|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days do the Foxes travel in the floating hut before they reach an inhabited Miskito village?
2. How does Allie refer to the front of the house in Laguna Miskita?
3. When the white men show up in Jeronimo, what do they have with them?
4. What location is Allie talking about when he is telling his party about dirty silverware and bad meals?
5. What does the family live on while Allie is paralyzed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother treat the Indians who recognize the Spellgood's vehicle?
2. Why don't the Foxes mourn Allie's death?
3. Why is Jeronimo always full of people?
4. Why does Charlie want to go to Guampu?
5. Describe the three men who come to Jeronimo.
6. Why does Mr. Haddy come to visit Charlie?
7. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
8. How does Allie feel about the Acre?
9. How do the three men who come to Jeronimo die?
10. Why does Mr. Haddy come to Cabo Gracias?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of ice in the novel? What does it represent for Allie and for the people of Honduras? How does ice drive the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Allie Fox is adamant about his hatred for "scavengers." What is his meaning when he uses this term? Who does he apply it to? How is his hatred for scavengers ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the gruesomeness of Allie's death. Why does Theroux have his main character die in such a grotesque manner? Why does he die with so little dignity? What is the significance of the vultures?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)