|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Abilene have when she travels to Manifest?
2. Where did Jinx live in Manifest?
3. After Abilene becomes frightened, who does she run into?
4. When Abilene visits Miss Sadie on June 13, 1936, what does she ask Miss Sadie about?
5. What prank does Jinx play on the KKK members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abilene think of Miss Sadie's yard?
2. What makes Abilene think that Sister Redempta has been to see Miss Sadie?
3. Why does Miss Sadie want Abilene to work around her house?
4. What is the profession of the person Abilene is going to stay with in Manifest?
5. When does Abilene discover that she has lost an item?
6. How are the miners paid?
7. What is Abilene doing before her friends come by to ask her to come hunting?
8. What do Abilene and her friends think is strange about the way Miss Sadie talks about herself in her stories?
9. What does Ned do for a living?
10. What does the fireworks man show Ned and Jinx?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of the novel is prejudice. Discuss the following:
1) What problems does prejudice cause for the people of the town? What are the causes of the people's prejudice? Who does prejudice help and who does it hurt?
2) How does prejudice affect Ned and Miss Sadie? How does prejudice affect Jinx? How does the town overcome prejudice?
3) How does prejudice affect the town in the 1930s when Abilene arrives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what it means to be an American in the novel.
1) What qualifies someone as an American in the novel? Can immigrants truly be Americans?
2) What meaning does serving in the war have for the characters? Does it make the soldiers more American? Why or why not?
3) How does the Victory Quilt reflect patriotism and identity as an American? What does the rejection of the Hungarian woman's square mean for the town and its definition of who is an American?
Essay Topic 3
Abilene is the central character and narrator of "Moon Over Manifest". Discuss Abilene's character.
1) Why does Abilene believe her father will come for her? What is her relationship with her father like?
2) Why does Abilene want to uncover the past? What motivates her?
3) How is Abilene similar to her father, and how is she different from him?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)