|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The pendant found in the sarcophagus was made out of what kind of material, now petrified?
2. What is used to match up the mosaic tiles?
3. The items are shaped to resemble which of the treasures?
4. What organization was responsible for closing down the site?
5. What adjective is used to describe the type of music played at the ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the unique design of the coffee service. What is the pot shape? What is the shape of the cups? How many cups are there to the set?
2. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
3. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
4. Describe the Sacred Points Bookends. What are the bookends made out of and what uses might they have?
5. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
6. What is the description given to the Sacred Seal? Where was it placed?
7. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
8. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
9. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
10. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 2
The sacred items found in the book may be metaphors or symbols for other objects not listed. Choose at least five of the items and relate them to what you consider to be obvious metaphors. Why did you choose the item? What makes you think that the item is a metaphor or has some symbolic meaning to the author? Explain. What metaphors could you add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Howard Carson maintains a fascination with camels. In the beginning of the book, Carson researches hump productivity. What prompted Carson to study hump productivity in the first place? Does Carson ever figure out the use for the camel's hump? How could it become more "productive?" What would it produce? Why do you think Carson was so fascinated with camels? What is the mass that makes up a camel's hump? What were Carson's final assessments and/or achievements regarding the camel? What piece of history was made due to Carson's research?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)