|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kody realize about the Crips and his gang activity while he is in jail?
2. Why did Kody want to rob the store at that time?
3. What is a road dog?
4. What is Kody doing while Tamu is giving birth to their daughter?
5. What is a "ghetto star"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it foolish for Kody to be alone at night, unarmed?
2. Why might Kody feel guilty the night that he and Joe Joe check out Western Surplus?
3. In the chapter "Ambush," Kody talks about how gang members are treated. What does he say about how did the gang members treat each other?
4. Describe Kody's relationship with his mother in the chapter "Boys to Men."
5. Describe the time Kody and his brother were arguing over a piece of trash.
6. After a fight outside of Western Surplus, Kody is shot. How do you think this will affect his gang activities?
7. When in the hospital for getting shot in the back, how does Kody view his own life and mortality?
8. By the time Kody tries to rob the Western Surplus store, how powerful has he become in the Tray Eights gang?
9. How does Kody's mother continue to show support for her son after he is released from jail and shot in the back?
10. In the chapter, "The Juvenile Tank" Kody deals with a lot of violence. How does these events begin to change Kody's thoughts about his gang life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suppose Kody grew up in the neighborhood where he attended the "white" school (El Camino Real High School). How would his life have been different? How would it remained the same? How much does neighborhood influence the decisions you make? Provide text evidence where possible. Do not simply use your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
At first, Kody does not like Muhammad. How do his feelings change over time? Why do you think Kody's thinking changes? Be sure to address the transformation of Kody's thinking. What were Kody's feelings about it in the beginning, middle, and end?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Kody's mother's role in her sons' lives. Both Kody and Kershaun are heavily involved in gangs. She never seemed to break through to Kody, who did not respect her wishes for him to leave the gang.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)