|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object is draped across the chair in the room?
2. Carson often woke in the night screaming out what word?
3. Which one of the following items is not worn by Harriet?
4. What was installed to appease the spirits of the dead?
5. What originally concealed the item and kept it from view?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
2. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
3. Explain Carson's nightmare experienced shortly after the start of the excavation.
4. Carson referred to these locations in the story but what were they really?
5. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
6. What are Carson's names for items #8, 9, & 10?
7. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
8. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
9. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
10. Name two pieces of jewelry worn by Harriet. What were their real uses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are several places in the text that make reference to curses. Even scientists who did not believe in curses came to believe after a series of accidents happened at a particular location. One example is the curse placed on the tomb of King Tut. Examine the reality of curses. Do you think curses are real? What could convince scientists to believe in curses? Examine other possible explanations for the events that happened at the excavation sites. Choose at least three sites to examine from a scientific point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Macaulay was very creative in coming up with alternate uses and meanings for all of the objects found in the Motel of the Mysteries. How do you think Macaulay managed to make up the items and still manage to be funny? What other objects might have been included in the text? Would you be able to come up with a similar scenario? Explain. What did the objects in the motel symbolize? Do you think the author had any specific idea in mind, such as relating specific items to religious affiliations? Explain.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)