Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the prisoners have for breakfast on Sunday, July 12th?
2. What object did Bobo bring to Moore?
3. Which lawyer requests a sidebar when Bobo enters the courtroom to testify?
4. What does O'Brien say she has to find a way to do in the eyes of the jury, now that Bobo has testified?
5. In his journal after the jury has begun deliberating, what kind of instruments does Steve say he is going to put in the background of the movie?
Using specific textual examples, describe and contextualize the way Walter Dean Myers uses the word "monster" in this book. Be sure to consider how the author means it literally as well as metaphorically or symbolically, and be sure to discuss to which character(s) this word applies.
A major theme of this book is identity, particularly how Steve's identity is constructed or maintained. Write an analytical essay considering the ways in which Walter Dean Myers makes identity a theme. What are the symbolic or linguistic strategies Myers has employed to communicate and investigate Steve's identity? Be sure to offer a descriptive analysis of Steve's identity and identity crisis, using specific examples.
The fact that Steve is African American plays an important role in the way his court case seems to go, as well as in the way he feels about himself. Describe and analyze the role that race plays in this narrative. You may want to include examples from other characters, white and black, to make your case.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)