Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date is referred to when discussing the great catastrophe?
2. When was that object usually placed at a scene?
3. Which one of the following items is not worn by Harriet?
4. A series of important writings is attributed to whom?
5. How long does Carson spend on the excavation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real life description of the wall fragment found in the communal Sacred Urn room near the Great Sanctuary. Explain the real purpose of the so-called laborers' marks.
2. What covered the majority of North America?
3. Describe the pendant found in the Inner Chamber. What is it made out of and what is the inscription?
4. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
5. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
6. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
7. The Sacred Seal is one of the most coveted items found in the Motel. Explain what souvenir was created from a replica of the Sacred Seal.
8. In what way does Harriet show that she is still devoted to Carson?
9. Explain how the scientists viewed the mosaic tile. How was it decorated? Where was it typically found?
10. How did Howard Carson find the excavation site?
Essay Topic 1
Howard Carson is painted as a ne'er do well in the beginning of the book. How did Carson make a living? What was the man's level of ambition? Why did Carson decide it was time to change his life? How did he propose to make changes? Were those goals accomplished? Did the effort to change cause Carson to land at the Motel of the Mysteries? How did Carson handle the discovery of the motel? Did Carson see the discovery as his destiny? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
Essay Topic 3
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)