|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone in Manifest pretend?
(a) They pretend there is a fire.
(b) They pretend to be sick.
(c) They pretend an important person is coming to the nearby city.
(d) They pretend there is an accident out of town.
2. What mood is Abilene in after talking with Hattie Mae?
(a) A sleepy mood.
(b) A bad mood.
(c) A happy mood.
(d) A sad mood.
3. Who realizes the truth about Miss Sadie's relationship with Ned?
(a) No one.
(b) Sister Redempta.
(c) Mr. Underhill.
4. What weapon does Uncle Finn use to threaten Jinx?
(a) A gun.
(b) A club.
(c) A knife.
(d) A bottle.
5. What sound startles Uncle Finn, causing him to stumble?
(a) A bell.
(c) A rattle.
(d) A howling.
6. What does Abilene say in her telegram to her father?
(a) That she is planning to kill herself.
(b) That she is running away.
(c) That she is joining the military.
(d) That she is ill and dying.
7. Who talks to Abilene about the embarrassment of foreign names?
(a) The barber.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) The post office clerk.
(d) The butcher.
8. Where are Jinx and Shady headed when they run into the sheriff on September 1, 1918?
(a) Devlin's mines.
(b) The post office.
(c) Widow Cane's property.
(d) Shady's place.
9. Why do the townspeople want the same land Devlin want?
(a) They want leverage to get Devlin to treat workers better.
(b) They want to build a place for workers to live and grow food.
(c) They want to start their own competing mine.
(d) They want to drive Devlin out of business.
10. How long is Miss Sadie out of the country before she can return to try to reunite with her son?
(a) Several months.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several years.
11. What tragedy struck the town soon after Ned's death?
(a) A destructive tornado.
(b) A cave-in at the mine.
(c) A destructive fire.
(d) An outbreak of illness.
12. When Miss Sadie picks up her story of Jinx and Ned on August 11, 1936, what does she begin with?
(a) A dog running down the street.
(b) A horse passing by.
(c) A thunder storm approaching.
(d) A train arriving.
13. What attainment did Mrs. Evans' daughter achieve in 1918?
(a) Prom queen.
(b) School newspaper editor-in-chief.
(c) Senior class president.
(d) Girls baseball MVP.
14. Whose box does Mr. DeVore put a note in at the post office?
(a) Sheriff Dean.
(b) Sister Redempta.
(c) Miss Sadie.
(d) Velma T.
15. What does the janitor accidentally drop when he hears a noise?
(a) His cigar.
(b) His knife.
(c) His hat.
(d) His broom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Abilene look up in the dictionary?
2. Who bids against Burton in the auction?
3. What does Shady give to the man from the government who comes to his bar?
4. What is mixed with the liquor the sheriff takes from Shady?
5. As the girls play together on July 3, 1936, what suspect does Ruthanne suggest might be the Rattler?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)