|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abilene react to the interruption?
(a) She at first tries to get the interrupters to go away.
(b) She runs off.
(c) She immediately invites the interrupters to see what she has.
(d) She hides her things and immediately greets the interrupters.
2. What food does Ned buy at the fair?
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) Ice cream.
(d) Funnel cake.
3. What nationality is the woman who's square for the Victory Quilt is rejected?
4. Does Abilene recover her lost item?
(a) Yes, she gets it and leaves without being seen.
(b) No, she runs away without recovering it.
(c) Yes, but someone sees her retrieving it.
(d) No, she keeps trying but can't retrieve it.
5. What does the sheriff do with Jinx's catfish?
(a) He throws it out.
(b) He drops it.
(c) He steals it.
(d) He takes a picture of it.
6. What is used to make the gate Abilene sees?
(a) Forks, kettles, and other household metal goods.
(b) Sticks and twigs tied together.
(c) Orange crates.
(d) Chains and ropes.
7. What has happened to Billy Claton's mother?
(a) She has fainted.
(b) She has gotten pneumonia.
(c) She has had a baby.
(d) She has injured her leg.
8. Who refuses the immigrant woman's quilt square?
(a) Sister Redempta.
(b) Miss Sadie.
(c) Mrs. Larkin.
(d) Mrs. Clayton.
9. What does Miss Sadie send Abilene to get for her?
(b) A dustpan.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) Her glasses.
10. What kind of sandwiches do the girls eat while they are out searching?
(a) Tuna fish.
(d) Peanut butter.
11. How much money does Abilene have when she travels to Manifest?
(a) Two pennies.
(b) Two quarters.
(c) Two nickels.
(d) Two dimes.
12. What is Jinx doing when the boy returns?
(a) Building a lean-to by the river.
(b) Sleeping by the river.
(c) Fishing in the river.
(d) Bathing in the river.
13. What prank does Jinx play on the KKK members?
(a) He puts itching powder in their robes.
(b) He puts sugar in their gas tanks.
(c) He puts hot pepper in their food.
(d) He replaces their toilet paper with poison ivy.
14. What ride does Ned want to go on with Pearl Ann?
(a) The tilt-a-whirl.
(b) The carousel.
(c) The swing ride.
(d) The ferris wheel.
15. How did Ned get to Manifest?
(a) On foot, alone.
(b) With a family passing through.
(c) On an orphan train.
(d) With a group of itinerant workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Abilene find her lost item?
2. What does Ned find out, when he goes to pick up his pay?
3. How does Abilene hope to avoid going to Miss Sadie's again?
4. Who interrupts Abilene while she is reading the letters she's found?
5. Who does Abilene learn lives behind the gate that Abilene noticed earlier?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)