|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Ruthanne's uncle hear in the woods one night?
2. When Abilene delivers to Miss Sadie the items she wanted from the woods, what container does Abilene use?
3. What does Ned want to make and sell?
4. Who do Abilene and her friends think left the note they find?
5. Who becomes the first prime suspect to be the "Rattler"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jinx become separated from his uncle?
2. Why do Lance Devlin and Ned fight?
3. What does Shady's Place look like?
4. What do Abilene and her friends find in the woods?
5. What noise does Abilene hear while she and her friends are out hunting?
6. What note do Abilene and her friends find?
7. How are the miners paid?
8. What does the sheriff threaten Shady with?
9. What assignment does the teacher give Abilene to complete over the summer?
10. What do Abilene and her friends think is strange about the way Miss Sadie talks about herself in her stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss guilt in the novel.
1) Where does Jinx's sense of guilt come from? How does it affect him and those around him?
2) What characters feel guilty for the wrongs they do? How do they compare to characters who have no sense of guilt?
3) Is guilt a positive or negative force in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes of the novel is prejudice. Discuss the following:
1) What problems does prejudice cause for the people of the town? What are the causes of the people's prejudice? Who does prejudice help and who does it hurt?
2) How does prejudice affect Ned and Miss Sadie? How does prejudice affect Jinx? How does the town overcome prejudice?
3) How does prejudice affect the town in the 1930s when Abilene arrives?
Essay Topic 3
Community and family are important in this story of both a town and of a father and daughter. Discuss community and family found in "Moon Over Manifest".
1) How is community important to the town of Manifest, to its immigrant populations, and to the other townspeople? How do people define their community?
2) How is family important to the characters, and especially to Abilene?
3) What are the positive and negative aspects of family in the novel? How is family hurtful as well as helpful?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)