|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one reason Jesse Cooke does not want to let Lily go?
(a) She knows of his illegal activities.
(b) She will inherit a part of Mercy Ranch.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is beautiful.
2. What has Lily discovered?
(a) Her mother's unconscious body.
(b) The tailess body of a cat.
(c) Two live rattlesnakes in the kitchen.
(d) The headless body of a cat.
3. What will happen if any of the Mercy sisters leave the ranch before one year?
(a) The ranch goes to whoever is left by the end of the year.
(b) The ranch goes to Willa.
(c) The ranch goes to the Blackfeet nation.
(d) The ranch goes to the Nature Conservancy.
4. What does Willa insist upon doing herself?
(a) Riding the fence line.
(b) Branding the new calves.
(c) Tracking the killer.
(d) Burning the slaughtered animals.
5. Why does Willa feel guilty?
(a) She is so mean to Ben who just wants to help.
(b) She is short with Tess.
(c) She makes Lily cry.
(d) She sent Pickles out to ride the fence line.
6. Why do Tess, Lily and Adam ride out into the snow?
(a) To look for one of the ranch hands who is missing.
(b) To clear a path.
(c) To take pictures.
(d) To check on the younger cattle.
7. What do Tess and Lily decide to do?
(a) Learn to ride a horse better.
(b) Leave the ranch.
(c) Learn karate.
(d) Learn to shoot a gun.
8. What does Willa realize after her sisters inform her that they are staying?
(a) That her sisters have manipulated her.
(b) That her sisters are behind the problems on the ranch.
(c) How close she came to losing the ranch.
(d) That she loves her sisters.
9. What is Ben wanting of Willa?
(a) To sell the ranch to him.
(b) To marry him.
(c) Nothing at the moment.
(d) To become involved with him sexually.
10. What is Pickles thinking about as he rides the fence line?
(a) His future options.
(b) His retirement nest egg.
(c) A vacation.
(d) His deceased wife.
11. What does the man with the bloody knife say?
(a) That the cow was diseased.
(b) That the steer tried to attack him.
(c) That he has never killed a man before.
(d) That it's a good day to die.
12. What does Louella receive when she and Jack divorce?
(a) Quarter interest in the ranch.
(b) Custody of Tess and money.
(c) Custody of Tess but not money.
(d) Money only.
13. What does Jesse say to the Mercy farmhands?
(a) That they should no have to have a woman boss.
(b) That he is going to be running Mercy ranch someday.
(c) That his wife will someday own Mercy ranch.
(d) That Mercy ranch is going to suffer hell for having a female running it.
14. Of what does Nate remind Tess about Willa?
(a) That Willa will lose 2/3 of the ranch to her sisters.
(b) That Willa was raised by cow hands rather than a mother.
(c) That Willa is Jack Mercy's favorite daughter.
(d) That Willa is very much younger than her sisters.
15. Who reassures Lily about her safety?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jesse's abuse of Lily begin?
2. What does Willa do at the cemetery?
3. What does Jesse feel after he murders again?
4. Who does Ben want to have the ranch?
5. Who is the funeral for in chapter one?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)