|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Zambu Indian headed when he meets the Foxes in Brewer's Lagoon?
2. How many baskets of produce does the Indian give to the Foxes?
3. Where does Mother say she wants to walk to from Brewer's Lagoon?
4. What do the people on the beach think Allie's occupation is?
5. What does Mr. Haddy use to start a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother treat the Indians who recognize the Spellgood's vehicle?
2. What happens to the Foxes' garden and home after it starts raining?
3. What trade deal does Allie make with the Thurtles?
4. Why does Allie want to travel upstream?
5. Why does Mr. Haddy come to Cabo Gracias?
6. How do the three men who come to Jeronimo die?
7. What do Mother and Allie argue about, and how do they resolve it?
8. Describe the three men who come to Jeronimo.
9. How does the ice cube that is meant for the Indians over the mountain get broken?
10. Why does Mr. Haddy come to visit Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The twins, April and Clover, are minor characters, but occasionally they drive the plot. Explore their significance. Why do you think Theroux made them twins instead of one daughter? When do they drive the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in "The Mosquito Coast" to give the reader an idea of events to come. Think of three examples of foreshadowing and explain what events are foreseen.
Essay Topic 3
How are the Foxes similar to the missionaries who frequent Honduras? How are they different? Are they also like the strangers with guns? Explain your answer.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)