|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the credits in Chapter One, Kathy O'Brien is credited as what?
2. What is the name of the prisoner who starts a fight with the preacher visiting the jail?
3. Who is comforting whom at the end of the scene between Steve and his father?
4. What is Steve wearing when his father comes to visit him in prison?
5. In the prologue, Steve says if anyone is prison knows you are crying, what will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve say in his journal for Tuesday, July 7, that all the other prisoners are always talking about?
2. When Steve decides to write a movie, what does he say it will be a story of?
3. What does Steve say happens if anyone knows you are crying in prison?
4. Why is one of the other prisoners, Acie, not worried about his impending verdict?
5. What does Steve think his father's crying means?
6. Why does Johnny, the ringleader of the eventual crime, want to rob a pharmacy instead of a bank?
7. In the prologue, Steve says "they say you get used to being in jail." What is Steve's take on this passage?
8. How can Steve's lawyer be described?
9. When does Steve say he feels most involved with his case?
10. When the newscaster in Steve's "notes" section of the screenplay asks a passerby if he is shocked by the crime, what is the man's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most significant players in Steve's life is Kathy O'Brien. Write a character analysis of Kathy O'Brien, explaining who she is, how she behaves, and what her role in this novel is. Be sure to offer specific textual passages showing how this character is developed throughout the novel. You may want to include whether or not Kathy O'Brien's character undergoes any changes, and if so, detail them.
Essay Topic 2
Steve and King are very different people on trial for the same crime. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these two characters. Be sure to include both examples and details of what they look like, who they are, how they behave, etc., as well as an analysis of the strategies Walter Dean Myers employed to achieve these two different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Walter Dean Myers uses film and a screenplay format not only as a narrative mode, but also as a metaphor and symbol in Steve's life. In an analytical essay explaining how film works literally as well as symbolically in this novel, describe the ways in which "film" plays an important role in Steve's life. What are some of the things that characterize the role film plays?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)