|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Willa see at Ben's house?
2. What does Willa do at the cemetery?
3. What is happening to Willa despite her not wanting it?
4. About what does Lily worry?
5. Why does Tess decide to give Nate his Christmas present early?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the killer do after the New Year's Eve party?
2. What do Willa and Ben find the day after the funeral, how do they find it, and what do they do about it?
3. What do Ben, Tess and Lily discuss over soup, and what does Ben point out in their discussion?
4. What does Adam tell Willa about a deer in the woods and what does Willa do about it?
5. Where does Tess go after the funeral, who is her mother, and what is her mother like? Why did her mother marry her father?
6. With whom is Tess speaking on the phone at the wake, what does she tell the person, and what is Tess's intent concerning after the funeral?
7. What did Lily consider the trip to Mercy Ranch to be and how do her and Adam handle her revelations?
8. Whose funeral is happening in the beginning of the book, what kind of a person was he and how does his daughter feel about the people at the wake?
9. With what is Willa have trouble with the ranch hands, who takes offense at her, and what does he do about it?
10. With whom does Willa meet to make sure she is adhering to the rules of the will, what does Willa tell them, and what do they think about her ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Montana Sky.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Montana Sky. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Montana Sky. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Montana Sky is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Montana Sky and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Montana Sky is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)