|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The columns typically found next to what object?
2. What was the purpose of the tradition? What does the action bring?
3. What common object is referred to as the ceremonial platform?
4. Some columns can be as much as _____ feet tall?
5. What was the man searching for when he disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Sacred Parchment? What is its use?
2. What was Carson's reaction when he realized what he had found?
3. Why was #9 proportioned in a specific way?
4. What was the result? How long did it take?
5. When was there an interest rekindled in North America? Why?
6. How is Howard Carson's life described before the discovery of the Motel of the Mysteries?
7. What happened right after the catastrophe?
8. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
9. Name two pieces of jewelry worn by Harriet. What were their real uses?
10. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Archeologists have a fascinating but difficult job in discovering and identifying ancient objects and associating them to various cultures. Archeological finds are clearly important in learning the history of a culture, especially if the culture has not been studied. Choose a famous archeological dig. Write a 1000 word essay on the dig, its purpose and what was found at the site. Were the artifacts telling about any specific culture? Explain. Did that particular dig lead to another excavation? If so, give details on any subsequent excavations.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)