|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Steve worried that his father sees when he looks down at him?
(a) A monster.
(b) A son.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A mistake.
2. What does O'Brien say to Steve after Osvaldo's testimony that makes him discouraged?
(a) That she knows what he is really like.
(b) That Osvaldo is trustworthy.
(c) That she thinks he is guilty.
(d) That things look bad for him.
3. What part of the movie does Steve feel like he has walked into in the prologue?
(a) The credits.
(b) The climax.
(c) The beginning.
(d) The middle.
4. In the prologue, Steve is surprised that the prisoners still do what, even though they are strangers?
(a) Find reasons to hurt each other.
(b) Ignore each other.
(c) Find ways to love each other.
(d) Get along well.
5. What does Steve say about the camera in the kind of movie he feels his life is like in the prologue?
(a) That it stays far away.
(b) That it moves in too close.
(c) That it is a hidden camera.
(d) That it is a broken camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of this book?
2. What do the guards do after the prisoner starts a fight when the preacher visits?
3. If Steve is sentenced to 25 years to life, at least how much time will he have to serve, according to O'Brien?
4. Which superhero does Jerry think Steve should be?
5. Which prisoner is sitting on the toilet in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Steve not hungry on the morning of Monday, July 6?
2. How does the typeface of Steve's journal entries indicate stress or special meaning on certain words?
3. Why does Johnny, the ringleader of the eventual crime, want to rob a pharmacy instead of a bank?
4. What does Steve say about why he thinks Petrocelli is using Bolden's testimony?
5. What is so shocking about Steve's father crying?
6. Why do the charges against Wendell Bolden get dropped?
7. When Steve gets dressed for court on Thursday, July 9 and thinks of his mother, what is she doing?
8. In the first journal entry, why does Steve say he does not recognize himself?
9. What does Wendell Bolden look and act like?
10. When the newscaster in Steve's "notes" section of the screenplay asks a passerby if he is shocked by the crime, what is the man's response?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)