|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which American university does Gordon teach?
(c) Southern California.
2. What embarrasses Sylvia in Chapter 3?
(a) Her hair.
(b) The way Gordon is smacking.
(c) The rude comments made by Claudia and Gordon to waiters.
(d) Claudia's choice of apparel.
3. Who says the war has received good press?
4. How old was Lisa when she got married?
5. What does Gordon teach?
(b) English literature.
6. How does Claudia tell Tom what she does for a living?
(a) She doesn't.
7. What is the image of war that the press has presented?
(a) Popular and necessary.
(b) Idyllic and heroic.
(d) Exhaustion, exhilaration, bordom, and discomfort.
8. How many soldiers were discovered wounded at the armored car wreckage?
9. As Claudia reminisces in Chapter 2, what subject does she recall her brother being tutored in when she was 13?
10. What does Claudia tell the nurse she is writing in Chapter 1?
(a) A history of the world.
(b) A biography of a war captain.
(c) A love story.
(d) An autobiography.
11. In Chapter 2, what was the command for the special trick the dog would do?
(a) "Cast your vote."
(b) "Take a load off."
(c) "Speak your mind."
(d) "Die for your country."
12. Why was Claudia chided after help was requested for the wounded at the armored car wreckage?
(a) For wandering away.
(b) For drinking too much water.
(c) For not going before they left.
(d) For relieving herself.
13. Who picks up Claudia from the airport in Chapter 3?
(a) Gordon and Sylvia.
(b) Lisa and Sylvia.
(c) Jasper and Lisa.
(d) Gordon and Lisa.
14. What was a "Matilda?"
(a) A bomb.
(b) A local burger special.
(c) A girl.
(d) A drink.
15. Why does Tom say he stopped reading history?
(a) He tired of it.
(b) Because it's different when you are one of the statistics.
(c) Because he has no time, with the war and all.
(d) There are no libraries on the battlefield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was not invited to Lisa's baptism?
2. Whom does Claudia meet when her Jeep breaks down?
3. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 that Claudia and her brother collected on the beach as children?
4. Why doesn't Lisa tell her mother about her affair?
5. What does the back seat passenger contemplate on the way back from the airport in Chapter 3?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)