|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white man with big teeth wear that the other men don't?
2. The ice that Allie is taking to the Indians melts to the size of what object?
3. What item does a boat owner ask Charlie for?
4. How long does it take the Foxes to get from the Miskito village to Guampu?
5. What number does Allie tell Charlie to count to after he lights the fire on the ice plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerry feel about his father in Laguna Miskita?
2. Why does Charlie wish that something bad would happen at Jeronimo when he and his group return from over the mountains?
3. How does Allie feel about the Acre?
4. How do the three men who come to Jeronimo die?
5. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
6. Explain how Allie dies.
7. Why does Mother think that Allie is driven to invent?
8. On the way back to Jeronimo, what does Allie say happened with the Indians over the mountain?
9. What trade deal does Allie make with the Thurtles?
10. Describe the three men who come to Jeronimo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Mosquito Coast" uses symbolism a bit. Explore the symbolism behind the mirror, the toilet seat, and the chisel that Allie gives to a group of Indians. What does each object represent and what do they represent as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "The Mosquito Coast," Allie Fox is highly critical of American culture. What points does he make about America and what problems does he see with his country? Choose three of his complaints about America and explain if they are valid in any way. Even if they have some validity, are his complaints contradictory?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it ironic that Allie tries to bring technology to Honduras? Why is the family's dependence on technology significant to the novel?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)