Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date is referred to when discussing the great catastrophe?
2. When was that object usually placed at a scene?
3. Which one of the following items is not worn by Harriet?
4. A series of important writings is attributed to whom?
5. How long does Carson spend on the excavation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
2. What covered the majority of North America?
3. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
4. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
5. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
6. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
7. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
8. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
9. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
10. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
Essay Topic 1
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The sacred items found in the book may be metaphors or symbols for other objects not listed. Choose at least five of the items and relate them to what you consider to be obvious metaphors. Why did you choose the item? What makes you think that the item is a metaphor or has some symbolic meaning to the author? Explain. What metaphors could you add to the story?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)