|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tripitaka waiting for Pigsy and Monkey?
2. What will the town give Monkey and the others if they sacrifice the boy and girl?
3. What is Sandy's new title?
4. Who rules Cart Slow?
5. What do the monster and Pigsy and Monkey do when their true forms have been revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Bodhisattva stop Monkey from destroying the wizard?
2. How do the travelers get to Buddha's paradise from the village?
3. Why does the deity that cares for the town want to sacrifice the boy and girl?
4. Summarize the book.
5. What are the character's new names?
6. What does Tripitaka dream about after getting across the lake?
7. How can Tripitaka prove what the King told him is true?
8. Why does the monster want to eat Tripitaka?
9. How does Kuan-yin summon her magical fish?
10. Why does Lao refuse to help Monkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in Chinese society? What role does religion play in Western society? Why has religion has lost its impact in Western society? Has religion lost its impact in China as well?
Essay Topic 3
Monkey is translated from Chinese into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)