|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what is Steve writing down his story?
(a) A notebook.
(b) On his arm.
(c) The margins of his Bible.
(d) On the walls of his cell.
2. The stage directions refer to Wendell Bolden's hands as what?
(a) Tiny, dry.
(b) Giant, dry.
(c) Large, ashy.
(d) Sweaty, cracked.
3. What is Steve wearing when his father comes to visit him in prison?
(a) An orange jumpsuit.
(b) Striped pajamas.
(c) Shorts and t-shirt.
(d) A suit.
4. In the credits in Chapter 1, James King is credited as what?
(a) The Criminal.
(b) The Hood.
(c) The Innocent.
(d) The Thug.
5. In the prologue, Steve says if anyone is prison knows you are crying, what will happen?
(a) They will beat you up only.
(b) They will also cry.
(c) They will talk about it only.
(d) They will talk about it and beat you up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steve say about the camera in the kind of movie he feels his life is like in the prologue?
2. What reason does Steve provide for why two particular items are taken away from prisoners?
3. Who calls Steve "youngblood" in the screenplay following the note of Tuesday, July 7?
4. Why does the prisoner who wants to read Steve's screenplay say he likes the screenplay?
5. How old is Steve's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of knife does one prisoner have? Describe it.
2. In his journal notes for Tuesday, July 7, why does Steve say he needs to keep thinking of the movie?
3. When Steve decides to write a movie, what does he say it will be a story of?
4. Why is one of the other prisoners, Acie, not worried about his impending verdict?
5. How does the typeface of Steve's journal entries indicate stress or special meaning on certain words?
6. Why does O'Brien say things are looking bad for Steve's case after Osvaldo's testimony?
7. When does Steve say he feels most involved with his case?
8. How can Steve's lawyer be described?
9. Why does the first shot of the movie (Monday, July 6) feature Steve lying with the blanket over his head?
10. When the newscaster in Steve's "notes" section of the screenplay asks a passerby if he is shocked by the crime, what is the man's response?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)