|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do men never seem happier?
2. What is an advantage of having a treadle sewing machine?
3. Where does Mma Maketetse export her goods?
4. What effect does cool, crisp air have?
5. How does Mma Ramotswe like to approach a new client's problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ending of Chapter 8 typical of a mystery novel?
2. What is Mma Ramotswe's moral dilemma?
3. What is the meaning of Mma Makutsi's comments about beautiful girls?
4. What is significant about the way Mma Ramotswe treats Rose?
5. What is the significance of her not consulting her partner?
6. How does the narrative deal with AIDS?
7. What is interesting about the way the Government Man and his family are introduced?
8. How do her actions relate to the theme of morality?
9. What else is important about this unusual introduction?
10. What is the purpose of creating the mystery surrounding the Government Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mma Ramotswe talks about how much she loves living in Africa. Discuss her motivations. Why does she want to live there?
Essay Topic 3
If the book were being made into a film, how could McCall Smith's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)