|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Sadie wish Mrs. Larkin's life will be as long as?
(a) The hem of her dress.
(b) The hair on her chin.
(c) The smoke from her chimney.
(d) The reach of her tongue.
2. What does the sheriff come to get from Shady?
(d) Beef jerky.
3. Who interrupts Abilene while she is reading the letters she's found?
(a) Sister Redempta and a boy from school.
(b) Two girls from school.
(c) Miss Sadie and Shady.
(d) Shady and Hattie Mae.
4. What sound does Ruthanne's uncle hear in the woods one night?
(a) A banging sound.
(b) A booming sound.
(c) A ringing sound.
(d) A rattling sound.
5. Does Abilene recover her lost item?
(a) Yes, she gets it and leaves without being seen.
(b) No, she runs away without recovering it.
(c) No, she keeps trying but can't retrieve it.
(d) Yes, but someone sees her retrieving it.
6. How did Ned get to Manifest?
(a) On an orphan train.
(b) With a family passing through.
(c) On foot, alone.
(d) With a group of itinerant workers.
7. Where is the notice "Perdition"?
(a) On a post behind the gate.
(b) Sideways along the gate.
(c) On a sign that's fallen to the ground.
(d) Across the top of the gate.
8. How well-made is Miss Sadie's gate?
(a) Not very well made, but sturdy enough to stand.
(b) So badly made that it falls down immediately.
(c) Very well made, so that teh builder gets many other jobs.
(d) Well made, but not as well made as the builder's next gate.
9. Why doesn't Abilene look at what she found the previous evening before leaving for school?
(a) Her mind is on other things.
(b) She doesn't want to draw attention to what she's found.
(c) She doesn't have time.
(d) She's forgotten about it.
10. What happened to Shady's former church?
(a) It was repossessed.
(b) It burned down.
(c) It fell down.
(d) It had to be sold.
11. Who builds Miss Sadie's gate?
(d) Mr. Underhill.
12. What does Abilene ask Miss Sadie about?
(a) Her father.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Rattler.
13. What grade does the teacher give Abilene?
(a) An incomplete.
(c) An A.
14. What does Jinx say happened to his mother?
(a) She disappeared without explanation.
(b) She ran off to become an actress.
(c) She became ill.
(d) She went away to an art school.
15. What does Jinx do with his share of the money?
(a) He gives the money to Shady.
(b) He buys the Victory Quilt.
(c) He buys a gun.
(d) He buys a new bell for the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Abilene have when she travels to Manifest?
2. What does Abilene walk toward after leaving the train?
3. Where is Miss Sadie injured?
4. What does Abilene find, as the girls start their hunt?
5. Who becomes the first prime suspect to be the "Rattler"?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)