|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who most likely created this thing?
2. Which of the following was used to ward off evil spirits?
3. Apparently the citizens most obsessed with religion were:
4. What date is referred to when discussing the great catastrophe?
5. What is the most impressive example of architecture attributed to the extinct people?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the great catastrophe occur? What caused it?
2. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
3. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
4. When was there an interest rekindled in North America? Why?
5. Who did Carson often talk to during the long days at the site?
6. Upon seeing this fantastic discovery, Carson had hopes of finding what?
7. What did German scholar Heinrich von Hooligan discover? What was the alleged purpose of the items(s)?
8. What are Carson's names for items #8, 9, & 10?
9. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
10. How long was it between the discovery and the beginning of the excavation? Was it successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 2
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)