|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carson do to be able to get inside?
2. It is eventually determined that the stripes on the earth were used for what specific purpose?
3. What common object is referred to as the ceremonial platform?
4. How old is this character?
5. Carson often woke in the night screaming out what word?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Carson's names for items #8, 9, & 10?
2. Explain the Sacred Headband. What is the inscription on it?
3. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
4. When did the great catastrophe occur? What caused it?
5. Where did Carson end up? What was he facing when he landed?
6. How did Carson spend most of his time?
7. What covered the majority of North America?
8. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
9. How long was it between the discovery and the beginning of the excavation? Was it successful?
10. What happened right after the catastrophe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Archeologists have a fascinating but difficult job in discovering and identifying ancient objects and associating them to various cultures. Archeological finds are clearly important in learning the history of a culture, especially if the culture has not been studied. Choose a famous archeological dig. Write a 1000 word essay on the dig, its purpose and what was found at the site. Were the artifacts telling about any specific culture? Explain. Did that particular dig lead to another excavation? If so, give details on any subsequent excavations.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the artifacts in the Motel are linked by Carson and the workers to some form of religious ceremony. What would cause the workers to make those assumptions? What else could be related to the artifacts in lieu of religion? What religious artifacts do you think were used in society during Carson's time? Are religious artifacts more important as symbols of religion or are they more important as historical items? Also, how could Carson know which gods were associated each sacred item found in the hotel? Would you relate those things to the same gods? Explain.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)