|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for tagging the items in the room?
2. It became a popular tradition to do what to the monument?
3. What does Carson do to be able to get inside?
4. What item of Carson's was temporarily lost?
5. A series of important writings is attributed to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carson referred to these locations in the story but what were they really?
2. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
3. What did German scholar Heinrich von Hooligan discover? What was the alleged purpose of the items(s)?
4. How is Howard Carson's life described before the discovery of the Motel of the Mysteries?
5. Once the discovery of the excavation site was made known word began to spread all over the world. Who came to visit the site?
6. What happened right after the catastrophe?
7. What were the "columns" discussed by scientists? What were they really? Where would they normally be found?
8. What is the Sacred Seal? How does Carson define its purpose?
9. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
10. When did the excavation begin? How long did it last? Who helped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Along with spending many years working on the excavation site, Carson never gave up his fascination with camels. One could say that the dromedary research was Carson's life's work. Write an essay about what could become your life's work. In what professional area would you want to spend the rest of your life? Explain. What would it take for you to get to that place? What would be the pros and cons of the profession?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book it is mentioned that space craft had crashed due to the Pollutantus Gravitas. It was stated later than airplanes could not fly because of the density of the air. Research and write an essay on the flight requirements for a modern airplane. What kind of turbulence or pollution could cause a plan to crash or not to fly at all? Research the same about space craft. Does any of your research match the text? Explain.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)