|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Schwartz explains that the caretaker should follow the sick person's ______.
(a) Daily schedule.
2. As described in Chapter 2, ______ helps Schwartz deal with his disease.
(a) Happy movies.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) His grandchildren.
3. What did Schwartz refer to as the most surprising occurrence in beginning of his illness?
(a) Losing the ability to swallow and speak.
(b) Losing the ability to walk.
(c) Losing the ability to hear.
(d) Losing the ability to see.
4. According to Schwartz, one in declining health should enjoy being _____________.
(a) Too comfortable.
(b) Comfortable enough.
(c) Not comfortable at all.
5. In Chapter 5, Schwartz discusses the importance of _____________.
(a) Talking to loved ones.
(d) Relieving pain.
6. According to Schwartz, it is crucial that one do things ______ than before.
(a) With more determination.
(b) With more concentration.
(c) More slowly.
7. Schwartz warns his readers that illness can have what effect on someone's life?
(a) Your life can become worthless.
(b) The illness can be forgotten.
(c) The illness can swallow up your life.
(d) The illness can be all your friends and family think about.
8. Schwartz states that there will be times when one is psychologically ________ due to one's illness.
(d) Resistant to help.
9. Presumably, what occurrence will be counteracted by the peace one cultivates?
(a) Mental distress.
(b) Physical distress.
(c) Spiritual distress.
(d) Family concern.
10. The best way for Schwartz to express loss is by __________.
(c) Not talking about the issue.
(d) Going to therapy.
11. As the disease continues to progress, what type of situations must one must expect to increase in occurrence?
(a) Stressful situations.
(b) Meaningful situations.
(c) Scary situations.
(d) Hopeful situations.
12. According to Schwartz, what is the effect of negative feelings?
(a) Physical and mental illnesses.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) Little effect.
(d) Physical illness.
13. According to Schwartz, it is important that the sick ask for ________ from those with whom they have had difficult relationships.
(c) An explanation.
14. Even though Schwartz is not able to dance when he hears music, he is described as still being able to ______.
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Sing along with the music.
(c) Enjoy music.
(d) Play the guitar.
15. Schwartz has a breakdown nearly how long after the most tragic event of his life?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grief is what type of an emotion?
2. According to Schwartz, how does our society feel about death?
3. Schwartz explains that focusing on _____ is not an effective form of grieving.
4. Schwartz struggles most with loss of what natural body function?
5. Schwartz uses his feelings of mourning as a source of ______.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)