|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the children play on the Gallery floor?
2. What does Charlie see that terrifies him in the field?
3. What language do the men in Fish Bucket speak?
4. Who asks Allie what ice is good for?
5. How long do the Foxes and the other residents of Jeronimo work before they get a day off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polski reject Allie's ice plant?
2. Why does Allie make a giant iceberg?
3. Why does Mr. Haddy's boat's motor catch on a rock?
4. With the ice plant complete, what does Allie dream of doing?
5. How does Allie react when Charlie refers to the migrant workers' home as the Monkey House?
6. Why does the Fox family rarely go out shopping at real stores?
7. How do the Foxes spend their first day off from work in six weeks?
8. Why is Allie highly critical of the migrant workers for leaving the jungle?
9. How does Allie come to own Jeronimo?
10. What does Allie do to become a hero aboard the Unicorn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of ice in the novel? What does it represent for Allie and for the people of Honduras? How does ice drive the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Allie seems to change the past when retelling prior events. Choose two or three of those instances to write about. Why do you think Allie does this? Does he believe his own lies or is he simply trying to manipulate his party?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it ironic that Allie tries to bring technology to Honduras? Why is the family's dependence on technology significant to the novel?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)