|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Claudia's view, what is "history?"
(a) Something that is dead.
(b) Something that is alive and exciting.
(c) The result of mundane travelers.
(d) Old stuff that had to be learned in school.
2. Who says that refusing to believe in destiny is mere self-indulgence?
3. What interested Claudia in the Mayflower?
(a) The excitement of exploration.
(b) A spaniel was on it.
(c) An obsession with Columbus.
(d) The adventure.
4. As Claudia reminisces in Chapter 2, what subject does she recall her brother being tutored in when she was 13?
5. In what city does 31-year-old Claudia make her prayer?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who administers first aid to a soldier found wounded at the armored car wreckage?
2. Who lives with Harry?
3. What was Jasper's nationality?
4. According to Chapter 2, which woman does Claudia admire most?
5. Whom does Sylvia visit in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the argument between Claudia and Gordon at the end of Chapter 3.
2. How does young Claudia learn where babies come from?
3. How does Gordon react when his wife storms away from the marketplace in Chapter 3?
4. What is ironic about the hippos Claudia and Tom see in the Cairo Zoo?
5. What is unique about Claudia's job in Cairo?
6. What is the illness Claudia contracts in Chapter 7, and how is it transmitted?
7. What is Claudia's view of religion?
8. Give an example from Chapter 6 that shows Claudia's inability to share true emotional intimacy.
9. What is ironic about Lisa not telling her mother about her affair?
10. Discuss Claudia's relationship with her roommate in Chapter 7.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)