|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what was the command for the special trick the dog would do?
(a) "Speak your mind."
(b) "Die for your country."
(c) "Take a load off."
(d) "Cast your vote."
2. What plant does Sylvia take to Claudia when she is in the hospital?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A tulip.
(c) A poinsettia.
(d) A rose.
3. Who lives with Harry?
(a) Lisa, Claudia and Jasper.
(b) Lisa and one son, one daugher.
(c) Lisa and their two sons.
(d) Lisa and their daughters.
4. How many times in her life has Claudia prayed?
5. According to Chapter 2, which woman does Claudia admire most?
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hippos in the zoo eat?
2. What was the name of the church in which 31-year-old Claudia made her prayer?
3. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 that Claudia and her brother collected on the beach as children?
4. How old was Lisa when she got married?
5. Whom does Sylvia visit in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Claudia's thoughts on infants and young children. When was she most interested in her own daughter?
2. Give an example from Chapter 6 that shows Claudia's inability to share true emotional intimacy.
3. What is Claudia's view of religion?
4. Describe Jasper.
5. Discuss the argument between Claudia and Gordon at the end of Chapter 3.
6. Discuss the language soldiers used to describe war events. Why did they choose this language?
7. What does Claudia believe is the biggest influence of her daughter's life?
8. What makes Sylvia uncomfortable about Gordon's relationship with Claudia and how does she handle it?
9. Discuss Claudia's relationship with her roommate in Chapter 7.
10. In Chapter 8, how does Claudia juggle her work schedule when she spends time with Tom during his leave?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)