|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where on Miss Sadie's property does Abilene try to go to find a pot?
(a) A cellar.
(b) A closet.
(c) A shed.
(d) A cistern.
2. What does Abilene find in Miss Sadie's death?
(a) Letters from Gideon.
(b) Photographs from Shady's past.
(c) Mementos from Ned's childhood.
(d) Documents from Miss Sadie's mariage.
3. What is the prize for the newspaper contest?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
4. Where does the sheriff say the murderer his brother-in-law is looking for might be?
(a) Camping in the woods.
(b) Hiding in the schoolyard.
(c) Living in the mines.
(d) Hiding in someone's home.
5. What is the janitor doing, when the girls see him at the school?
(a) Washing the windows.
(b) Waxing the floors.
(c) Cleaning the walls.
(d) Dusting the offices.
6. What does Gideon say about the letters Abilene gives him?
(a) He doesn't want to read them or see them.
(b) He wants to read through them once before returning them.
(c) He wants to read them and keep them.
(d) He wants to destroy them so no one can read them.
7. Who does Jinx feel is watching him as he prepares for the fair?
(a) The sheriff.
(d) Mr. Devlin.
8. What sound startles Uncle Finn, causing him to stumble?
(a) A bell.
(b) A howling.
(c) A rattle.
9. Whose box does Mr. DeVore put a note in at the post office?
(a) Sheriff Dean.
(b) Miss Sadie.
(c) Sister Redempta.
(d) Velma T.
10. What year does the newspaper contest focus on?
11. Does Sheriff Dean lie to the Missouri sheriff?
(a) Yes, because he believes the sheriff is overstepping his bounds.
(b) No, he tells the truth.
(c) No, he refuses to say anything.
(d) Yes, because he is trying to steal from the sheriff.
12. What causes the Missouri sheriff to want to double-check the identity of the person being buried?
(a) The attitude of the mourners.
(b) The clothes on the body.
(c) The weight of the coffin.
(d) The name on the headstone.
13. What does Ned ask Jinx to do in his letter?
(a) Send him a cloth handkerchief.
(b) Send him a dried flower.
(c) Take his lure and go fishing.
(d) Take a girl and go to the lake.
14. Whose entry in the newspaper contest is the one Abilene and her friends are looking for?
(a) Mrs. Larkin's.
(b) Miss Sadie's.
(c) Mr. Underhill's.
(d) Sherif Dean's.
15. What does Abilene gather for Miss Sadie while her friends Lettie and Ruthanne are out of town?
(d) Pine cones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings the news that Ned has died?
2. What word does Abilene look up in the dictionary?
3. What tragedy struck the town soon after Ned's death?
4. What do Abilene, Lettie, and Ruthanne plan to use to identify the person who wrote the note they believe is from the Rattler?
5. Why do the townspeople want the same land Devlin want?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)