|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other question is raised in the play?
2. Why was the Justice come to the town?
3. The play is ended by:
4. What does Lord de Guise have with him?
5. What are the players allowed to take with them to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the players allowed to bring to the castle?
2. How do the players perform the play?
3. What does Nicholas decide about returning to the church?
4. Nicholas thinks over the events of the last few days. What does he blame for their predicament?
5. Some of the players want to leave after the performance but Martin wants to stay. Why?
6. Why do the players feel they are in danger?
7. How did the players think they would deal with Lord de Guise?
8. What does Lord de Guise want from the players?
9. Why is the audience angry at the players when they learn of the Monk's death?
10. What does Nicholas explain about the Play of Thomas Wells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the character of Martin. Do you think he is a strong player? Why or why not? Why is he so quiet when the players are hold captive at the castle?
Essay Topic 2
After the first performance of the play of Thomas Wells, the players decide they are in danger. Why? Some of them want to leave town but Martin says not until after the second performance. Why does he want them to stay? What happens as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term 'morality play.' What concept does it convey? Would you consider Martin and the players to be moralists? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)