|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allie make his sons search for on the bottom of the river?
2. What does Allie name his floating hut?
3. How does Allie refer to the childrens' camp?
4. What does the family live on while Allie is paralyzed?
5. Where do Charlie, Allie, and Jerry look for metal parts and tools?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother refuse to leave Guampu when Charlie gives her the keys to the Gurneys' vehicle?
2. What does Allie say happened to the U.S.?
3. How does Allie feel about the Acre?
4. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
5. Explain how Allie dies.
6. Why does Allie want to travel upstream?
7. How do the three men who come to Jeronimo die?
8. How does Allie recall the situation with the three men who died in Jeronimo?
9. Why does Mr. Haddy come to visit Charlie?
10. How does Emily try to help Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Jerry and Charlie often butt heads. Compare and contrast the boys and explain what roles they play in the novel. How would the novel be different without either of them?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Allie seems to change the past when retelling prior events. Choose two or three of those instances to write about. Why do you think Allie does this? Does he believe his own lies or is he simply trying to manipulate his party?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Allie Fox is adamant about his hatred for "scavengers." What is his meaning when he uses this term? Who does he apply it to? How is his hatred for scavengers ironic?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)