|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like at the beginning of the book?
2. What is the monkey paw meant to show?
3. What does Morris say should be done with the monkey paw?
4. Where has Mr. White always wanted to travel?
5. What does White do to distract the person he is playing a game with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. White act the morning after the wish?
2. What does the visitor bring the Whites?
3. How does Mr. White feel about the idea of people's wishes being answered?
4. How does the author advance the plot in the last chapter of the book?
5. What does Mrs. White understand before her husband?
6. What does the family do after the first wish is made?
7. Why has the visitor come to the White's house?
8. Why does Mr. White not want the second wish to be granted?
9. What does Herbert say he hopes for now that they have the Monkey Paw?
10. What causes Mrs. White to think that her second wish will not be granted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Herbert die, and what led to this death?
Essay Topic 2
The Whites both endure many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons did they learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)