|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the object Bobo gave Moore the day he came to visit her?
2. How many guys go to the church service on Sunday, July 12th?
3. How does Steve describe the look on his mother's face during the judge's instructions to the jury Friday Afternoon, July 17?
4. When Steve's parents come to visit on Sunday, July 12th, what do they bring news of?
5. How does the screenplay describe the last image of Steve just after his verdict is read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did King visit Ms. Moore on the day of the crime?
2. What is Briggs' objection to what Bobo is wearing when he testifies?
3. Describe the type of music Steve writes in his journal on July 17th that he is going to put on the soundtrack of his film.
4. Why is Ms. Moore not at work the day King came to see her?
5. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
6. What do the prisoners eat for breakfast on Sunday, July 12?
7. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
8. What does Steve realize about why there are so many fights in prison after church on Sunday, July 12?
9. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
10. How is the visual image of the courtroom just before Steve's verdict is read represented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life in prison is a big adjustment for Steve, and has a major impact on the way he feels about himself. Describe the details of prison life that most affect Steve, including specific examples from the text. You should include information and analysis on how prison changes Steve and/or does not change him.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific textual examples, describe and contextualize the way Walter Dean Myers uses the word "monster" in this book. Be sure to consider how the author means it literally as well as metaphorically or symbolically, and be sure to discuss to which character(s) this word applies.
Essay Topic 3
Walter Dean Myers uses film and a screenplay format not only as a narrative mode, but also as a metaphor and symbol in Steve's life. In an analytical essay explaining how film works literally as well as symbolically in this novel, describe the ways in which "film" plays an important role in Steve's life. What are some of the things that characterize the role film plays?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)