|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a common method to treat asthma during Teedie's childhood?
2. What did the family put on the back piazza?
3. Ellie began suffering from what?
4. What word best describes Ellie as a child?
5. Which day of the week in Victorian times had little or no play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Theodore go to war? How did he get out of serving? How did he feel about this?
2. What was the Roosevelt house like? Describe what the house included and what it looked like.
3. How did people deal with asthma at the time that Teedie lived? What did the family use to try to control or stop the attacks?
4. Where did the family go in the summer of 1871 and 1872? What did they do while they were there?
5. How does asthma affect other family members? How did it affect the Roosevelt family?
6. What illness did Teedie suffer from? How did it affect the family on the trip?
7. How did Theodore, Sr. become involved in the politics in New York?
8. What was the new house like? Why did the family move into it before it was finished?
9. What was the trip like for the family? Where did they go?
10. What did Teedie keep during the trip? How did he feel about the trip? Who remained in Europe after the family left for home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Theodore meet Alice? What challenges did they face in their relationship? What did they do to overcome these? Do you think they had a happy marriage? Why or why not? Back up your answer with information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives and activities of the two Roosevelt boys (Theodore and Elliott) and the two girls (Bamie and Corinne). What differences in their activities and the expectations that others had for them existed? Why do you think these differences were present?
Essay Topic 3
How did the deaths of Theodore, Sr. and Mittie affect their children? What changes occurred to the family after their deaths? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answers.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)