|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David say when he intervenes in Gail's questioning of Marie?
(a) Marie has already given him the answers to Gail’s questions.
(b) Gail should be more gentle.
(c) Gail is being nosy.
(d) Marie is too ill to talk.
2. How does David feel when he visits his grandparents' farm?
(a) He greatly enjoys it.
(b) He does not like the way his grandfather yells at him.
(c) He gets bored.
(d) He thinks it's hard work when he goes there.
3. What reservation section does the county include?
(a) Black Rock Indian Reservation.
(b) Fort Warren Indian Reservation.
(c) Fort Laramie Indian Reservation.
4. What is part of the reason Wesley became a sheriff?
(a) He could not pass the bar exam.
(b) No other jobs were available.
(c) No one else would do it.
(d) Family tradition.
5. What does Wesley do as Gail and David go inside David's grandparents' home?
(a) Pumps water from the well.
(b) Stays in the car.
(c) Chases the dog.
(d) Stays on the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gail think is David's real problem?
2. What did Julian hope Gloria would do?
3. What keeps Wesley from serving in the military?
4. What does Gail think when she checks in on Marie after getting home?
5. Why does David love Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Wesley and Julian first talk about instead of Frank's problems with the law?
2. What does David say his mother worries about concerning him?
3. Why is it difficult for David to enjoy his outings at the bowling alley?
4. Why do Wesley and Frank believe Marie wants Gail in the room when Frank examines Marie?
5. Who is David Hayden? Where does he live when the novel opens?
6. Who is Marie's boyfriend?
7. How did Wesley come to be the Sheriff of Mercer County?
8. What does David want to ask his mother when the two are sent outside, and why does he not do so?
9. What does David hear Marie doing one day? What makes David fearful for Marie?
10. What does David recall about when he was ill and staying with Frank and Gloria?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)