|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important item in the chamber?
2. By the end of the seventh year, how many volunteers worked at the excavation site?
3. What is another name used for the bathroom faucets?
4. What common item is referred to as the ceremonial headdress?
5. What is the name of Carson's companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
2. Carson referred to these locations in the story but what were they really?
3. What covered the majority of North America?
4. How did Carson spend most of his time?
5. How is Howard Carson's life described before the discovery of the Motel of the Mysteries?
6. What happened right after the catastrophe?
7. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
8. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
9. Who did Carson often talk to during the long days at the site?
10. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)