|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants Katya to marry him?
2. What does Natalya like about Shpigelski?
(a) His physique.
(b) His sharp wit.
(c) His upbringing.
(d) His appreciation for fine food.
3. What is Shpigelski going to receive in return for matchmaking?
4. How did Beliayev translate "quatre-vingt-dix"?
(a) "To be or not to be."
5. According to Shpigelski, what is the "main thing in marriage"?
(b) "A solid character."
(c) "Polite tolerance."
6. Which two types of tree does Rakitin compare in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Hickory and willow.
(b) Oak and birch.
(c) Apple and pear.
(d) Oak and maple.
7. How far is it from Bolshintsov's village to Natalya's house?
(a) 20 miles.
(b) 200 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 400 yards.
8. What is one of Shpigelski's vices?
9. In Act 2, Part 1, who reports having burst into tears unexpectedly?
10. According to Rakitin, which character is "simply an idiot"?
11. Who initially brings up the possibility of Vera getting married?
12. Which character does Rakitin love?
13. Who is searching for a tutor in Moscow for Kolya?
(b) The czar.
(c) The princess.
14. Whom does Natalya suddenly remember at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
15. Rakitin states that he is "like wax in your hands" to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vera suggest that Beliayev call her?
2. What does Natalya like most about the character with whom she is infatuated?
3. According to Shpigelski, what is bothering Natalya in addition to her nerves?
4. Which character claims to be a "practical sort of person"?
5. Whom does Natalya call "Mr. Detective"?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)