• Montana 1948 is set in Brentrock, Montana, in the year 1948. Mercer County is a rural area that includes a section of the Fort Warren Indian Reservation.
• The narrator of the story is 12 year old David Hayden whose father, Wesley Hayden, is the Sheriff of Mercer County.
• Sheriff Hayden seldom carries his gun because most disputes are minor.
• Gail Hayden is the wife of Sheriff Hayden and the mother of David. She would prefer to live in northern Montana. She also wishes that her husband, who has a law degree and is a member of the bar, would practice law.
• Sheriff Hayden's father, Julian Hayden, was the previous Sheriff of Mercer County. He asked his son to take over for him when he retired.
• David says his mother worries that he wants to grow up wild. David enjoys the time he spends at his grandparents’ farm where he can...
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)