|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shady say Jinx did after Ned's death?
2. Who organized the secret meeting to talk about the land Mr. Devlin wants to buy?
3. Who remains in town, who might or might not keep the secret?
4. What do Abilene, Lettie, and Ruthanne plan to use to identify the person who wrote the note they believe is from the Rattler?
5. Who does the government man turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Sadie tell Abilene about the Widow Cane property?
2. On July 15, 1918, what does Abilene go to the cemetery to look for?
3. Why is Miss Sadie's son not allowed to return to her country with her?
4. How does Abilene feel about the growth of Miss Sadie's garden?
5. What does Jinx do when he sees the two sheriffs who are in town?
6. What does the man from the government who comes to Shady's bar do while he's there?
7. How is Miss Sadie's health when Abilene visits her on August 23, 1936?
8. What does Hattie Mae convey to Abilene about Gideon?
9. Where in the classroom do the girls find Stucky's writing?
10. How does Devlin ask Mrs. Larkin to dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss storytelling in the novel.
1) How does storytelling, through Miss Sadie's stories, the "Remember When" entries, or other storytelling, help the characters maintain a relationship with the past?
2) How does storytelling affect or change the memory of the past? How does storytelling selectively change what is remembered and how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss proving yourself to others in the novel.
1) Why does Ned go off to war? Why does he need to prove himself?
2) How do the characters in the town prove themselves to others, so that the town can cooperate?
3) How does Jinx prove himself to others in the town? How does he see himself, compared to how others see him?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in a small town in middle America in two different historical periods. Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) How do the historical time periods of the Great Depression and World War I affect the novel and its characters?
2) How does the location of a small town in rural America affect the novel? Why does the author choose this location?
3) Why does the author set the novel in one location, but in two time periods?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)