|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in Abilene's box lined with newspaper?
2. Who builds Miss Sadie's gate?
3. Why does Shady leave the house, allowing Abilene to sneak over to Miss Sadie's?
4. When Jinx first appears in the story, what is he doing?
5. What does Ned do with his share of the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shady's Place look like?
2. What indication of the KKK's activities do Shady and Jinx see?
3. Why do Lance Devlin and Ned fight?
4. What does the first letter Abilene read talk about?
5. What does Ned do for a living?
6. How does Abilene answer questions about her parents at school?
7. Why does Abilene's father choose Manifest as the place he sends her?
8. What do Abilene and her friends think is strange about the way Miss Sadie talks about herself in her stories?
9. Why does Miss Sadie want Abilene to work around her house?
10. What do Jinx and the boy he made the trade with see while they are hiding in the bushes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ambition and capitalism in the novel.
1) How does Devlin's ambition affect others in the town? How does the novel portray Devlin, as a capitalist?
2) How does Jinx's ambition and desire to make money compare to Devlin? How does Jinx's desire to make money affect others? How does the novel portray Jinx? Is he also a capitalist?
3) What are other characters' ambitions? How does the novel portray those ambitions?
Essay Topic 2
The novel uses several points of view to tell the story. Discuss the following:
1) Why is the main part of the narrative told in first person from Abilene's point of view?
2) What point of view do the letters and news clippings add to the novel? Why does the author use these?
3) What is the point of view of the stories that Miss Sadie tells? Why does the author use this point of view?
4) How do the different points of view in "Moon Over Manifest" work together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss death in the novel.
1) How does death affect Jinx? How does he deal with Ned's death, the death of the stranger who threatens him and his uncle, and the death of the townspeople from influenza?
2) How does the near-deadly illness that Abilene goes through affect her and her father? How does Miss Sadie's approaching death affect Abilene and Miss Sadie?
3) How does death from war and illness affect the town as a whole?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)