|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material was used to create the objects?
2. What was written on the object?
3. What item is created from the hotel ceiling tiles?
4. The necropolis officials were responsible for which of the following items?
5. What is it called when someone makes a copy of an existing treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Sacred Points Bookends. What are the bookends made out of and what uses might they have?
2. Explain the unique design of the coffee service. What is the pot shape? What is the shape of the cups? How many cups are there to the set?
3. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
4. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
5. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
6. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
7. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
8. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
9. When did Harriet meet her untimely demise? What happened?
10. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 3
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)