|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Charlie befriends?
2. What does Charlie call the house where the migrant workers live?
3. What is the name of the missionary that Mr. Haddy brings to Jeronimo on his motorboat?
4. Who does Allie say he is when he is welding his ice plant?
5. What language do the men in Fish Bucket speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie tell his mother he is afraid of?
2. Describe what Charlie sees when he goes into the field near his house looking for Allie.
3. How do the Foxes spend their first day off from work in six weeks?
4. How does Allie show the Honduran natives that they shouldn't be afraid of his ice plant?
5. What is Allie's work ethic for himself and his crew?
6. How does Allie feel about American public schools?
7. How does Allie persuade Honduran natives to help him load cargo?
8. Describe what Charlie sees when the family first arrives in Honduras.
9. Why does Polski reject Allie's ice plant?
10. Why does Mr. Haddy's boat's motor catch on a rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, while Allie grows more manic, Charlie grows more mature. Choose three instances where Allie becomes enraged at Charlie for knowing something he did not know. Explore Allie's reason for becoming angry and explain the significance of Charlie's growing maturity.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in "The Mosquito Coast" to give the reader an idea of events to come. Think of three examples of foreshadowing and explain what events are foreseen.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of religion in "The Mosquito Coast." Choose three events from the novel that deal with religion and explain their significance. What do you think Theroux is saying about religion?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)