were there any parts of the story that could be even remotely correct? Explain. How has pollution changed over the years? In your opinion, does pollution have anything to do with global warming?
Essay Topic 2
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 3
There are several people mentioned early in the text regarding the search for antiquities. They include Guido Michelin, Currant Bunliffe, and Howard Carson. Compare and contrast the three characters in reference to their personal and professional interests as well as their discoveries surround the ancient culture of Usa.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)