|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Monkey and the others required to sacrifice at the village?
2. Why does Lao eventually give Monkey one pill for the Emperor?
3. Who killed the King of Crow-Cock?
4. Which character rode on the dragon which is promoted to one of the eight senior heavenly dragons?
5. What does the perch tell the monster to make the weather like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. Why does Buddha not give Pigsy the title of Buddha?
3. How does Kuan-yin summon her magical fish?
4. What does Monkey find out about the city Cart Slow?
5. Why does the Bodhisattva stop Monkey from destroying the wizard?
6. What are the character's new names?
7. How is Sandy different to Monkey and Pigsy?
8. In what way are Monkey and Pigsy's characters changing in this chapter?
9. Why do Monkey and the others have to stop traveling when they get to the river?
10. How do the travelers get to Buddha's paradise from the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1500s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)