|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Polski visit Allie to ask him to refrigerate the barn?
2. Where do the Foxes live before moving to Massachusetts?
3. The Spellgoods are met by choir girls wearing what color?
4. Where are the Indians that Allie wants to take ice to?
5. What is the worst invention Allie can think of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Captain Smalls describe life in Honduras to Charlie?
2. Why is Allie highly critical of the migrant workers for leaving the jungle?
3. What do the Foxes find when they return to the Zambus with more ice?
4. Why does the Fox family rarely go out shopping at real stores?
5. Why does Mr. Haddy's boat's motor catch on a rock?
6. Describe what Charlie sees when the family first arrives in Honduras.
7. According to Allie, how does he come to work for Polski?
8. Describe the condition that the Foxes leave their house in when they depart for the shore.
9. Why does Allie refuse to buy the rubber seal at the hardware store?
10. Describe what Jeronimo looks like when the Foxes first arrive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the Foxes similar to the missionaries who frequent Honduras? How are they different? Are they also like the strangers with guns? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Allie begin to resemble Tiny Polski? Why is this resemblance significant? What does the resemblance say about Allie's reason for leaving the U.S.?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Allie and Mr. Haddy like? Are they friends? Does Mr. Haddy respect Allie the way Allie would like? How do you think they feel about each other? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)