|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Charlie and Allie find in the Polskis' cold storage room?
2. What does Charlie see that terrifies him in the field?
3. What do the Foxes take to the Zambu?
4. What is the name of the boat the Foxes sail on?
5. How much does a pineapple cost at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Allie show the Honduran natives that they shouldn't be afraid of his ice plant?
2. With the ice plant complete, what does Allie dream of doing?
3. How does Charlie find out where his family is headed on the Unicorn?
4. What items do the Foxes buy when they go shopping in Chapter 6?
5. How does Allie come to own Jeronimo?
6. Describe what Charlie sees when the family first arrives in Honduras.
7. Why does Allie refuse to build the ice plant for Polski?
8. According to Allie, how does he come to work for Polski?
9. How does Allie come to realize that the Zambu Indians have met missionaries before?
10. Describe what Charlie sees when he goes into the field near his house looking for Allie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Allie Fox is adamant about his hatred for "scavengers." What is his meaning when he uses this term? Who does he apply it to? How is his hatred for scavengers ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, while Allie grows more manic, Charlie grows more mature. Choose three instances where Allie becomes enraged at Charlie for knowing something he did not know. Explore Allie's reason for becoming angry and explain the significance of Charlie's growing maturity.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Maywits and the Foxes. How are they alike, and how are they different? Explain the role of the Maywits in the novel. What purpose do they serve for the reader?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)