|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Willa cause to leave the bunkhouse?
2. Why is Adam angry?
(a) That Lily is not safe.
(b) That someone is killing animals for no reason.
(c) That the police are suspicious of one of them.
(d) That the police are not doing more.
3. What do Adam and Lily find in the barn?
(a) Slaughtered horses.
(b) Slaughtered chickens.
(c) Slaughtered horses and calves.
(d) Slaughtered calves.
4. How does the stranger feel as he relives his encounter with Pickles?
(b) Confused as if he did not really do anything.
5. What does Ham say Willa is doing?
(a) Ignoring a good man.
(b) Throwing herself at Ben a little too much.
(c) Getting a little soft.
(d) Taking over his job.
6. Why does Willa feel guilty?
(a) She makes Lily cry.
(b) She sent Pickles out to ride the fence line.
(c) She is so mean to Ben who just wants to help.
(d) She is short with Tess.
7. What does the man with the bloody knife say?
(a) That the steer tried to attack him.
(b) That he has never killed a man before.
(c) That it's a good day to die.
(d) That the cow was diseased.
8. Who knocks on Willa's vehicle window?
9. Why are the ranch hands bickering?
(a) They haven't been paid in weeks.
(b) They lost at cards to JC.
(c) They don't like their assignments.
(d) They don't want Ben telling them what to do.
10. Of what does Nate remind Tess about Willa?
(a) That Willa will lose 2/3 of the ranch to her sisters.
(b) That Willa was raised by cow hands rather than a mother.
(c) That Willa is Jack Mercy's favorite daughter.
(d) That Willa is very much younger than her sisters.
11. What does Adam tell Lily that Tess is planning?
(a) An announcement.
(b) A short trip to her home to check on her house.
(c) A party.
(d) He is not sure what she is planning.
12. Why is Willa unhappy upon returning to the ranch house at the end of the day?
(a) That Tess has not returned from Los Angeles.
(b) That Ben McKinnon arrives at the ranch.
(c) That Lily's husband has taken the last guest room.
(d) That her mother will not stay any longer at the ranch.
13. What do Lily and Adam discuss briefly?
(a) How many cows to breed the next spring.
(b) Lily's estranged husband.
(c) The number of acres to keep fallow the next year.
(d) Whether the bunkhouse needs work.
14. Who do Nate and Ben go to find?
15. About what does Willa wonder?
(a) Why Tess has to see her mother in person.
(b) Why Lily was in the barn.
(c) Why Ben is underfoot so much.
(d) Her sorrow at the incident that Lily discovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is happy to see the pie Willa brings from Bess?
2. Where does Ben kiss Willa?
3. What does Jesse feel after he murders again?
4. Where does Sarah say she is going to visit?
5. What does Louella wonder about Tess being on the ranch?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)