|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Steve's verdict communicated visually to the reader?
2. How is King's verdict communicated to the reader?
3. Who does Steve attempt to hug when he hears his verdict?
4. When Steve's parents come to visit on Sunday, July 12th, what do they bring news of?
5. How does the screenplay describe the last image of Steve just after his verdict is read?
Short Essay Questions
1. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
2. Why is Ms. Moore not at work the day King came to see her?
3. Who owns thel gun used in the crime, and is it a legal gun?
4. What does Steve realize about why there are so many fights in prison after church on Sunday, July 12?
5. Why was Lorelle Henry in the pharmacy?
6. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
7. What do the prisoners eat for breakfast on Sunday, July 12?
8. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
9. What is Sunset's verdict and sentence?
10. What happens when Steve is made to mop the floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed essay explaining the long-term effects Steve's experience in prison will have on him, based on the end of the the novel. Be sure to include not only how Steve has changed--and how these changes will affect him--but also how his experience has changed his relationships with his family or friends. You must include examples from at least two of his relationships with other people.
Essay Topic 2
Steve and King are very different people on trial for the same crime. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these two characters. Be sure to include both examples and details of what they look like, who they are, how they behave, etc., as well as an analysis of the strategies Walter Dean Myers employed to achieve these two different characters.
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Steve is African American plays an important role in the way his court case seems to go, as well as in the way he feels about himself. Describe and analyze the role that race plays in this narrative. You may want to include examples from other characters, white and black, to make your case.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)