|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steve see Jerry on Sunday, July 12?
2. Steve describes his fear of getting raped or beaten as what kind of object?
3. During Lorelle Henry's testimony, where does she say she was bringing her granddaughter?
4. What is the name of the prisoner who gave Detective Williams' partner a call with a tip about Bobo?
5. What kind of sports game is on TV Sunday, July 12th, which Steve said does not "look real"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien say she is going to do on the weekend of the 11th?
2. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
3. Once each lawyer has rested her case, Steve writes in his journal on Friday, July 17 that it's understandable why other prisoners are obsessed with appeals. What does he realize about their obsession?
4. What is the visitors' room like?
5. How is the visual image of the courtroom just before Steve's verdict is read represented?
6. What does O'Brien say about Petrocelli's bringing the crime scene photos out again just before the long weekend recess?
7. How does the medical examiner say Mr. Nesbitt died?
8. What does Henry mean in the pretrial questioning when she says she is having trouble testifying that King was involved in the crime?
9. What has O'Brien asked Steve to do when his response is to write down Mr. Sawicki's name twice?
10. Who is Eddie, and what is he accused of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme of this book is identity, particularly how Steve's identity is constructed or maintained. Write an analytical essay considering the ways in which Walter Dean Myers makes identity a theme. What are the symbolic or linguistic strategies Myers has employed to communicate and investigate Steve's identity? Be sure to offer a descriptive analysis of Steve's identity and identity crisis, using specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Steve and King are very different people on trial for the same crime. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these two characters. Be sure to include both examples and details of what they look like, who they are, how they behave, etc., as well as an analysis of the strategies Walter Dean Myers employed to achieve these two different characters.
Essay Topic 3
In a persuasive and analytical essay, describe the format of this novel. First, describe the various format(s) Myers uses in this novel. Second, decide whether or not you think one kind of format used in this novel is more effective than the other in communicating the major fictional elements: setting, characterization, imagery, symbolism, plot, action, etc. Be sure to write an essay with a strong argument about the effectiveness of the various format(s) you have described in the first part of the question.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)