|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Allie's drink made from guavas and mangoes?
2. What treat do the twins want to eat?
3. What is Gurney Spellgood's occupation?
4. What kind of bird grabs Charlie's fishing bait?
5. What do the people of Jeronimo think that Allie is building when he is building his ice plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Captain Smalls describe life in Honduras to Charlie?
2. What items do the Foxes buy when they go shopping in Chapter 6?
3. How do the Foxes spend their first day off from work in six weeks?
4. Describe what Charlie sees when the family first arrives in Honduras.
5. How does Allie react when Charlie refers to the migrant workers' home as the Monkey House?
6. Why does Allie force Mr. Struss to leave his village?
7. Describe the condition that the Foxes leave their house in when they depart for the shore.
8. Why does Allie make a giant iceberg?
9. Describe what Charlie sees when he goes into the field near his house looking for Allie.
10. Why does Allie refuse to buy the rubber seal at the hardware store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of ice in the novel? What does it represent for Allie and for the people of Honduras? How does ice drive the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
"The Mosquito Coast" uses symbolism a bit. Explore the symbolism behind the mirror, the toilet seat, and the chisel that Allie gives to a group of Indians. What does each object represent and what do they represent as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Allie and Mr. Haddy like? Are they friends? Does Mr. Haddy respect Allie the way Allie would like? How do you think they feel about each other? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)