|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flower covers the shack in Jeronimo?
2. What does Allie occasionally forget about his family?
3. What do the children call their camp?
4. The Spellgoods are met by choir girls wearing what color?
5. Who tells Charlie that life in Honduras is easy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Allie come to realize that the Zambu Indians have met missionaries before?
2. What does Allie do to become a hero aboard the Unicorn?
3. What is Allie's work ethic for himself and his crew?
4. How does Allie come to own Jeronimo?
5. How does Allie persuade Honduran natives to help him load cargo?
6. Why does Allie make a giant iceberg?
7. Why does Allie refuse to buy the rubber seal at the hardware store?
8. What does Charlie tell his mother he is afraid of?
9. Why does Polski reject Allie's ice plant?
10. With the ice plant complete, what does Allie dream of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the gruesomeness of Allie's death. Why does Theroux have his main character die in such a grotesque manner? Why does he die with so little dignity? What is the significance of the vultures?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the minor character Emily Spellgood. What is her role in the novel? What does she represent for Charlie?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in "The Mosquito Coast" to give the reader an idea of events to come. Think of three examples of foreshadowing and explain what events are foreseen.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)