|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Morris use the monkey paw?
2. Morris says men should not interfere with __________.
3. How many men have used the monkey paw?
4. What does Morris say should be done with the monkey paw?
5. How much money does White's son suggest wishing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herbert say he hopes for now that they have the Monkey Paw?
2. How does Morris say life will go forward after a wish is made?
3. What does Mr. White hear after he makes the third wish?
4. How are the Whites told of their son's injury?
5. Why does Mr. White hesitate to make the second wish his wife asks for?
6. How does the author describe Mrs. White when she has her idea for the second wish?
7. What kind of relationship do the Whites have with their son?
8. How does Mrs. White respond to the gift from the visitor?
9. How do the Whites respond to the knock on the door the morning after the wish?
10. How does Mr. White act the morning after the wish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the Whites differ in response to their son's death?
Essay Topic 2
The visitor was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)