|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the God of craftsmanship?
2. Which of the following is not included in the picture of the Sacred belt?
3. What signals the end of the show?
4. What is the only male name on the fragment?
5. What group of people was most welcome at the motel, according to the sign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unique about the Plant That Wouldn't Die?
2. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
3. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
4. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
5. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
6. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
7. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
8. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
9. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
10. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
Essay Topic 2
Guido Michelin and Currant Bunliffe both set out to find fragments of writing that could be attributed to the Yanks.
What was the purpose of the search? What kind of information might be contained in the writing fragments? What could the new civilization learn from the old one? Why was there such a lapse between searches for the fragments? Do you think Bunliffe ever found anything? What might have happened to Bunliffe? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)