|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was located below this item of worship?
2. What adjective is used to describe the feeling in the crowd?
3. The item is also available in what standard of gold?
4. What is used to match up the mosaic tiles?
5. Who is pictured in the illustration on page 87?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
2. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
3. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
4. What happened to Howard Carson after he returned to his former interest and research involving the camels?
5. What item was recreated to resemble the mosaic ceiling tiles? What kind of container comes with the item?
6. How does Carson describe the great courtyard? What was the purpose of the pool area?
7. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
8. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
9. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
10. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several people mentioned early in the text regarding the search for antiquities. They include Guido Michelin, Currant Bunliffe, and Howard Carson. Compare and contrast the three characters in reference to their personal and professional interests as well as their discoveries surround the ancient culture of Usa.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)