|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives Kody to the hospital after he is shot while trying to steal a car?
2. Who is Crazy De?
3. What store does Kody go to with his mother that is in Rollin' Sixties turf?
4. Why do the police visit Kody in the hospital?
5. In "Can't Stop, Won't Stop," who does Kody see get booked for murder when he arrives back in jail after returning to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kody's mother continue to show support for her son after he is released from jail and shot in the back?
2. Describe Kody's relationship with his hospital nurse.
3. Why do Kody and Crazy De create a plan to section off the gang?
4. In the chapter, "Can't Stop, Won't Stop, Kody finds himself in jail. How does Kody show his strength as a leader even in jail?
5. How did Kody and his crew send a message to would-be kidnappers?
6. What does Kody's mother help him to realize while he is in jail in the chapter, "The War"?
7. How does a member's gang affiliation affect their families?
8. How does China's grandfather show his disdain for gangs?
9. Name a quality that best describes Kody in the first chapter and use text evidence to explain your opinion.
10. In the chapter, "The Juvenile Tank," Kody is reflective about prison gangs. According to Kody, how does prison strengthen the gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kody's neighborhood affect the choices that he makes? Think about the social, political, and economic climate of inner city Los Angeles. You may want to do some brief research (statistics about socioeconomic issues, poverty levels, crime statistics) to fully understand gang life in L.A. during this time.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two individuals from the book and compare them to Kody. Make sure to include the following information:
1). Describe each person, including Kody.
2). Explain how they are similar and different to each other.
3). Explain how they are similar and different to Kody.
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty and revenge are almost like people in the book. Explain what is meant by this statement. Be sure to explain the role loyalty and revenge have throughout Kody's autobiography, how big that role is, and how loyalty and revenge are important to Kody and the Tray Eights.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)