|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does JLB Matekoni want to do?
2. Where is there just a whole lot of rocks?
3. Who are the most cruel in Africa?
4. What evidence does Mma give JLB Matekoni that his garage is good?
5. What is unusual about Mma Ramotse's arrival at the agency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Richard's illness?
2. What central theme is also introduced?
3. Is this example of compassion significant?
4. What is the significance of her not consulting her partner?
5. How does the narrative deal with AIDS?
6. How do her actions relate to the theme of morality?
7. What theme regarding beauty does the first chapter introduce?
8. How are such relationships defined?
9. How do the reactions of the characters differ?
10. What is the focus of Chapters 3 and 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mma Ramotswe talks about how much she loves living in Africa. Discuss her motivations. Why does she want to live there?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the literary style and techniques McCall Smith uses in the book. Why does he adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)