|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is eventually determined that the stripes on the earth were used for what specific purpose?
2. How many inscriptions are found written on the columns?
3. What object is draped across the chair in the room?
4. A series of important writings is attributed to whom?
5. What is the pattern featured on the wallpaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
2. What was Carson's reaction when he realized what he had found?
3. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
4. What kind of sculptures were placed in this area? To who or what were the sculptures dedicated?
5. What was the main feature located in the sanctuary? How was the structure decorated?
6. Who traveled along with the treasures? What was the purpose of traveling this way?
7. Upon seeing this fantastic discovery, Carson had hopes of finding what?
8. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
9. Explain the Sacred Headband. What is the inscription on it?
10. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 2
Carson was mesmerized with wonder and fear when he first discovered Tomb #26. Which emotion was the strongest? How do you think Carson decided to forge ahead and open the door of the tomb? What did Carson expect to find behind the door? How would you feel in Carson's position? Would you open the door? What might you expect to find behind a locked door in an underground shaft?
Essay Topic 3
Archeologists have a fascinating but difficult job in discovering and identifying ancient objects and associating them to various cultures. Archeological finds are clearly important in learning the history of a culture, especially if the culture has not been studied. Choose a famous archeological dig. Write a 1000 word essay on the dig, its purpose and what was found at the site. Were the artifacts telling about any specific culture? Explain. Did that particular dig lead to another excavation? If so, give details on any subsequent excavations.
This section contains 2,162 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)