|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lawyer requests a sidebar when Bobo enters the courtroom to testify?
2. What is left in the cash register, according to Detective Williams?
3. What does O'Brien say she has to find a way to do in the eyes of the jury, now that Bobo has testified?
4. What do the prisoners have for breakfast on Sunday, July 12th?
5. What item or items are found on the floor around Mr. Nesbitt's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Steve is made to mop the floor?
2. What is Briggs' objection to what Bobo is wearing when he testifies?
3. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
4. When Briggs questions Henry about identifying King, what does she admit about the photographs the police showed her?
5. How is the visual image of the courtroom just before Steve's verdict is read represented?
6. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
7. Why was Lorelle Henry in the pharmacy?
8. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
9. What is Sunset's verdict and sentence?
10. Who owns thel gun used in the crime, and is it a legal gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most significant players in Steve's life is Kathy O'Brien. Write a character analysis of Kathy O'Brien, explaining who she is, how she behaves, and what her role in this novel is. Be sure to offer specific textual passages showing how this character is developed throughout the novel. You may want to include whether or not Kathy O'Brien's character undergoes any changes, and if so, detail them.
Essay Topic 2
The time line and time frame of this novel are not chronological, but are told rather in flashbacks. Pick at least three specific examples of flashbacks in this book. With each example, describe and contextualize what came before it and what came after it. In addition, write analytical descriptions of the flashbacks. Be sure to include in your analysis why Myers chose to convey this specific information in flashback structure rather than in chronological order. What does the specific structure of each flashback add to the memory that Myers could not achieve with chronological order?
Essay Topic 3
While novels are written media, screenplays are the written version of a visual media, film. This book also contains several typographical elements as well as photographs and drawings to communicate visual information. Taking into account all of these formats, describe the fictional strategies Myers has employed to construct imagery and images in this book. How does he blend visual media with written media effectively?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)