|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the museum?
2. Which of the following names does not appear on the fragment?
3. What organization was responsible for closing down the site?
4. The shape of the pendant is thought to be which of the following?
5. The items are shaped to resemble which of the treasures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
2. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
3. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
4. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
5. What is the Great Altar? What is atop the Altar? What is the upper object's primary function?
6. The scientists were particularly fascinated by the fragments of plasticus petrificus. Explain the piece and how it is represented as a souvenir.
7. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
8. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
9. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
10. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)