Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Richard Evans' nickname in this book?
2. What color suit is Steve wearing when Osvaldo identifies him in court?
3. Which two items are taken away from prisoners, according to Steve?
(a) Shoelaces and belts.
(b) Shoes and shoelaces.
(c) Glasses and medicine.
(d) Money and shoes.
4. Why is Steve having stomach problems on Wednesday, July 8?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) The prison food is bad.
(c) He has allergies.
(d) He cannot use the bathroom in front of the other prisoners.
5. Who is comforting whom at the end of the scene between Steve and his father?
(a) A guard comforts Steve's father.
(b) Sunset comforts Steve.
(c) Steve comforts his father.
(d) His father comforts Steve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Brien say to Steve after Osvaldo's testimony that makes him discouraged?
2. What does the prisoner who wants to read Steve's screenplay want to do with the word 'Monster'?
3. The opening credits of the movie in Chapter 1 are designed to look like the opening credits of what famous film?
4. In the credits in Chapter One, Kathy O'Brien is credited as what?
5. What do the guards do after the prisoner starts a fight when the preacher visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Steve gets dressed for court on Thursday, July 9 and thinks of his mother, what is she doing?
2. What is James King's verdict and sentence?
3. What does Star Wars have to do with the way Steve designs the beginning of his film?
4. In the prologue, Steve says "they say you get used to being in jail." What is Steve's take on this passage?
5. What are the reasons, according to O'Brien, that Steve should take this trial "very, very seriously"?
6. Why does Johnny, the ringleader of the eventual crime, want to rob a pharmacy instead of a bank?
7. Why does O'Brien say things are looking bad for Steve's case after Osvaldo's testimony?
8. What does Henry mean in the pretrial questioning when she says she is having trouble testifying that King was involved in the crime?
9. When O'Brien comes to see Steve on July 14 after Bobo's testimony, what does she say she has to now do in court to save Steve?
10. How do readers know what Steve's verdict is, based on the screenplay?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)