Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the prisoners have for breakfast on Sunday, July 12th?
2. What object did Bobo bring to Moore?
3. Which lawyer requests a sidebar when Bobo enters the courtroom to testify?
4. What does O'Brien say she has to find a way to do in the eyes of the jury, now that Bobo has testified?
5. In his journal after the jury has begun deliberating, what kind of instruments does Steve say he is going to put in the background of the movie?
Using specific textual examples, describe and contextualize the way Walter Dean Myers uses the word "monster" in this book. Be sure to consider how the author means it literally as well as metaphorically or symbolically, and be sure to discuss to which character(s) this word applies.
The fact that Steve is African American plays an important role in the way his court case seems to go, as well as in the way he feels about himself. Describe and analyze the role that race plays in this narrative. You may want to include examples from other characters, white and black, to make your case.
One major theme of this novel is teenage violence. Explain the role violence between teenagers and violence perpetrated by teenagers plays in the plot and characterization of this novel, and describe the ways in which Walter Dean Myers explores this theme. Be sure to indicate what you think Myers is trying to communicate to the reader about teenage violence, using specific textual examples.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)