|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on Allie's body has he been shot?
2. How many people does it take to operate Allie's mechanical pump?
3. Who ties Allie's hands behind his back?
4. How many white men do Allie and his party see in the Indian village?
5. What item of clothing do all the men in the Indian village wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Foxes' garden and home after it starts raining?
2. Why does Charlie want to go to Guampu?
3. Why does Charlie wish that something bad would happen at Jeronimo when he and his group return from over the mountains?
4. Why don't the Foxes mourn Allie's death?
5. Describe the three men who come to Jeronimo.
6. How does Allie react when Charlie tells him about a natural insect repellent?
7. How does Jerry feel about his father in Laguna Miskita?
8. How does Mother treat the Indians who recognize the Spellgood's vehicle?
9. How does Emily try to help Charlie?
10. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Emily Spellgood. What is her role in the novel? What does she represent for Charlie?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Allie and Mr. Haddy like? Are they friends? Does Mr. Haddy respect Allie the way Allie would like? How do you think they feel about each other? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The twins, April and Clover, are minor characters, but occasionally they drive the plot. Explore their significance. Why do you think Theroux made them twins instead of one daughter? When do they drive the plot?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)