|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Allie buried?
2. What item does a boat owner ask Charlie for?
3. What one piece of produce does Jerry want to eat but is denied by his father?
4. Where does Allie let the white men sleep?
5. What song do the twins sing for the Miskito clan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Haddy come to visit Charlie?
2. How does Allie feel about the Acre?
3. Why does Allie make Jerry ride on the little boat behind the floating house?
4. Why does Allie want to travel upstream?
5. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
6. How does Mother treat the Indians who recognize the Spellgood's vehicle?
7. Why is Jeronimo always full of people?
8. How does Allie recall the situation with the three men who died in Jeronimo?
9. Why does Charlie want to go to Guampu?
10. What happens to the Foxes' garden and home after it starts raining?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the gruesomeness of Allie's death. Why does Theroux have his main character die in such a grotesque manner? Why does he die with so little dignity? What is the significance of the vultures?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Allie and Mr. Haddy like? Are they friends? Does Mr. Haddy respect Allie the way Allie would like? How do you think they feel about each other? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Allie Fox is adamant about his hatred for "scavengers." What is his meaning when he uses this term? Who does he apply it to? How is his hatred for scavengers ironic?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)