|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the screenplay description of the inmates "yelling from cell to cell," what distinguishes their yells?
2. Where does the exterior shot take place in the screenplay following the note of Tuesday, July 7?
3. What stolen goods does Wendell Bolton buy?
4. What causes the delay in the trial on Wednesday, July 8?
5. What does Acie say about the verdict he expects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Steve's parents act when they come to visit on Sunday the 12th?
2. How does Detective Karyl describe the crime scene at the pharmacy?
3. What is so shocking about Steve's father crying?
4. Why did King visit Ms. Moore on the day of the crime?
5. Who owns thel gun used in the crime, and is it a legal gun?
6. In the first journal entry, why does Steve say he does not recognize himself?
7. What does Wendell Bolden look and act like?
8. When Briggs questions Henry about identifying King, what does she admit about the photographs the police showed her?
9. On Sunday the 12th, how does Steve see his brother Jerry?
10. In his journal notes for Tuesday, July 7, why does Steve say he needs to keep thinking of the movie?
Essay Topic 1
One of the most significant players in Steve's life is Kathy O'Brien. Write a character analysis of Kathy O'Brien, explaining who she is, how she behaves, and what her role in this novel is. Be sure to offer specific textual passages showing how this character is developed throughout the novel. You may want to include whether or not Kathy O'Brien's character undergoes any changes, and if so, detail them.
Essay Topic 2
In a persuasive and analytical essay, describe the format of this novel. First, describe the various format(s) Myers uses in this novel. Second, decide whether or not you think one kind of format used in this novel is more effective than the other in communicating the major fictional elements: setting, characterization, imagery, symbolism, plot, action, etc. Be sure to write an essay with a strong argument about the effectiveness of the various format(s) you have described in the first part of the question.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific textual examples, describe and contextualize the way Walter Dean Myers uses the word "monster" in this book. Be sure to consider how the author means it literally as well as metaphorically or symbolically, and be sure to discuss to which character(s) this word applies.
This section contains 1,993 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)