|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material was used to make the object?
2. What adjective is used to describe the type of music played at the ceremony?
3. In what configuration were the white lines outside the tomb?
4. What item is created from the hotel ceiling tiles?
5. The objects paid homage to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Sacred Points Bookends. What are the bookends made out of and what uses might they have?
2. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
3. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
4. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
5. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
6. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
7. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
8. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
9. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
10. How does Carson describe the great courtyard? What was the purpose of the pool area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a solid point regarding pollution and the state of the ozone layer. As a result of decades of polluting the air and not caring about the ozone, it was only a matter of time before Pollutantus Gravitas would fall to the earth and smother out the Yank civilization. Compare and contrast the condition of pollution and the ozone layer from 1985 and today. What are the most significant changes? Were there any parts of the story that could be even remotely correct? Explain. How has pollution changed over the years? In your opinion, does pollution have anything to do with global warming?
Essay Topic 2
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
Essay Topic 3
There are several people mentioned early in the text regarding the search for antiquities. They include Guido Michelin, Currant Bunliffe, and Howard Carson. Compare and contrast the three characters in reference to their personal and professional interests as well as their discoveries surround the ancient culture of Usa.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)