|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter "Boys to Men", Kody describes a time that he has trouble sleeping. What is he thinking about when he cannot sleep?
(a) He sleeps very well at night.
(b) He is upset that he disappoints his mother.
(c) He feels guilty.
(d) He thinks about how he had not worked hard enough for the gang.
2. What does Kody's mother realize about her son after the shooting at the store?
(a) She despises Kody.
(b) Kody is more involved in the gang than she previously thought.
(c) She is thankful her son has a gun so he can protect her.
(d) Gang war is raging in her neighborhood.
3. What does Twinky's mother ask Kody to do about April?
(a) She wants Kody and April to start dating.
(b) Remove her from the gang.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Talk to her to see if she has anything to do with Twinky's death.
4. What television show does Kody watch when gets home after the bike incident?
(a) Benny Hill.
(b) Laverne and Shirley.
(c) Ripley's Believe It or Not.
(d) Happy Days.
5. What kind of car does Kody shoot into when he is hanging out at China's house?
(c) Police car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What store does Kody go to with his mother that is in Rollin' Sixties turf?
2. Why is Kody's mother angry at the hospital staff in the chapter, "The Juvenile Tank?"
3. Where is Kody's mother during the shooting at the store?
4. What happens to Joe Joe after Kody shoots out the street light?
5. Why does Kody want to fight these men outside the store he wants to rob?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name a quality that best describes Kody in the first chapter and use text evidence to explain your opinion.
2. Describe Kody's relationship with his hospital nurse.
3. Describe Kody's relationship with his mother in the chapter "Boys to Men."
4. In the chapter "Boys to Men", do Kody demonstrate any remorse his violent actions?
5. What actions from this chapter illustrate Kody's violence?
6. How does China's grandfather show his disdain for gangs?
7. After a fight outside of Western Surplus, Kody is shot. How do you think this will affect his gang activities?
8. By the end of the first chapter, Kody begins to show signs of a struggle with gang life. In what ways is he having difficulty with his choices?
9. How did Kody and his crew send a message to would-be kidnappers?
10. How does Kody treat his new school opportunity after he is transferred to a "white" school?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)