|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day did Carson typically have lunch?
2. What is the most impressive example of architecture attributed to the extinct people?
3. Carson is surprised to find that the ________ is intact.
4. What was installed to appease the spirits of the dead?
5. The skeletons of how many people are found in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long was it between the discovery and the beginning of the excavation? Was it successful?
2. What happened right after the catastrophe?
3. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
4. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
5. Carson referred to these locations in the story but what were they really?
6. Explain the Sacred Headband. What is the inscription on it?
7. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
8. How did Carson spend most of his time?
9. How is Howard Carson's life described before the discovery of the Motel of the Mysteries?
10. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Water is a common theme when researching ancient cultures. In the case of the Motel of the Mysteries, there are several sections that refer to the use of water, from the Inner Chamber to the pool area by the Great Courtyard. Discuss each item that can be related to water. Explain its real use, the use created for the book, and how each item works. Why is water so important? What can be learned about a culture's use of water? When was the first water vessel discovered? Where?
Essay Topic 3
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)