|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Carson's was temporarily lost?
2. What magazine does this character often reference?
3. When was that object usually placed at a scene?
4. What common object is referred to as the ceremonial platform?
5. The motel was laid out in the shape of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Carson's names for items #8, 9, & 10?
2. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
3. What happened right after the catastrophe?
4. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
5. What is the Sacred Seal? How does Carson define its purpose?
6. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
7. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
8. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
9. How did Carson spend most of his time?
10. What covered the majority of North America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the artifacts in the Motel are linked by Carson and the workers to some form of religious ceremony. What would cause the workers to make those assumptions? What else could be related to the artifacts in lieu of religion? What religious artifacts do you think were used in society during Carson's time? Are religious artifacts more important as symbols of religion or are they more important as historical items? Also, how could Carson know which gods were associated each sacred item found in the hotel? Would you relate those things to the same gods? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several places in the text that make reference to curses. Even scientists who did not believe in curses came to believe after a series of accidents happened at a particular location. One example is the curse placed on the tomb of King Tut. Examine the reality of curses. Do you think curses are real? What could convince scientists to believe in curses? Examine other possible explanations for the events that happened at the excavation sites. Choose at least three sites to examine from a scientific point of view.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)