|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mma Makutsi's diploma important?
2. Who can see what is happening inside a family home?
3. What do you never see men talking about?
4. Who is ordinary tea good for?
5. Where is there just a whole lot of rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mma Ramotswe react to Mma Makutsi's emerging confidence?
2. What is significant about the way Mma Ramotswe treats Rose?
3. What change does the reader notice in Mma Makutsi?
4. What does this suggest?
5. How are such relationships defined?
6. What is Mma Ramotswe's moral dilemma?
7. What is interesting about the way the Government Man and his family are introduced?
8. What does this foreshadowing hint at?
9. How do the reactions of the characters differ?
10. How does Chapter 7 start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The landscape is often described by Mma Ramotswe in the narrative. How does the landscape affect her experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Who does Mma Ramotswe suggest has influenced her life? What characters does she mention and why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the literary style and techniques McCall Smith uses in the book. Why does he adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)