|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Foxes live before moving to Massachusetts?
2. What does Allie tell Mother that he wants?
3. Which of Allie's fingers has been partially amputated?
4. What is Gurney Spellgood's occupation?
5. The Foxes board a ship in what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Jeronimo looks like when the Foxes first arrive.
2. How does Captain Smalls describe life in Honduras to Charlie?
3. What reason does Allie give for why he doesn't believe in God?
4. What is Allie's work ethic for himself and his crew?
5. Describe what Charlie sees when he goes into the field near his house looking for Allie.
6. Why does Allie make a giant iceberg?
7. Why does Allie refuse to build the ice plant for Polski?
8. How does Allie react when Charlie refers to the migrant workers' home as the Monkey House?
9. Why do the migrant workers visit the Foxes after dinner in Chapter 7?
10. Why is Allie highly critical of the migrant workers for leaving the jungle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the Foxes similar to the missionaries who frequent Honduras? How are they different? Are they also like the strangers with guns? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "The Mosquito Coast," Allie Fox is highly critical of American culture. What points does he make about America and what problems does he see with his country? Choose three of his complaints about America and explain if they are valid in any way. Even if they have some validity, are his complaints contradictory?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Allie seems to change the past when retelling prior events. Choose two or three of those instances to write about. Why do you think Allie does this? Does he believe his own lies or is he simply trying to manipulate his party?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)