|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous site was discovered?
2. In what year does Carson change?
3. Who most likely created this thing?
4. Where were the most significant discoveries made after the great catastrophe?
5. What is the name of Carson's companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Howard Carson after he returned to his former interest and research involving the camels?
2. What did Carson do one day while eating his lunch?
3. What items were found lining the passageway between the tombs?
4. What happened right after the catastrophe?
5. Explain Carson's nightmare experienced shortly after the start of the excavation.
6. How does the text describe the fragments of Plasticus Petrificus? How might it be reproduced?
7. The item(s) were eventually classified as being what?
8. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that communication would be possible even after a person's death?
9. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
10. What was the main error in setting up the exhibit in the Museum? What problem did it cause? Whose fault was the error?
Essay Topic 1
The Triumphal Arch was considered to be one of the most significant finds regarding the ancient culture of Usa. Discuss the Triumphal Arch and its use as a gateway. Do you think the explanation of the arch's placement in relation to the west coast falling into the ocean makes any sense? Do think there was a specific placement of the arch? Explain. Other pieces of architecture are represented in the book as being important discoveries. Why are monuments so interesting to archeologists and historians? How do you think they arrived at the explanations listed in the book? Do you think any other explanations might have been considered? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Howard Carson and Harriet Burton. In the beginning of the book Harriet is referred to as a colleague. As the book goes on it becomes clear that Harriet has a sense of deep devotion toward Carson. Write a detailed synopsis of the relationship between the two excavators. What were the pros and cons? Did either person make it obvious that there was something more than a purely professional relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the artifacts in the Motel are linked by Carson and the workers to some form of religious ceremony. What would cause the workers to make those assumptions? What else could be related to the artifacts in lieu of religion? What religious artifacts do you think were used in society during Carson's time? Are religious artifacts more important as symbols of religion or are they more important as historical items? Also, how could Carson know which gods were associated each sacred item found in the hotel? Would you relate those things to the same gods? Explain.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)