|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items of Carson's were put outside to dry?
2. What was the name of the ceremony?
3. What is one of the proudest items in the museum shop?
4. What type of clothing is the person wearing?
5. What was written on the pendant?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
2. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
3. What were the musical instruments found by Carson? How did they work?
4. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
5. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
6. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
7. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
8. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
9. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
10. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several places in the text that make reference to curses. Even scientists who did not believe in curses came to believe after a series of accidents happened at a particular location. One example is the curse placed on the tomb of King Tut. Examine the reality of curses. Do you think curses are real? What could convince scientists to believe in curses? Examine other possible explanations for the events that happened at the excavation sites. Choose at least three sites to examine from a scientific point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 3
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)