|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was also found in this area?
2. The items are shaped to resemble which of the treasures?
3. What else was supposedly referenced on the small relief?
4. Because the containers were empty they are considered to be which of the following?
5. What was wrong with the museum's director?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carson describe the great courtyard? What was the purpose of the pool area?
2. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
3. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
4. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
5. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
6. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
7. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
8. Describe the Sacred Points Bookends. What are the bookends made out of and what uses might they have?
9. What is the description given to the Sacred Seal? Where was it placed?
10. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)