|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Basarwa like the Government Man's father?
2. What does Obed know from working in the mines?
3. Why does JLB Matekoni sound confused on the phone?
4. What is JLB Tlokweng known for?
5. What does the Governmant Man's mentally handicapped brother like to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this foreshadowing hint at?
2. What does this suggest?
3. What brings about this change?
4. What else is important about this unusual introduction?
5. What change does the reader notice in Mma Makutsi?
6. How does Chapter 7 start?
7. Why might AIDS be such a hard topic to broach?
8. How does this reflect on the theme of compassion?
9. What central theme is also introduced?
10. What is interesting about the way the Government Man and his family are introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the book were being made into a film, how could McCall Smith's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in third person narrative. Why do you think McCall Smith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)