|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abilene gather for Miss Sadie while her friends Lettie and Ruthanne are out of town?
2. Who does Jinx feel is watching him as he prepares for the fair?
3. What is the main message of the telegram Mr. DeVore writes out?
4. What controversial location does Shady suggest for mixing the liquids?
5. What does Abilene do to try to get Miss Sadie to continue telling her stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jinx do when he sees the two sheriffs who are in town?
2. How is Miss Sadie's health when Abilene visits her on August 23, 1936?
3. Where in the classroom do the girls find Stucky's writing?
4. On July 15, 1918, what does Abilene go to the cemetery to look for?
5. In "The Shadow of Death," what does Abilene realize about her compass?
6. How does Abilene know how to understand a telegram?
7. Why is Miss Sadie's son not allowed to return to her country with her?
8. How does Abilene feel about the growth of Miss Sadie's garden?
9. Why do Abilene and her friends decide to organize another Annual Homecoming Celebration?
10. What does Miss Sadie tell Abilene about the Widow Cane property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Objects and mementos play an important role in uncovering and understanding the past. Discuss importance of objects in revealing the past in the novel.
1) Why do characters keep objects from the past? How do objects connect the characters to the past?
2) How do objects serve as clues for Abilene to recover the past and understand it?
3) What are the limitations of objects in revealing and remembering the past?
Essay Topic 2
The novel uses several points of view to tell the story. Discuss the following:
1) Why is the main part of the narrative told in first person from Abilene's point of view?
2) What point of view do the letters and news clippings add to the novel? Why does the author use these?
3) What is the point of view of the stories that Miss Sadie tells? Why does the author use this point of view?
4) How do the different points of view in "Moon Over Manifest" work together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss proving yourself to others in the novel.
1) Why does Ned go off to war? Why does he need to prove himself?
2) How do the characters in the town prove themselves to others, so that the town can cooperate?
3) How does Jinx prove himself to others in the town? How does he see himself, compared to how others see him?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)