|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gordon's noticeable war wound?
(a) Shrapnel in his knee.
(b) A cut on his arm.
(c) An amputated leg.
(d) A scar on his cheek.
2. What is Lisa's first instinct upon finding the item in her mother's ring as a child?
(a) To clean it out.
(b) To chew it.
(c) To pocket it.
(d) To call it.
3. Where does Claudia's limo accident occur?
(a) In Egypt.
(b) On a movie set.
(c) On the Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) In downtown Los Angeles.
4. What two physical characteristics does Claudia believe have made her life different?
(a) Her height and her high cheek bones.
(b) Her beauty and intelligence.
(c) Her appendectomy and an old scar.
(d) Her hair and her smile.
5. What two war-related emotions does Claudia learn that Tom felt near the end of his life?
(a) Grief and mourning.
(b) Love and loss.
(c) Excitement and anxiety.
(d) Boredom and horror.
6. What was the cause of Tom's death, as Claudia learns in Chapter 16?
(a) Inexperienced gunner.
(b) Enemy air attack.
(c) A bad case of malaria.
(d) Leaking oil.
7. What position does the successful book Claudia recalls in Chapter 13 earn her?
(a) An editor's job.
(b) Historical advisor for the book's film rights.
(c) A position at NATO.
(d) An appearance on a popular talk show.
8. Why does Claudia go to the cathedral to pray?
(a) To pray for a way home.
(b) To pray that Tom is not dead.
(c) Because it is expected of her.
(d) Out of boredom.
9. Which photograph does Claudia include in the book?
(a) A picture of Tom sitting on a broken wall.
(b) One of herself sitting on a Jeep.
(c) One of her in front of a pyramid.
(d) One of her with Tom.
10. In what year do the Allies endure months of standoff with Rommel's tanks?
11. Which Egyptian city was a major hub even when Europeans were still living in caves?
12. What was the subject of Claudia's nightmare in Chapter 13?
(a) A gruesome flight of Cortez's Spaniards from the Aztec capital of Tlacopan.
(b) Seeing Tom die in the desert.
(c) Having malaria.
(d) Having a baby and not knowing its gender.
13. What does Claudia apologize for in Chapter 15?
(a) Being an inadequate mother.
(b) Encouraging their sexual relationship.
(c) For things she said about Gordon.
(d) For keeping secrets.
14. What changed Tom's mind about his postwar plans?
(a) After killing so many people in war, he wants to see things grow now.
(b) He has a natural talent for art.
(c) He thinks Claudia can get him a publishing deal.
(d) The price of poinsettia seeds.
15. What does the nurse tell Claudia when her miscarriage begins?
(a) It's false labor pains.
(b) That her baby will be a preemie.
(c) It's for the best since she's not married.
(d) That the hospital won't care for her without insurance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stranger's birthday gift to Claudia in Chapter 16?
2. Whom is Camilla dating when she and Claudia live in Cairo?
3. What ceases the physical relationship between Claudia and Gordon?
4. What are Claudia and Gordon arguing about just before he dies?
5. In Claudia's mind, what is Jasper's greatest sin?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)