|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person credited with finding the specific location?
2. What does Carson do to be able to get inside?
3. What item of Carson's was temporarily lost?
4. Along the passageways, workers found signs/objects bearing what word(s)?
5. Interest was revived in the lost continent how many years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the small relief? What date was put onto the item? What was the purpose of the date?
2. Upon seeing this fantastic discovery, Carson had hopes of finding what?
3. One of the items discovered in Tomb #26 was a Bell System. What was the item's purpose? How was it used?
4. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
5. When did Harriet meet her untimely demise? What happened?
6. Name two pieces of jewelry worn by Harriet. What were their real uses?
7. What is the Sacred Seal? How does Carson define its purpose?
8. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
9. What was the purpose of the room filled with games?
10. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Archeologists have a fascinating but difficult job in discovering and identifying ancient objects and associating them to various cultures. Archeological finds are clearly important in learning the history of a culture, especially if the culture has not been studied. Choose a famous archeological dig. Write a 1000 word essay on the dig, its purpose and what was found at the site. Were the artifacts telling about any specific culture? Explain. Did that particular dig lead to another excavation? If so, give details on any subsequent excavations.
Essay Topic 2
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
Essay Topic 3
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
This section contains 2,182 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)