|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Mr. Haddy warn the Foxes about while they are at Laguna Miskita?
2. What number does Allie tell Charlie to count to after he lights the fire on the ice plant?
3. What does Allie ask Mother to make for the white men who enter Jeronimo?
4. How long does Allie sleep the night the ice plant explodes?
5. What does Allie demand from the Indians after they tell him to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mother and Allie argue about, and how do they resolve it?
2. How does Allie feel about the Acre?
3. What trade deal does Allie make with the Thurtles?
4. How do Charlie and Jerry trap their father?
5. How does Allie recall the situation with the three men who died in Jeronimo?
6. How does the ice cube that is meant for the Indians over the mountain get broken?
7. Why does Allie make Jerry ride on the little boat behind the floating house?
8. How does Allie try to charm the Thurtles?
9. Why does Charlie want to go to Guampu?
10. How does a Miskito Indian help the Fox family when they are on their way to the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Maywits and the Foxes. How are they alike, and how are they different? Explain the role of the Maywits in the novel. What purpose do they serve for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in "The Mosquito Coast" to give the reader an idea of events to come. Think of three examples of foreshadowing and explain what events are foreseen.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the gruesomeness of Allie's death. Why does Theroux have his main character die in such a grotesque manner? Why does he die with so little dignity? What is the significance of the vultures?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)