|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wesley ask David to do concerning Gail?
(a) To go to the courthouse and get his mother.
(b) To write his mother a note and tell her he's staying with George that night.
(c) To not say anything to his mother and let Wesley do it.
(d) To wait until Gail gets home before asking any questions.
2. Who runs for Sheriff of Mercer County?
3. What does Len suggest for Wesley to do?
(a) Have Gail and David stay somewhere else.
(b) Arrest the men in the pick-up.
(c) Call Julian.
(d) Move Frank.
4. What does David say he does not understand about his father's actions?
(a) Why his father seems so upset and yet won't let Frank go.
(b) Why his father won't talk to his grandparents anymore.
(c) Why his father is pursuing the case.
(d) Why his father goes down and talks for hours with Frank every night.
5. What does David say his family planned to attend?
(a) Marie's funeral.
(b) The county fair.
(c) The new Baptist church.
(d) Frank's trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian order Wesley to do?
2. Where does Wesley decide to keep Frank?
3. Why is David inside his home when Frank arrives on Thursday?
4. What did David think would happen eventually after Frank's death?
5. For whom does David cry that night in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom has Wesley talked about the situation concerning Frank? What did he not tell the person?
2. What happens to Wesley?
3. Why does David decline to visit Brentrock later in his life?
4. What changes David's view about the aftermath of Frank's suicide?
5. What does David say about his life in North Dakota?
6. When does David say the family decides to leaves Montana?
7. What does David say about the symbolism of the open grave?
8. What reason does Wesley give for withdrawing from the Sheriff's election?
9. What does Enid hear that causes her to start crying?
10. What was the overriding reason for the move to North Dakota?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)