|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of people was most welcome at the motel, according to the sign?
2. Where would these tiles normally be placed according to the scientists?
3. What was also found in this area?
4. The shape of the pendant is thought to be which of the following?
5. What was located below this item of worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
2. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
3. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
4. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
5. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
6. What was unique about the Plant That Wouldn't Die?
7. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
8. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
9. When did Harriet meet her untimely demise? What happened?
10. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guido Michelin and Currant Bunliffe both set out to find fragments of writing that could be attributed to the Yanks.
What was the purpose of the search? What kind of information might be contained in the writing fragments? What could the new civilization learn from the old one? Why was there such a lapse between searches for the fragments? Do you think Bunliffe ever found anything? What might have happened to Bunliffe? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author makes a solid point regarding pollution and the state of the ozone layer. As a result of decades of polluting the air and not caring about the ozone, it was only a matter of time before Pollutantus Gravitas would fall to the earth and smother out the Yank civilization. Compare and contrast the condition of pollution and the ozone layer from 1985 and today. What are the most significant changes? Were there any parts of the story that could be even remotely correct? Explain. How has pollution changed over the years? In your opinion, does pollution have anything to do with global warming?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the artifacts in the Motel are linked by Carson and the workers to some form of religious ceremony. What would cause the workers to make those assumptions? What else could be related to the artifacts in lieu of religion? What religious artifacts do you think were used in society during Carson's time? Are religious artifacts more important as symbols of religion or are they more important as historical items? Also, how could Carson know which gods were associated each sacred item found in the hotel? Would you relate those things to the same gods? Explain.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)