|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not referred to as a musical instrument?
2. What group of people was most welcome at the motel, according to the sign?
3. In what language was the Sunday matinee held?
4. The bookends are said to be decorated with which of the following?
5. What is used to recreate the reproduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. The scientists were particularly fascinated by the fragments of plasticus petrificus. Explain the piece and how it is represented as a souvenir.
2. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
3. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
4. What is the Great Altar? What is atop the Altar? What is the upper object's primary function?
5. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
6. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
7. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
8. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
9. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
10. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)