|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two war-related emotions does Claudia learn that Tom felt near the end of his life?
(a) Boredom and horror.
(b) Excitement and anxiety.
(c) Love and loss.
(d) Grief and mourning.
2. Where do Claudia and Jasper take Lisa for her eighth birthday?
(b) The London Zoo.
(c) Chuck E. Cheese.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
3. Why isn't Claudia's Chapter 15 apology effective?
(a) It was drug induced.
(b) It was scripted.
(c) She apologized to the wrong person.
(d) It's half-hearted.
4. What changed Tom's mind about his postwar plans?
(a) He has a natural talent for art.
(b) He thinks Claudia can get him a publishing deal.
(c) The price of poinsettia seeds.
(d) After killing so many people in war, he wants to see things grow now.
5. In Claudia's mind, what is Jasper's greatest sin?
(a) Not being Tom Southern.
(b) Not being able to commit.
(c) Not making more money than she does.
(d) Not asking her to marry him.
6. What is missing from Tom's postwar plans as he explains his desires to Claudia?
(a) How he will start saving for what he wants.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) Financial goals.
(d) How he will get what he wants.
7. Where was the camp that Claudia visited in late 1945 located?
(a) In the southern United States.
(c) In the Redwood Forest.
(d) On the German-Polish border.
8. Why is Claudia eager to see Lisa after her limo accident?
(a) She is not eager to see her.
(b) To show her how famous she'd become.
(c) To see how well she's doing in school.
(d) To make up for being an indifferent mother.
9. Where does Claudia's limo accident occur?
(a) In Egypt.
(b) In downtown Los Angeles.
(c) On the Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) On a movie set.
10. What question does Claudia ask when she has a delusional moment in the hospital?
(a) Whether her baby is a boy or a girl.
(b) Who took her money.
(c) Why the spiders are running across her.
(d) Where the polar bear went.
11. While in Rocqueville, what does Jasper pretend to be?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A Russian spy.
12. What is Jasper's greatest advantage in Rocqueville?
(a) His accent.
(b) His cheekbones.
(c) Being seen with Claudia.
(d) His extended vocabulary.
13. What causes Claudia to burst into tears on the fifth day of her hospital stay?
(a) Gordon's arrival.
(b) She learns that she was the cause of the accident.
(c) She finds out her insurance has lapsed.
(d) Sylvia's harsh comments.
14. What does Claudia tell Mr. Hamilton about history as they initially speak?
(a) That history is an illusion.
(b) That history is dead.
(c) That she was part of history herself.
(d) That she is sick of history.
15. What honor does Claudia's book about the historical figure she recalls in Chapter 13 win?
(a) It receives a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize.
(b) It appears on best seller list.
(c) It is a Caldecott Award winner.
(d) It is selected for Oprah's book club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudia apologize for in Chapter 15?
2. Where does Claudia move to until her first baby is born?
3. Who takes Claudia a gift basket from Fortnum's while she's in the hospital?
4. When Claudia revisits Egypt as a tourist, why is her bus companion disappointed?
5. Who is Mr. Hamilton that Claudia met in Rocqueville?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)