|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pattern was impressed upon the object?
2. If the jars had been real, what might have been found inside?
3. What kind of kit was found and is now offered as a souvenir?
4. In what year was Tomb #26 closed for good?
5. What item did the outside team work hard to excavate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
2. Explain the unique design of the coffee service. What is the pot shape? What is the shape of the cups? How many cups are there to the set?
3. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
4. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
5. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
6. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
7. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
8. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
9. The scientists were particularly fascinated by the fragments of plasticus petrificus. Explain the piece and how it is represented as a souvenir.
10. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
Essay Topic 2
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)