|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter "48 Hours" why is Kody removed from his cell?
2. What happens to Joker's mother and brother?
3. Why is Kody kept on "The Rock," the solitary lock down part of the Youth Facility?
4. Who introduces Kody to the New Afrikan Independence Movement?
5. What is Kody arrested for in the final chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kody goes to visit Crazy De in jail and determines that have a different outlook on gangs. How are their viewpoints different?
2. How is Kody struggling with his gang life while in the youth facility?
3. How is the new Crips organization similar to the old one?
4. How does the New Afrikan Independence Movement begin to change Kody's thinking about gangs?
5. How does Suma influence Kody?
6. Describe how loyalty is a major idea in the chapter, "Tamu."
7. Do you think the C.C.O. has a positive influence on Kody?
8. At the end of book, why does Kody return to jail?
9. In "Nation Time," Kody is out with Tamu and their kids. Their car is pulled over by the police. Describe how the police treat Kody and how he responds to this treatment.
10. How does Muhammad continue to influence Kody once he leaves the youth facility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Students will write a persuasive essay convincing a sixth grade student (since that was the age when Kody joined the Tray Eights) why he or she should not join a gang. Essay should be written from Kody's point of view and include examples from his life to support the arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Kody is a very complex person who goes through many changes in his young life. Explain how Kody changes from when the reader first meets him in 6th grade until where his story ends (for now). In your answer, be sure to use text evidence to support these changes. Questions to think about include: How do Kody relationships change with different people in his life? How does Kody's thinking and involvement with gangs change?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Kody put the gang above everything else in his life? Be sure to address the following people:
1). His family.
2). Tamu and his children.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)