|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the government man turn out to be?
2. What word does Abilene look up in the dictionary?
3. What does Abilene offer to do for Miss Sadie's injury?
4. What does Shady give to the man from the government who comes to his bar?
5. How long is Miss Sadie out of the country before she can return to try to reunite with her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miss Sadie's son not allowed to return to her country with her?
2. What happens to Burton after the land auction?
3. What is Ned's job in the military?
4. What does Ned write in his letter about being wounded?
5. What does the man from the government who comes to Shady's bar do while he's there?
6. How does Abilene feel about the growth of Miss Sadie's garden?
7. On July 15, 1918, what does Abilene go to the cemetery to look for?
8. What does Miss Sadie tell Abilene about the Widow Cane property?
9. Why do Abilene and her friends decide to organize another Annual Homecoming Celebration?
10. Where in the classroom do the girls find Stucky's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters in the novel have secrets. Discuss secrets in "Moon Over Manifest".
1) What motives do characters have for keeping secrets? What significance do secrets have in the novel?
2) What secrets ought to be kept, and what secrets ought to be revealed? What is the distinction?
3) Who uncovers secrets in the novel? Who betrays secrets? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in a small town in middle America in two different historical periods. Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) How do the historical time periods of the Great Depression and World War I affect the novel and its characters?
2) How does the location of a small town in rural America affect the novel? Why does the author choose this location?
3) Why does the author set the novel in one location, but in two time periods?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss work in the novel.
1) What creates the desire to work in the novel? What do the characters want to work on, such as Hattie Mae's column or Jinx's fireworks?
2) What is the meaning of work in the novel? How does work give satisfaction as well as money? Does work such as Abilene's work in Miss Sadie's garden have meaning beyond the payment for the work?
3) How does work in the mines compare to other kinds of work characters do in the novel? What significance do the bad working conditions for the miners have?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)