|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerry begin to call his father?
2. What does Mr. Haddy bring to Charlie that he doesn't want Allie to know about?
3. What insect does Allie tell the white men that Jeronimo is infested with?
4. How long does it take the Foxes to get from the Miskito village to Guampu?
5. What item of clothing do all the men in the Indian village wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Allie try to charm the Thurtles?
2. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
3. What trade deal does Allie make with the Thurtles?
4. Why does Charlie wish that something bad would happen at Jeronimo when he and his group return from over the mountains?
5. How does the ice cube that is meant for the Indians over the mountain get broken?
6. Why does Allie make Jerry ride on the little boat behind the floating house?
7. How does a Miskito Indian help the Fox family when they are on their way to the sea?
8. Why does Mr. Haddy come to Cabo Gracias?
9. How does Emily try to help Charlie?
10. How does Jerry feel about his father in Laguna Miskita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Emily Spellgood. What is her role in the novel? What does she represent for Charlie?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of ice in the novel? What does it represent for Allie and for the people of Honduras? How does ice drive the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore some of Allie's made-up terms. What are the meanings? What might be the author's reasoning for giving Allie such a colorful vocabulary?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)