|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rakitin in Act 1, Part 1, where did he see Islayev earlier in the day?
(a) In the library.
(b) At the dam.
(d) In the kitchen.
2. How much money does the loser owe the winner of the game in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) 150 kopecks.
(b) 40 kopecks.
(c) 70 kopecks.
(d) 20 kopecks.
3. How long has Beliayev lived in Natalya's household?
(a) Five months.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Two months.
4. Which character does Rakitin love?
5. According to Islayev, who "lacks [...] love for his job"?
(a) The Russian peasant.
(b) The German peasant.
(c) The American chimney sweep.
6. What did Natalya's father call her?
(a) "The daughter of Athena."
(b) "Florence Nightingale."
(c) "Russia's Aphrodite."
(d) "His Antigone."
7. Who wins the game definitively in Act 1, Part 2?
8. How did Beliayev translate "quatre-vingt-dix"?
(d) "To be or not to be."
9. Who wins most of the hands of the game in Act 1, Part 1?
10. In Act 3, Part 1, whose help does Shpigelski solicit in matching Bolshintsov and Vera?
11. What type of weather does Rakitin mention in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(b) A hurricane.
12. Which character does Shpigelski call grandmother?
13. Which characters see Vera and Beliayev in the garden together in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Katya and Matvey.
(b) Natalya and Islayev.
(c) Natalya and Rakitin.
(d) Schaaf and Anna.
14. Which name below is the name of one of the suitors in Shpigelski's story in Act 1, Part 2?
15. What friend has been writing to Vera, hoping that she'll write back?
(b) Liza Moshnin.
(c) Anya Verenitsin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially brings up the possibility of Vera getting married?
2. Who is going to teach Kolya to swim?
3. Whom does Rakitin call "our unspoiled youth" in his soliloquy in Act 2, Part 2?
4. As Natalya states in Act 2, Part 2, "there's nothing more depressing than gloomy" what?
5. What does Natalya primarily want for Kolya?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)