|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abilene use to unlock Miss Sadie's shed?
(a) A lock pick.
(b) A crowbar.
(c) A bobby pin.
(d) A skeleton key.
2. What controversial location does Shady suggest for mixing the liquids?
(a) The fountain in the square.
(b) The bathtub in Devlin's house.
(c) The baptismal font at the church.
(d) The town hall drinking fountain.
3. What disease is spreading through the country in 1918?
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Spanish influenza.
4. What is the newspaper contest Abilene comes up with called?
(a) Once in Manifest.
(b) Remember When.
(c) Out of the Past.
(d) Back in the Day.
5. When Miss Sadie picks up her story of Jinx and Ned on August 11, 1936, what does she begin with?
(a) A horse passing by.
(b) A dog running down the street.
(c) A thunder storm approaching.
(d) A train arriving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the janitor accidentally drop when he hears a noise?
2. What does Shady give to the man from the government who comes to his bar?
3. How does Hattie Mae act when Abilene wants to talk to her about Gideon?
4. What does Ned ask Jinx to do in his letter?
5. What does Abilene say in her telegram to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where in the classroom do the girls find Stucky's writing?
2. In "The Shadow of Death," what does Abilene realize about her compass?
3. What does Ned hope the people in the town are doing, in his letter home?
4. What does Hattie Mae convey to Abilene about Gideon?
5. What does Ned write in his letter about being wounded?
6. What does Miss Sadie tell Abilene about the Widow Cane property?
7. What objection does Abilene make to Miss Sadie's story?
8. What happens to Burton after the land auction?
9. How does Abilene feel about the growth of Miss Sadie's garden?
10. How is Miss Sadie's health when Abilene visits her on August 23, 1936?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)