|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Drax react when he deals an excellent hand to Bond?
2. Why does M say it is odd that Drax would cheat at cards?
3. What is the purpose of the meeting between M and James Bond?
4. What does Professor Train tell Bond makes Moonraker possible?
5. What is the purpose of Bond's meeting with Professor Train, a physicist working on Moonraker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond's response to reading reports indicate about his lifestyle preference?
2. What is Bond's attitude about his new assignment and Drax?
3. Explain James Bond's plan to expose Drax's cheating when they play bridge at Blades after dinner.
4. What is the reaction of Basildon, the chair of the club, when Bond confirms that Drax is cheating at cards?
5. How is the Service involved in the project at Drax's Moonraker facility?
6. Why does the author focus more on character than on plot in Chapters 6 and 7?
7. Explain how Bond beats Drax at cards after Bond signals M.
8. Why is it suspicious that Drax hired fifty German engineers to work on Moonraker?
9. What does Bond learn about how the Moonraker rocket works from Professor Train, a physicist working on the rocket?
10. How does Bond connect Drax's behavior at the card game with his behavior at Moonraker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing throughout Moonraker. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story. Why are these examples most effective? Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 2
In Moonraker, we learn a great deal about James Bond.
1) List four adjectives that describe Bond's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief Bond has?
3) How does he act on this value or belief?
4) Does Bond change as the book progresses, and if so, how does he change? If his character remains the same, why do you think the author chose to characterize Bond in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is defined as when what happens is different from what is expected to happen. For example, a ski trip is canceled because of a snowstorm, or a firehouse catches fire. Describe the ironic situation involving Moonraker landing in the ocean and Drax's attempted escape in the submarine. Do you think the author intentionally had irony in mind when he included this situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)