|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the village been saved from when the travelers reach the shore?
2. Where does the wind drop the travelers?
3. Where do Monkey and the others rest the night after they leave Cart Slow?
4. What takes the travelers homeward?
5. Why does the turtle leave the travelers to swim to shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke does Pigsy play on Monkey?
2. Why do Monkey and the others have to stop traveling when they get to the river?
3. Why does the monster want to eat Tripitaka?
4. Why does Buddha not give Pigsy the title of Buddha?
5. How do Monkey and the others get an audience with the false King?
6. What does the turtle ask the travelers to ask Buddha?
7. Why does Lao refuse to help Monkey?
8. What does Monkey find out about the city Cart Slow?
9. Summarize the book.
10. How does Kuan-yin summon her magical fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare Monkey's character to the character he was at the beginning of the book to the character he is at the end.
1. What did Monkey hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Monkey's ideas about life?
3. How has Monkey's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)