|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnic group is winning the war in Folsom prison?
2. Why does Muhammad ask Kody and his group to leave the Islam service?
3. How does Tray Ball die?
4. What does Kody hear that amazes him at the second Islam service he attends?
5. How long does Kody serve in California state prison before he is paroled in the chapter "Nation Time?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the C.C.O. has a positive influence on Kody?
2. What are Kody's feelings about gangs at the end of the book?
3. How does the New Afrikan Independence Movement begin to change Kody's thinking about gangs?
4. How is Kody struggling with his gang life while in the youth facility?
5. In the chapter, "Nation Time", Kody is released from prison after a long sentence. How is Kody's life different now that he has left the Tray Eights?
6. How does Suma influence Kody?
7. How does Muhammad continue to influence Kody once he leaves the youth facility?
8. Who is Walter Brown and how does he affect Kody?
9. At the end of book, why does Kody return to jail?
10. In the final chapter, what does Kody tell the reader about the choices he has made in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Students will write a persuasive essay convincing a sixth grade student (since that was the age when Kody joined the Tray Eights) why he or she should not join a gang. Essay should be written from Kody's point of view and include examples from his life to support the arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Suppose Kody grew up in the neighborhood where he attended the "white" school (El Camino Real High School). How would his life have been different? How would it remained the same? How much does neighborhood influence the decisions you make? Provide text evidence where possible. Do not simply use your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Kody leads a tragic life. Explain what is meant by this statement. In your response, be sure to include:
1). One tragic event that supports this statement.
2). One tragic relationship that supports this statement.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)