|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in rooms #19 and 20?
2. What date is referred to when discussing the great catastrophe?
3. Which of the following objects is not on the dresser?
4. What does Carson do to be able to get inside?
5. What word is used to describe the state of the crew at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two pieces of jewelry worn by Harriet. What were their real uses?
2. Who did Carson often talk to during the long days at the site?
3. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
4. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
5. Explain Carson's nightmare experienced shortly after the start of the excavation.
6. What did Harriet say in reference to the opening of the door at Tomb #26?
7. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
8. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
9. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
10. How is Howard Carson's life described before the discovery of the Motel of the Mysteries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sacred items found in the book may be metaphors or symbols for other objects not listed. Choose at least five of the items and relate them to what you consider to be obvious metaphors. Why did you choose the item? What makes you think that the item is a metaphor or has some symbolic meaning to the author? Explain. What metaphors could you add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 3
There are several people mentioned early in the text regarding the search for antiquities. They include Guido Michelin, Currant Bunliffe, and Howard Carson. Compare and contrast the three characters in reference to their personal and professional interests as well as their discoveries surround the ancient culture of Usa.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)