|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remains in town, who might or might not keep the secret?
2. What year does the newspaper contest focus on?
3. What is the newspaper contest Abilene comes up with called?
4. What causes the Missouri sheriff to want to double-check the identity of the person being buried?
5. How do people respond to the newspaper contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie Mae convey to Abilene about Gideon?
2. What does Miss Sadie tell Abilene about the Widow Cane property?
3. How does Devlin ask Mrs. Larkin to dinner?
4. How does Abilene discover who her father is in Manifest?
5. What does Ned hope the people in the town are doing, in his letter home?
6. What does the man from the government who comes to Shady's bar do while he's there?
7. What role does Abilene take on at the end of the novel?
8. How does Abilene know how to understand a telegram?
9. Why is Miss Sadie's son not allowed to return to her country with her?
10. On July 15, 1918, what does Abilene go to the cemetery to look for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unknown, fear, and mistrust in the novel.
1) How does fear of the unknown affect the townspeople's views of others from different cultures? How does it affect the townspeople's view of Miss Sadie in both time periods?
2) What causes mistrust in the town? Who does mistrust hurt and benefit?
3) How does Abilene view the unknown? How is her attitude different from others in the town?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss proving yourself to others in the novel.
1) Why does Ned go off to war? Why does he need to prove himself?
2) How do the characters in the town prove themselves to others, so that the town can cooperate?
3) How does Jinx prove himself to others in the town? How does he see himself, compared to how others see him?
Essay Topic 3
All the characters in the novel have secrets. Discuss secrets in "Moon Over Manifest".
1) What motives do characters have for keeping secrets? What significance do secrets have in the novel?
2) What secrets ought to be kept, and what secrets ought to be revealed? What is the distinction?
3) Who uncovers secrets in the novel? Who betrays secrets? Why?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)