|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claudia tell Mr. Hamilton about history as they initially speak?
(a) That she is sick of history.
(b) That history is dead.
(c) That she was part of history herself.
(d) That history is an illusion.
2. What does Claudia apologize for in Chapter 15?
(a) Encouraging their sexual relationship.
(b) For keeping secrets.
(c) For things she said about Gordon.
(d) Being an inadequate mother.
3. What were Tom and Claudia exploring as he stole kisses in dark corners?
(a) A market.
(b) A pyramid.
(c) A mosque.
(d) A tent.
4. What two physical characteristics does Claudia believe have made her life different?
(a) Her beauty and intelligence.
(b) Her hair and her smile.
(c) Her appendectomy and an old scar.
(d) Her height and her high cheek bones.
5. Where does Claudia move to until her first baby is born?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) Her mother's home.
(d) A halfway house.
6. Who tells Claudia that Tom has been killed?
(a) Tom's brother.
(b) One of her officer friends.
(c) Tom's mother.
(d) Tom's sergeant.
7. What question does Claudia ask when she has a delusional moment in the hospital?
(a) Why the spiders are running across her.
(b) Who took her money.
(c) Where the polar bear went.
(d) Whether her baby is a boy or a girl.
8. How exactly does Tom die?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Lack of water.
(d) He died of heat stroke.
9. What is Jasper's greatest advantage in Rocqueville?
(a) His extended vocabulary.
(b) His accent.
(c) Being seen with Claudia.
(d) His cheekbones.
10. Who takes Claudia a gift basket from Fortnum's while she's in the hospital?
11. What is Gordon's noticeable war wound?
(a) A cut on his arm.
(b) Shrapnel in his knee.
(c) A scar on his cheek.
(d) An amputated leg.
12. Why is Claudia eager to see Lisa after her limo accident?
(a) To make up for being an indifferent mother.
(b) She is not eager to see her.
(c) To see how well she's doing in school.
(d) To show her how famous she'd become.
13. What is the stranger's birthday gift to Claudia in Chapter 16?
(a) Tom's journal.
(b) A portfolio of her newspaper clippings.
(c) A photo of Tom.
(d) A postcard from Egypt.
14. How old is Claudia when she takes the position afforded her due to the successful book she recalls in Chapter 13?
15. Who sees the essay and determines she must have been Tom's girlfriend?
(c) Tom's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the war suddenly become real to Claudia?
2. In Chapter 16, what does the reader learn that Claudia publish just a few weeks prior to her birthday?
3. Why do Claudia and Jasper go to Rocqueville?
4. As Claudia recollects, why does Jasper decide to leave his job at the Foreign Office?
5. What is Claudia writing when she receives her Fortnum's gift basket in the hospital?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)