|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jinx feel is watching him as he prepares for the fair?
(a) Mr. Devlin.
(c) The sheriff.
2. Who does Abilene tell, when she thinks she's identified the Rattler?
(b) Miss Sadie.
(c) No one.
(d) The sheriff.
3. What does the janitor accidentally drop when he hears a noise?
(a) His broom.
(b) His hat.
(c) His cigar.
(d) His knife.
4. What does Abilene do to try to get Miss Sadie to continue telling her stories?
(a) Abilene predicts ridiculous things that might happen.
(b) Abilene pretends not to care about the story.
(c) Abilene begs Miss Sadie to continue telling the story.
(d) Abilene pretends to remember the story wrong.
5. What is the janitor doing, when the girls see him at the school?
(a) Cleaning the walls.
(b) Waxing the floors.
(c) Dusting the offices.
(d) Washing the windows.
6. Whose entry in the newspaper contest is the one Abilene and her friends are looking for?
(a) Miss Sadie's.
(b) Mr. Underhill's.
(c) Sherif Dean's.
(d) Mrs. Larkin's.
7. What does everyone in Manifest pretend?
(a) They pretend to be sick.
(b) They pretend there is a fire.
(c) They pretend there is an accident out of town.
(d) They pretend an important person is coming to the nearby city.
8. What did Stucky Cybulskis write in the senior classroom?
(a) A thesis statement.
(b) A quotation.
(c) A joke.
(d) A poem.
9. What year does the newspaper contest focus on?
10. What do medical personnel encourage as a response to the disease?
(a) Wearing face masks.
(b) Cleaning with alcohol.
(d) Hand washing.
11. Does Sheriff Dean lie to the Missouri sheriff?
(a) Yes, because he believes the sheriff is overstepping his bounds.
(b) No, he refuses to say anything.
(c) No, he tells the truth.
(d) Yes, because he is trying to steal from the sheriff.
12. What forced Miss Sadie to return home after she first tried to come to America?
(a) An emergency with her parents.
(b) A problem with her paperwork.
(c) Lack of money for a bribe.
(d) An eye infection.
13. When Miss Sadie picks up her story of Jinx and Ned on August 11, 1936, what does she begin with?
(a) A horse passing by.
(b) A train arriving.
(c) A dog running down the street.
(d) A thunder storm approaching.
14. As the girls play together on July 3, 1936, what suspect does Ruthanne suggest might be the Rattler?
(a) Mrs. Larkin.
(b) Mr. Cooper.
(c) Mr. Burton.
(d) Mr. Devlin.
15. Where does Shady pretend to be hiding liquor?
(a) Under a floorboard.
(b) In a mine.
(c) In a grave.
(d) In a tree stump.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abilene offer to do for Miss Sadie's injury?
2. Who talks to Abilene about the embarrassment of foreign names?
3. Who arrives in town along with Devlin and Burton when they return?
4. What disease is spreading through the country in 1918?
5. What does Abilene say in her telegram to her father?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)