|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Juvenile Tank," where is Kody shot after a struggle over a gun ensues?
2. In the chapter, "The War," why does Kody regret walking home alone from a friend's house?
3. What does Kody fear will happen to his sister?
4. When Kody gets to the store he wants to rob, why do four girls want to go with him?
5. What does Kody mean when he says that the gang is like a complex military organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kody, what effect does the media have on gang activities?
2. Why is China upset with Kody?
3. How does Kody treat his new school opportunity after he is transferred to a "white" school?
4. Name a quality that best describes Kody in the first chapter and use text evidence to explain your opinion.
5. How does China's grandfather show his disdain for gangs?
6. In the chapter, "Can't Stop, Won't Stop, Kody finds himself in jail. How does Kody show his strength as a leader even in jail?
7. Describe Kody's initiation into the gang.
8. Describe the fight scene between Kody, Li'l Hunchy and the men outside of the Western Surplus store.
9. In the chapter "Boys to Men", do Kody demonstrate any remorse his violent actions?
10. Why might Kody feel guilty the night that he and Joe Joe check out Western Surplus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kody leads a tragic life. Explain what is meant by this statement. In your response, be sure to include:
1). One tragic event that supports this statement.
2). One tragic relationship that supports this statement.
Essay Topic 2
At first, Kody does not like Muhammad. How do his feelings change over time? Why do you think Kody's thinking changes? Be sure to address the transformation of Kody's thinking. What were Kody's feelings about it in the beginning, middle, and end?
Essay Topic 3
Kody influences many people, especially his younger brother, Kershaun. Describe how he follows in his big brother's footsteps. In your response, be sure to include information about:
1). The ways Kody influences his brother's decisions to join a gang.
2). Describe their encounters when they are both gang members.
3). Explain how Kershaun changes once he leaves the gang.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)