|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pairs of shoes are there in the room?
2. Some columns can be as much as _____ feet tall?
3. What is the item allegedly used for according to the characters?
4. The shoes are thought to be vessels designed for holding what item(s)?
5. Who is responsible for tagging the items in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carson referred to these locations in the story but what were they really?
2. When did the great catastrophe occur? What caused it?
3. Explain the Sacred Headband. What is the inscription on it?
4. Where did Carson end up? What was he facing when he landed?
5. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
6. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
7. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
8. What did German scholar Heinrich von Hooligan discover? What was the alleged purpose of the items(s)?
9. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
10. What was Carson's reaction when he realized what he had found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macaulay was very creative in coming up with alternate uses and meanings for all of the objects found in the Motel of the Mysteries. How do you think Macaulay managed to make up the items and still manage to be funny? What other objects might have been included in the text? Would you be able to come up with a similar scenario? Explain. What did the objects in the motel symbolize? Do you think the author had any specific idea in mind, such as relating specific items to religious affiliations? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The sacred items found in the book may be metaphors or symbols for other objects not listed. Choose at least five of the items and relate them to what you consider to be obvious metaphors. Why did you choose the item? What makes you think that the item is a metaphor or has some symbolic meaning to the author? Explain. What metaphors could you add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)