|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James Bond notice about Drax's behavior while he observes Drax playing cards?
2. What is James Bond doing at the opening of the story?
3. What is the profession of the person with whom Drax regularly plays cards?
4. Where are M and Bond when M tells Bond that two men working at Drax's Moonraker facility are killed?
5. Where will Moonraker be test launched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude of London's high society about cheating at cards?
2. What do we learn about M, Bond's boss, when they meet to discuss Hugo Drax?
3. Explain James Bond's plan to expose Drax's cheating when they play bridge at Blades after dinner.
4. Explain the presence of Gala Brand.
5. What is Bond's attitude about his new assignment and Drax?
6. Why did Major Tallon, the murdered security officer, call his boss the day before he was murdered?
7. Explain how Hugo Drax acquired his identity during World War II.
8. When Bond arrives at the Moonraker facility and spends time with Drax, what happens to Bond's opinion of Drax?
9. Why does the author focus more on character than on plot in Chapters 6 and 7?
10. How is it possible that Drax is not who he claims to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Bond needs to use quite a bit of reasoning to solve the mystery of Major Tallon's death, and also to deal with Drax. Explain the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning. Which did James Bond use more frequently, inductive or deductive reasoning? In which situations did he use this form of reasoning? As you formulate your answer, think of these terms: clues, inference, logic, evidence.
Essay Topic 2
List the main events from Moonraker. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not? What does this say about the author's organization of the material? Why might he have organized it the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
James Bond is both a participant and an observer in the story. Give an example of a situation where he is a participant, and an example of a situation where he is an observer. Is Bond more frequently a participant or an observer in the story? What makes you think this? Which situation affected him more--being a participant or an observer? How?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)