|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ceremonial pool was located next to what feature?
2. What adjective is used to describe Carson's lab?
3. What common item is referred to as the ceremonial headdress?
4. Everything in the room faces which of the following?
5. How many inscriptions are found written on the columns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carson refer to the faucets? Where are they located?
2. What is the description used for the paperweight in the Souvenirs and Quality Reproductions section?
3. What happened to Carson as he stood surveying the site?
4. What was the material used to create the coffee service? Where is it manufactured?
5. What object was excavated just outside the area of the rusted sculptures? What did the excavators believe the signs were used for?
6. When was there an interest rekindled in North America? Why?
7. Name two pieces of jewelry worn by Harriet. What were their real uses?
8. Upon seeing this fantastic discovery, Carson had hopes of finding what?
9. What were the musical instruments found by Carson? How did they work?
10. According to the text what surrounded the complex outside? What would the area be described as in today's terms?
Essay Topic 1
The author makes a solid point regarding pollution and the state of the ozone layer. As a result of decades of polluting the air and not caring about the ozone, it was only a matter of time before Pollutantus Gravitas would fall to the earth and smother out the Yank civilization. Compare and contrast the condition of pollution and the ozone layer from 1985 and today. What are the most significant changes? Were there any parts of the story that could be even remotely correct? Explain. How has pollution changed over the years? In your opinion, does pollution have anything to do with global warming?
Essay Topic 2
The basis of Motel of the Mysteries surrounds the study of a fallen civilization. Discuss the characters' fascination with the ancient culture ruined thousands of years before. Why are the historians and archeologists so interested in what happened 2000 years ago? How can archeologists know the age of a particular artifact? How can they know if it belongs to a particular culture? What if a newly discovered artifact does not belong to any known culture? What kind of artifacts might the archeologists find to support their theories?
Essay Topic 3
Great care must be taken when excavating a site like the one at the Motel of the Mysteries. Explain in detail the tools and processes used by archeologists. How do the archeologists know when to use a specific tool? Is all of the work done by hand? Is it all tedious and painstaking? What is the most desired artifact in the eyes of a typical archeologist? What is the most difficult part of the job? What is the biggest reward?
This section contains 2,182 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)