|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the townspeople want the same land Devlin want?
(a) They want to start their own competing mine.
(b) They want leverage to get Devlin to treat workers better.
(c) They want to build a place for workers to live and grow food.
(d) They want to drive Devlin out of business.
2. What is the prize for the newspaper contest?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Fifteen dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
3. What does Shady say Jinx did after Ned's death?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He locked himself in a shed.
(c) He cried for a week.
(d) He lost interest in life.
4. On July 3, 1936, what chores does Abilene do at Miss Sadie's house?
(a) She cleans out the gutter and rakes the lawn.
(b) She carries water and pulls weeds.
(c) She cleans rugs and washes jars.
(d) She sweeps, mops, and dusts the house.
5. What year does the newspaper contest focus on?
6. What does the janitor accidentally drop when he hears a noise?
(a) His broom.
(b) His hat.
(c) His cigar.
(d) His knife.
7. What controversial location does Shady suggest for mixing the liquids?
(a) The bathtub in Devlin's house.
(b) The baptismal font at the church.
(c) The fountain in the square.
(d) The town hall drinking fountain.
8. What does Shady give to the man from the government who comes to his bar?
(a) A glass of liquor.
(b) A glass of water.
9. What mood is Abilene in after talking with Hattie Mae?
(a) A sad mood.
(b) A happy mood.
(c) A sleepy mood.
(d) A bad mood.
10. Where does the sheriff say the murderer his brother-in-law is looking for might be?
(a) Hiding in someone's home.
(b) Hiding in the schoolyard.
(c) Camping in the woods.
(d) Living in the mines.
11. Who does Abilene tell, when she thinks she's identified the Rattler?
(a) No one.
(b) Miss Sadie.
(c) The sheriff.
12. Where are the graves of those who died in the tragedy that struck the town after Ned's death?
(a) On the lot behind Miss Sadie's.
(b) Near the now-abandoned mine.
(c) In a yard next to the burned-out church.
(d) In a meadow with an ancient oak tree.
13. Where on Miss Sadie's property does Abilene try to go to find a pot?
(a) A cistern.
(b) A closet.
(c) A shed.
(d) A cellar.
14. What is the coffin that Shady, Jinx, and Donal bury filled with?
(a) Miricle elixir.
15. Whose box does Mr. DeVore put a note in at the post office?
(a) Velma T.
(b) Sheriff Dean.
(c) Sister Redempta.
(d) Miss Sadie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Jinx and Shady headed when they run into the sheriff on September 1, 1918?
2. Where is the hidden compartment where Shady hides Jinx?
3. Who brings cake to Shady's Sunday service?
4. How do the girls get into the school to search for Stucky's writing?
5. What does Abilene do to try to get Miss Sadie to continue telling her stories?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)