|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the coffin that Shady, Jinx, and Donal bury filled with?
(c) Miricle elixir.
2. Who brings cake to Shady's Sunday service?
(a) Hatie Mae.
(b) Miss Sadie.
(c) Mrs. Evans.
3. Who talks to Abilene about the embarrassment of foreign names?
(a) The post office clerk.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The barber.
(d) The sheriff.
4. How long is Miss Sadie out of the country before she can return to try to reunite with her son?
(a) Several years.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several weeks.
5. Who are the townspeople trying to get out of town?
(a) Mr. Devlin, Mr. Cooper, and Velma T.
(b) Mr. Cooper, Mr. Burton, and Mr. Underhill.
(c) Sheriff Dean, Miss Sadie, and Mr. Underhill.
(d) Mr. Devlin, Mr. Burton, and Sheriff Dean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does the newspaper contest focus on?
2. Where do Abilene, Lettie, and Ruthanne play on July 3, 1936?
3. Who bids against Burton in the auction?
4. What do medical personnel encourage as a response to the disease?
5. Where does the sheriff say the murderer his brother-in-law is looking for might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What objection does Abilene make to Miss Sadie's story?
2. What are the obstacles to the townspeople buying the property that Devlin wants?
3. How does Devlin ask Mrs. Larkin to dinner?
4. Why do Abilene and her friends decide to organize another Annual Homecoming Celebration?
5. In "The Shadow of Death," what does Abilene realize about her compass?
6. What does Ned write in his letter about being wounded?
7. What does Jinx do when he sees the two sheriffs who are in town?
8. How does Abilene discover who her father is in Manifest?
9. What does Shady do while the liquids are being mixed for Jinx's mixture?
10. What does Ned hope the people in the town are doing, in his letter home?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)