Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard Evans' nickname in this book?
2. What color suit is Steve wearing when Osvaldo identifies him in court?
3. Which two items are taken away from prisoners, according to Steve?
4. Why is Steve having stomach problems on Wednesday, July 8?
5. Who is comforting whom at the end of the scene between Steve and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Steve gets dressed for court on Thursday, July 9 and thinks of his mother, what is she doing?
2. What is James King's verdict and sentence?
3. What does Star Wars have to do with the way Steve designs the beginning of his film?
4. In the prologue, Steve says "they say you get used to being in jail." What is Steve's take on this passage?
5. What are the reasons, according to O'Brien, that Steve should take this trial "very, very seriously"?
6. Why does Johnny, the ringleader of the eventual crime, want to rob a pharmacy instead of a bank?
7. Why does O'Brien say things are looking bad for Steve's case after Osvaldo's testimony?
8. What does Henry mean in the pretrial questioning when she says she is having trouble testifying that King was involved in the crime?
9. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
10. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
Essay Topic 1
In a persuasive and analytical essay, describe the format of this novel. First, describe the various format(s) Myers uses in this novel. Second, decide whether or not you think one kind of format used in this novel is more effective than the other in communicating the major fictional elements: setting, characterization, imagery, symbolism, plot, action, etc. Be sure to write an essay with a strong argument about the effectiveness of the various format(s) you have described in the first part of the question.
Essay Topic 2
While novels are written media, screenplays are the written version of a visual media, film. This book also contains several typographical elements as well as photographs and drawings to communicate visual information. Taking into account all of these formats, describe the fictional strategies Myers has employed to construct imagery and images in this book. How does he blend visual media with written media effectively?
Essay Topic 3
A major theme of this book is identity, particularly how Steve's identity is constructed or maintained. Write an analytical essay considering the ways in which Walter Dean Myers makes identity a theme. What are the symbolic or linguistic strategies Myers has employed to communicate and investigate Steve's identity? Be sure to offer a descriptive analysis of Steve's identity and identity crisis, using specific examples.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)