|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Theodore when he took office?
2. How long had Elliott been gone when we returned to the family?
3. Theodore distinguished ranchmen from what other group?
4. Where did Theodore and Alice go on their honeymoon?
5. In 1882, Theodore was made the Republican nominee for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore define a ranchman? Did Theodore fit this definition?
2. Where did Elliott go? What did he do while there? How did he learn of the family news?
3. What influence did his father have on Theodore's life while he was at Harvard?
4. What was Bamie's role in the family? Give examples from the book/chapter.
5. What did Theodore blame Harvard for? Why?
6. What challenges were present in Theodore and Alice's relationship? How did Theodore overcome these?
7. What did Theodore do at the convention? What was the outcome?
8. Compare and contrast Elliott and Theodore in the events of Chapter 11. How are they similar or different?
9. How did Theodore get involved in politics? Who supported this? Who did not?
10. What news reaches the family through telegrams? Who is first to reach the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Oyster Bay significant to the Roosevelt family? What events or activities did the family participate in here? How would the place remain special after the deaths of their parents? Give specific information from the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Trace Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.'s entry into politics. Why do you think he chose to get involved with politics? What events led him toward a life in politics? What challenges did he face in this area?
Essay Topic 3
What was Theodore, Jr. like as a child? What factors influenced his physical appearance and personality? What tactics did his family take to influence and improve Theodore? Give specific examples from the book.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)