|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of car is up on the ramp?
2. Where would Mr. JLB Matekoni usually be if the office is empty?
3. What does Mma Ramotswe think about Mercedes-Benz?
4. What was the most immediate decision made regarding the impending marriage?
5. Why does Mma Ramotswe think that women actually do not talk so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this reflect on the theme of compassion?
2. What other theme does this character bring to light?
3. How does Mma Ramotswe react to Mma Makutsi's emerging confidence?
4. What is significant about the way Mma Ramotswe treats Rose?
5. How do the reactions of the characters differ?
6. What theme regarding beauty does the first chapter introduce?
7. What is the meaning of Mma Makutsi's comments about beautiful girls?
8. What is the significance of her not consulting her partner?
9. What is the focus of Chapters 3 and 4?
10. How does the narrative deal with AIDS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the literary style and techniques McCall Smith uses in the book. Why does he adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Mma Ramotswe talks about how much she loves living in Africa. Discuss her motivations. Why does she want to live there?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)