|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pictured in the illustration on page 87?
2. The mosaic tile game refers to an ancient game of _____.
3. One of the objects examined by Howard resembled what other famous artifact?
4. What was each visitor given as an aid to viewing the exhibit?
5. What was the name of the museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
2. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
3. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
4. What were the musical instruments found by Carson? How did they work?
5. What is the Great Altar? What is atop the Altar? What is the upper object's primary function?
6. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
7. What happened to Howard Carson after he returned to his former interest and research involving the camels?
8. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
9. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
10. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author makes a solid point regarding pollution and the state of the ozone layer. As a result of decades of polluting the air and not caring about the ozone, it was only a matter of time before Pollutantus Gravitas would fall to the earth and smother out the Yank civilization. Compare and contrast the condition of pollution and the ozone layer from 1985 and today. What are the most significant changes? Were there any parts of the story that could be even remotely correct? Explain. How has pollution changed over the years? In your opinion, does pollution have anything to do with global warming?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the artifacts in the Motel are linked by Carson and the workers to some form of religious ceremony. What would cause the workers to make those assumptions? What else could be related to the artifacts in lieu of religion? What religious artifacts do you think were used in society during Carson's time? Are religious artifacts more important as symbols of religion or are they more important as historical items? Also, how could Carson know which gods were associated each sacred item found in the hotel? Would you relate those things to the same gods? Explain.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)