|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While walking to the chamber of the lord, they recognize the smell of:
2. After leaving the castle, Nicholas:
3. While they are waiting for Lord de Guise, they:
4. How does Stephen arrive for the play's performance?
5. Why couldn't Nicholas give the dying man absolution:
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Stephen learn?
2. Nicholas thinks over the events of the last few days. What does he blame for their predicament?
3. Why do the players feel they are in danger?
4. What do Martin and Nicholas learn at the jail?
5. How do the players perform the play?
6. What does Lord de Guise want from the players?
7. Who does Nicholas decide to see for information?
8. What does examining the body of Thomas Wells reveal?
9. What promises does the Justice make?
10. What does Nicholas learn about the activities of John Lambert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author has various techniques that he uses in the book. Discuss the use of light and what it means. Why is Death referred to with a capital 'D'?
Essay Topic 2
Would you consider Martin an innovator? Why or why not? Do you think he had good ideas? Why or why not? Was the play of the murder a good idea in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting for the novel. What are the characteristics of fourteenth century England? Comment on the living conditions of the people.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)