|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carson realizes that he is directly in front of what type of structure?
2. When was that object usually placed at a scene?
3. In what year were the remnants of the first flying machine discovered?
4. What was the man searching for when he disappeared?
5. What item glinted in the light when the door was opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What covered the majority of North America?
2. What was the result? How long did it take?
3. What happened right after the catastrophe?
4. Why was #9 proportioned in a specific way?
5. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
6. How did Carson spend most of his time?
7. What are Carson's names for items #8, 9, & 10?
8. Explain Carson's nightmare experienced shortly after the start of the excavation.
9. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
10. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)