|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Bobo bring to Moore?
2. On July 17, what kind of decision does Petrocelli say Steve has made?
3. Why does Moore say she was not working the day Bobo came to see her?
4. What time do visiting hours start on Sundays?
5. What is the mood of Steve's parents when they come to visit him on Sunday, July 12th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ms. Moore not at work the day King came to see her?
2. What has O'Brien asked Steve to do when his response is to write down Mr. Sawicki's name twice?
3. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
4. How does the medical examiner say Mr. Nesbitt died?
5. What does Henry mean in the pretrial questioning when she says she is having trouble testifying that King was involved in the crime?
6. What is the visitors' room like?
7. Once each lawyer has rested her case, Steve writes in his journal on Friday, July 17 that it's understandable why other prisoners are obsessed with appeals. What does he realize about their obsession?
8. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
9. What does O'Brien say about Petrocelli's bringing the crime scene photos out again just before the long weekend recess?
10. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a persuasive and analytical essay, describe the format of this novel. First, describe the various format(s) Myers uses in this novel. Second, decide whether or not you think one kind of format used in this novel is more effective than the other in communicating the major fictional elements: setting, characterization, imagery, symbolism, plot, action, etc. Be sure to write an essay with a strong argument about the effectiveness of the various format(s) you have described in the first part of the question.
Essay Topic 2
Steve and King are very different people on trial for the same crime. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these two characters. Be sure to include both examples and details of what they look like, who they are, how they behave, etc., as well as an analysis of the strategies Walter Dean Myers employed to achieve these two different characters.
Essay Topic 3
The narrative style of this novel is rather unique. Write an analytical essay that describes and analyzes the particular method Walter Dean Myers uses in Steve's journal entries to establish and communicate this point-of-view. In addition, what are the narrative benefits of such a point-of-view? How do these journal entries most effectively tell those parts of the story?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)