* The Whites are waiting for a friend at the beginning of the book and are complaining about the harsh weather.
* Mr. White and his son are playing Chess. Mr. White makes a mistake and tries to hide it from his son, but can't, and he loses.
* Sergeant Major Morris comes in, and he tells of some of his travels in India. White asks about the Monkey Paw, and Morris takes it out of his pocket.
* Morris says the paw was hexed by a fakir to give three wishes to three men. He did this to show that men should not interfere with fate.
* Herbert asks if Morris made his wishes, and he says he did, but will say nothing of them except that they all brought him sorrow.
* Morris says he got the paw from the previous owner whose last wish of the paw was death.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)