|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man searching for when he disappeared?
2. Which one of the following items is not worn by Harriet?
3. Whose name is called out once the group goes inside?
4. What did Carson fall into?
5. Where does Carson end up by mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Carson end up? What was he facing when he landed?
2. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
3. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
4. How long was it between the discovery and the beginning of the excavation? Was it successful?
5. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
6. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
7. What happened right after the catastrophe?
8. What was Carson's reaction when he realized what he had found?
9. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
10. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The excavators and workers in the story seem to have many ideas regarding the dead, from the body's eventual destination to the storage of internal organs. Examine the text to learn about the modern civilization's ideas about the ancient dead. Do any of the ideas seem feasible? Why do you think cultures are so fascinated with burial? Compare and contrast current options for burial to those of ancient times, e.g., Egyptians.
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)