|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kody taking the bus home after being released from jail at the start of "The Juvenile Tank?"
2. Who is Crazy De?
3. Why does Kody want to fight these men outside the store he wants to rob?
4. What does Kody do after he climbs out his window of his mother's house?
5. Which of the following does NOT happen to Kody during his initiation into the Tray Eights gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is China upset with Kody?
2. In the chapter "Ambush," Kody talks about how gang members are treated. What does he say about how did the gang members treat each other?
3. What actions from this chapter illustrate Kody's violence?
4. In the chapter, "The Juvenile Tank" Kody deals with a lot of violence. How does these events begin to change Kody's thoughts about his gang life?
5. Describe what happens when Kody and his crew try to steal a van.
6. How does a member's gang affiliation affect their families?
7. Why is it foolish for Kody to be alone at night, unarmed?
8. How does Kody's mother show concern for him when he is released the hospital?
9. How does China's grandfather show his disdain for gangs?
10. Describe Kody's relationship with Tamu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the African Independence Movement Kody joins towards the end of the book similar to a gang? How is it different? Write a comparative essay that addresses the similarities and differences between the two groups.
Essay Topic 2
Kody is a very complex person who goes through many changes in his young life. Explain how Kody changes from when the reader first meets him in 6th grade until where his story ends (for now). In your answer, be sure to use text evidence to support these changes. Questions to think about include: How do Kody relationships change with different people in his life? How does Kody's thinking and involvement with gangs change?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Kody put the gang above everything else in his life? Be sure to address the following people:
1). His family.
2). Tamu and his children.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)