|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pigsy, Monkey and Sandy run to?
2. What will the town give Monkey and the others if they sacrifice the boy and girl?
3. What kind of fish tells the monster how to catch Tripitaka?
4. Who gives the travelers the scriptures?
5. Where is the fish from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Pigsy and Monkey force the monster to retreat?
2. In what way is Tripitaka not necessarily the leader of the group?
3. Why does the deity that cares for the town want to sacrifice the boy and girl?
4. How does Monkey bring the Emporer back to life?
5. How does Monkey defeat the immortals?
6. Why does Buddha not give Pigsy the title of Buddha?
7. How do Monkey and the others get an audience with the false King?
8. In what way are Monkey and Pigsy's characters changing in this chapter?
9. What does Tripitaka dream about after getting across the lake?
10. Why do Monkey and the others have to stop traveling when they get to the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Monkey's character to the character he was at the beginning of the book to the character he is at the end.
1. What did Monkey hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Monkey's ideas about life?
3. How has Monkey's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1500s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)