|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scares the players as they are talking at the graveyard?
2. What is going to take place in the town:
3. What role did Brendan play better than anyone?
4. In thinking about the low attendance, what does Martin realize about the audience?
5. Who turned in Roger True's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Martin begins the Prologue to the play, what does he explain to the audience?
2. What does Nicholas decide about returning to the church?
3. What does the group find strange about the circumstances surrounding Thomas Wells' death?
4. How do the players announce the new play?
5. What do the players discuss after the performance?
6. With whom do Martin and Tobias arrange the funeral of Brendan?
7. What kinds of questions does the Justice ask Margaret?
8. What does Nicholas explain about the Play of Thomas Wells?
9. What does Lord de Guise want from the players?
10. Why do the players at first object to doing a play about a real life event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author has various techniques that he uses in the book. Discuss the use of light and what it means. Why is Death referred to with a capital 'D'?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the character of Nicholas, the priest who becomes a player? Do you think he acts responsibly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the King's Justice? Why does he appear in the town? Do you think Nicholas was right to trust him after he escaped from the castle? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)