|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mma Ramotswe think that women actually do not talk so much?
2. Where is there just a whole lot of rocks?
3. What would JLB Matekoni normally wait for before calling Mma?
4. Why did the Basarwa like the Government Man's father?
5. What might embarrass the younger apprentice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the focus of Chapters 3 and 4?
2. How do her actions relate to the theme of morality?
3. How does the narrative deal with AIDS?
4. What other theme does this character bring to light?
5. Why might AIDS be such a hard topic to broach?
6. How does this reflect on the theme of compassion?
7. What is Mma Ramotswe's moral dilemma?
8. What central theme is also introduced?
9. What do her actions foreshadow?
10. How does Chapter 7 start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as business-women?
Essay Topic 2
The book is written in third person narrative. Why do you think McCall Smith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
The landscape is often described by Mma Ramotswe in the narrative. How does the landscape affect her experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)